Brand new GTX 1070 causes artifacts and other issues

Andy T

Jul 24, 2008
Yesterday I got eVGA GTX 1070 FE. Prior to receiving the card, my system was run great with GTX 970 with no technical issues.

Monitor: Dell U2713HM, Dell ship date of 6/2013
Video card: eVGA GTX 1070 FE
Drivers: 368.39

For installation, I simply replaced the card GTX 970 with 1070 without changing any drivers.
When the system booted up, for the first time, there were some issues with windows while the new card was being detected.
I then decided to play Far Cry 4. Prior to the new card the game was rock solid. However, since this is the 1070, I turned on God Rays and a few other extra settings. After a few minutes of play, the game crashed with a generic "This application stopped responding".
I restarted the game and played for 10 or so minutes. Same thing - another crash with the same message.
To make sure drivers are OK, I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. However, I noticed another worse issue.
There is a vertical purplish line going all the way from top to bottom of my monitor.
20160701_001619_zpslhp7ppcr.jpg

I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot this issue in depth, but it all seems to point to the new video card. How common is the vertical line issue and what potential fixes are there?

Thanks!

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Unless the drivers you had for the 970 already knew about the 1070, I would be downloading the latest drivers....

Andy T

Jul 24, 2008
After some testing, it appears that very it is the monitor.
The drivers are actually the same.

Unless the drivers you had for the 970 already knew about the 1070, I would be downloading the latest drivers....

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Use DDU to uninstall drivers in safe mode, then reboot and see if the line exists (or even if it exists in safe mode).

If it doesn't exist, install drivers and see if it comes back. If it doesn't come back it was bad drivers, if it stays there the whole time, monitor.

Try power cycling the monitor or running a pixel test: http://gribble.org/lcdfix/

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Definitely uninstall/reinstall the Drivers. It was a long time ago now, but I tried using one driver install for an upgrade. My new card was properly recognized, but I had numerous issues. After reinstalling drivers all was well.