Brand new GTX 460, crashes at 82C. Is it the card?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I'm pretty sure with the retail card I bought (not this RMA replacement) I used Afterburner to set the fan speed to max for the entire duration of the OCCT test, and while the temperatures did creep up significantly slower, it still ultimately reached 80C or so and crashed.

BTW, I believe THIS is the real issue at hand. Take a minute or two and check out just that page of that article. It basically details why GTX 460's (that use the reference board, like this one) aren't designed to withstand the increased power requirements such a huge overclock impose.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
You missed quite a few important questions in post #21.
Fan speed ramp up, case, airflow, games?

I don't have Crysis, or anything really stressful to test with (other than Furmark, OCCT, etc., which should suffice). The fan speed never increases to a noticeable degree when playing Borderlands. I think I've checked GPUz and/or Afterburner and I've seen fan speeds of possibly as high as 60%, but I think they've been staying in the 50-60% range at most.

I'm using an Antec P180 case. I have a 120/38mm fan blowing from the front of the case, unimpeded (other than maybe a couple SATA wires and PCI-e cables mildly blocking direct flow) in the direct of the video card. Again, this exact same setup I got 85C max in Furmark with my EVGA GTX 260 (Anandtech's bench tool shows 84C Furmark for the same card).

I've only played Borderlands and WoW.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
EVGA made this card to run at 850/975. I will not underclock it to get it to run. If a company designs and sells a retail card at a specific core/clock frequency, there should not be a limit of what programs you can run at those speeds. You should be able to stress that card to 100% of it's ability, at it's default (set by the manufacturer, in this case EVGA) speeds, without crashing. 80-82C is significantly below the temp threshold for these cards. When idling, this card is around 34-36C.

No, I haven't tried a different fan profile. I don't understand why I should need to though? Don't these cards know how to cool themselves? Again, this card is running with the default specs designed by EVGA. My old EVGA GTX 260, in this same case, same PSU, same fans, etc., got up to about 85C in Furmark, and settled there. No crashes, nothing like that.

BTW, I haven't really tested it with this card yet, but the card I got from Newegg ran about 60C max running Borderlands.

You can be as bitter as you want to be about EVGA giving you the shaft on a card that ships from the factory at its limits, but to save yourself a world of RMA pain, just let this go. Your card works fine in gaming. OCCT f's it up. Forget about it. Worrying about this isn't worth it.

And no, 82C is not significantly below the temp threshold for these cards. You're comparing it to a GTX260. Other GTX460 owners here have told you 82C is too high. Furmark load GPU temp on Anandtech for a GTX460 FTW was 74C: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/...enewing-competition-in-the-midrange-market/20.

And every enthusiast out there uses custom fan profiles, either to keep a card quieter or to keep it cooler. The standard profiles sometimes end up being too slow for serious gaming.

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I'm pretty sure with the retail card I bought (not this RMA replacement) I used Afterburner to set the fan speed to max for the entire duration of the OCCT test, and while the temperatures did creep up significantly slower, it still ultimately reached 80C or so and crashed.

BTW, I believe THIS is the real issue at hand. Take a minute or two and check out just that page of that article. It basically details why GTX 460's (that use the reference board, like this one) aren't designed to withstand the increased power requirements such a huge overclock impose.

Since you don't seem to want to answer my questions or try to find solution based on simple troubleshooting, I'll leave you to continue your rant. Meanwhile,I'll be playing crysis 2 Ultra details, with a decent fan profile, good case airflow and leave OCCT testing to you.:p

Good luck.

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
Since you don't seem to want to answer my questions or try to find solution based on simple troubleshooting, I'll leave you to continue your rant. Meanwhile,I'll be playing crysis 2 Ultra details, with a decent fan profile, good case airflow and leave OCCT testing to you.

Good luck.

But he did... answer...

I don't have Crysis, or anything really stressful to test with (other than Furmark, OCCT, etc., which should suffice). The fan speed never increases to a noticeable degree when playing Borderlands. I think I've checked GPUz and/or Afterburner and I've seen fan speeds of possibly as high as 60%, but I think they've been staying in the 50-60% range at most.

I'm using an Antec P180 case. I have a 120/38mm fan blowing from the front of the case, unimpeded (other than maybe a couple SATA wires and PCI-e cables mildly blocking direct flow) in the direct of the video card. Again, this exact same setup I got 85C max in Furmark with my EVGA GTX 260 (Anandtech's bench tool shows 84C Furmark for the same card).

I've only played Borderlands and WoW.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Since you don't seem to want to answer my questions or try to find solution based on simple troubleshooting, I'll leave you to continue your rant. Meanwhile,I'll be playing crysis 2 Ultra details, with a decent fan profile, good case airflow and leave OCCT testing to you.:p

Good luck.

But he did... answer...

Uh oh, Happy and Lincoln going at it again...

OP, better run, cuz this thing is gonna blow!

But seriously, load up some games and play them. Come back to us (and maybe EVGA) if the card still crashes.

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
The fan speed never increases to a noticeable degree when playing Borderlands. I think I've checked GPUz and/or Afterburner and I've seen fan speeds of possibly as high as 60%, but I think they've been staying in the 50-60% range at most.

I got your PM , I posted the same time you answered.
Thats seems fine to me. Like Termie said play some games forget the stupid OCCT program, what are your temps while playing Borderlands? they should be in the high 60's or low 70's depending on you cases airflow.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
You can be as bitter as you want to be about EVGA giving you the shaft on a card that ships from the factory at its limits, but to save yourself a world of RMA pain, just let this go. Your card works fine in gaming. OCCT f's it up. Forget about it. Worrying about this isn't worth it.

I'm not familiar with folding@home, or other programs that use the GPU to power them, but aren't there other programs out there, besides games, that stress GPUs to levels near or equal to Furmark, OCCT, etc? Or at least more than your average game? What if a newer game comes out that stresses my card more than Crysis, or something like Metro 2033? Am I weird for not being settled on spending $160 on an item that "might" crash down the road if programs become demanding enough? That's no kinda piece of mind that I'm comfortable with. Why do Anandtech and just about every review site out there use Furmark to test the cards they review? What do you think their recommendation of a card would be if Furmark crashed it every time?

And no, 82C is not significantly below the temp threshold for these cards.

That's not what nvidia says - Link, but what do they know? =P (scroll to bottom of specifications tab)

That card uses a different cooler than mine. Besides, I'm not running the card in unreasonable conditions (77F in my apartment), etc.

Last edited:

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
what are your temps while playing Borderlands? they should be in the high 60's or low 70's depending on you cases airflow.

I actually already answered this question earlier. You actually quoted my answer in one of your replies, lol =) I cap out about 60C in Borderlands, usually hovering in the upper 50's.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I actually already answered this question earlier. You actually quoted my answer in one of your replies, lol =) I cap out about 60C in Borderlands, usually hovering in the upper 50's.

I thought that was fan speed my bad, you used % sign and it through me off.

Last edited:

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Update: Used Afterburner to set fan speed to 100%. It was loud as hell, of course; like a mini hair dryer. Anyway, I was able to run Furmark for 15 mins straight without crashing. I guess I'm content with that. At least I know that the card is capable of running 100% for an extended period of time IF the right cooling is applied. If I have any issues in the future, where certain games do stress it to the point of crashing, I'll take that up with EVGA. The card has a 10-year warranty, so I imagine that'll more than cover the life of this card.

Thanks for the replies =)

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I'm not familiar with folding@home, or other programs that use the GPU to power them, but aren't there other programs out there, besides games, that stress GPUs to levels near or equal to Furmark, OCCT, etc? Or at least more than your average game? What if a newer game comes out that stresses my card more than Crysis, or something like Metro 2033? Am I weird for not being settled on spending $160 on an item that "might" crash down the road if programs become demanding enough? That's no kinda piece of mind that I'm comfortable with. Why do Anandtech and just about every review site out there use Furmark to test the cards they review? What do you think their recommendation of a card would be if Furmark crashed it every time?

If Furmark crashed a benchmarked card, I'm sure the reviewer would mention it. For some reason, your card is heating up more than others. Bad luck, or something wrong with airflow, or maybe a bit of both.

That's not what nvidia says - Link, but what do they know? =P (scroll to bottom of specifications tab)

Yeah, they say 104C. That's before the thing melts! You can't possibly run this card anywhere close to 100C before the thing crashing.

That card uses a different cooler than mine. Besides, I'm not running the card in unreasonable conditions (77F in my apartment), etc.

I'm pretty sure EVGA has used nothing but the reference cooler on its GTX460s, except for the odd EE edition, which was both hotter and louder. Trust me on this...

Anyway, I've got the same cooler you do, and I can get up to 77C in a poorly ventilated HTPC using Furmark.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Update: Used Afterburner to set fan speed to 100%. It was loud as hell, of course; like a mini hair dryer. Anyway, I was able to run Furmark for 15 mins straight without crashing. I guess I'm content with that. At least I know that the card is capable of running 100% for an extended period of time IF the right cooling is applied. If I have any issues in the future, where certain games do stress it to the point of crashing, I'll take that up with EVGA. The card has a 10-year warranty, so I imagine that'll more than cover the life of this card.

Good!

I just wish I was here a month ago before you RMA'd the other one.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Good!

I just wish I was here a month ago before you RMA'd the other one.

Well, tbh, if my memory isn't failing me, I believe I DID try what I just did, but the card still crashed. So, I suppose I was anticipating a repeat of what I did (or possibly didn't) do previously. I know that I previously set the fan speed to 100%, and I believe that I ran Furmark after doing so.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Well, tbh, if my memory isn't failing me, I believe I DID try what I just did, but the card still crashed. So, I suppose I was anticipating a repeat of what I did (or possibly didn't) do previously. I know that I previously set the fan speed to 100%, and I believe that I ran Furmark after doing so.

I looked hard and long at that card, but bought the one I have, it just had buy me, and overclock me written all over it.:cool:

Just look at it................not bad for 149$ AR shipped, I paid 20$ more a while back.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=gtx460%20hawk

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com

Indeed, good news.

Time to update that sig!

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I looked hard and long at that card, but bought the one I have, it just had buy me, and overclock me written all over it.:cool:

Just look at it................not bad for 149$ AR shipped, I paid 20$ more a while back.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=gtx460%20hawk

I would have definitely gotten that card, and actually, I could have gotten the Talon Hawk Attack (or whatever the exact phrasing is) version of it for like $120 after rebate recently. The only reason I got this one, is because I was essentially able to get it for free when factored in with selling my old GTX 260 for $70. The card I got was $160 at Newegg, with a $30 mail-in rebate (which I've already been approved for), it came with Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 (which I sold for $60 the other day through craiglist), so net cost for the card was $70, minus the $70 I got for my GTX 260 = free upgrade =P That's the ONLY reason I got it, as my 260 was honestly fulfilling all my gaming needs, but I figured, for free, why not =)

Last edited:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
80c is not super hot, my top 460 would hit 90c before i moved my cards around to allow more airflow. It never crashed or artifacted.

Glad you got this sorted out.

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
Uh oh, Happy and Lincoln going at it again...

OP, better run, cuz this thing is gonna blow!

But seriously, load up some games and play them. Come back to us (and maybe EVGA) if the card still crashes.

Pointing out a glaring oversight is not going at it.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Pointing out a glaring oversight is not going at it.

Ha, ha, just joshing with you guys. I'm no IDK.

By the way, OP, I just checked the ratings for your card (which is already deactivated on Newegg, despite being introduced in January), and several people talk about the same problem you have (shutting down at 81-82C, with use of Furmark). I think one of them is you, but I assume they're not all you. Anyway, I think we can safely say it's not the ideal cooler design for heavy use. I do like it for how quiet it is, though...

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
10 year warranty? when a nice new card comes out and you know they won't have 460s in stock, just easily replicate the problem with the stress test and RMA it. evga has given quite a few people upgraded cards in return due to insufficient stock. muwahaha! the perfect crime! :)