Brand New 1080TI BSODing nvlddmkm.sys

techgeeknyc

Aug 19, 2013
Hi guys, I recently upgraded to the Gigabyte 1080 TI Gaming OC and I've been getting frequent BSOD's ever since. The BSOD's started happening right after I upgraded from my EVGA 980 TI. I have a 6700K and a 600Watt SILVERSTONE SFX SX600 power supply.

The BSOD is always this same one each time From BlueScreenView

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED being caused by nvlddmkm.sys

http://imgur.com/a/kstaN

I have already tried rebooting in safe mode, using the DDU tool and doing a clean install of the NVidia drivers (the option on the bottom in the nvidia installer) several times. Currently on version 382.53 but it was also BSODing on the most previous one (382.33).

The other interesting thing is that the crashes never occur while I'm gaming. I'm usually stressing the GPU pretty heavily while gaming so 4k @ high settings. It happens when I'm browsing on Chrome/on Youtube etc or after I've quit my game for a few minutes while browsing.

The GPU temps while gaming are around 73C / CPU 65C. While browsing/youtube the GPU would sit around 50C.

I have attached the crash dump logs for reference:http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00692498172845072689

• I want to know quickly if its the GPU because I have a few more days before I can no longer exchange it for a replacement. Do you guys suspect its something with the GPU itself ?

• Another possibility is the 600W PSU which I know isn't the most highest rated one. However if that was the case why wasn't I experiencing this with my prior 980TI GPU ? Maybe because the 1080TI draws more power ?
Any pointers be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I doubt it's a power supply issue as you say that it's not occurring during gaming or stressful situations. Have you tried the newest drivers, 384.76?

And it's most likely not the GPU either. Is anything in your system overclocked? And have you ever had any memory instability in the past?

And when you install the drivers, are you installing just the driver and PhysX, or everything else? If it's the latter, I would install only the driver and PhysX and nothing else.

techgeeknyc

Aug 19, 2013
I doubt it's a power supply issue as you say
that it's not occurring during gaming or stressful situations. Have you tried the newest drivers, 384.76?

And it's most likely not the GPU either. Is anything in your system overclocked? And have you ever had any memory instability in the past?

And when you install the drivers, are you installing just the driver and PhysX, or everything else? If it's the latter, I would install only the driver and PhysX and nothing else.

Thanks Carfax83. Nope no overclocks, everything is at stock settings. Haven't had any memory instability or any BSOD's really to speak of prior to installing the 1080 Ti either.
I do check off everything when installing Nvidia drivers, will try only clicking the required ones against latest 384.76.

Curious what makes you believe the GPU isn't faulty btw ?

I really really want to rule out its not the GPU because I only have basically the next 3 days to make a decision of whether to RMA it or not. Thanks.

Also saw a few threads that seem to mention similar issues with BSODing while using chrome:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1006010/1080ti-bsod/
https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/87786-bsod-during-web-browsing-chrome.html
https://forums.evga.com/BSOD-System_Service_Exception-nvlddmkmsys-failed-m2671694.aspx

Last edited:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Curious what makes you believe the GPU isn't faulty btw ?

Because it was crashing with the Chrome browser. I think NVidia's drivers sometimes has a problem with Chrome's hardware acceleration for whatever reason, or vice versa. Personally I don't use Chrome on my desktop, as Microsoft Edge is to me a better browser with a far superior hardware acceleration implementation. Compared to Edge, Chrome has a mediocre hardware acceleration implementation.

Try disabling Chrome's hardware acceleration, which you can find in the options menu. That will probably temp fix it until you can figure out the real cause. Also, might want to try Microsoft Edge to see if it crashes as well. If it doesn't crash, this might rule out the GPU entirely.

Also I assume you're using the latest version of Chrome 64 bit?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
For the quickest way, I would do a clean install of the OS, just to rule out corrupted files, and make sure your system is running stock speeds.
If all is well then, slowly increase the O/C.

If not, then time to test the RAM using memtest86+ overnight. Make sure it has 0 errors.
Then test CPU & voltages while you are stress testing system.

Reactions: ZGR

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I had crashing issues when upgrading to a my 1070 even after using DDU. Nothing would fix it...

I bit the bullet and did a clean install; and all the problems vanished!

4K_shmoorK

Jul 1, 2015
I had the same issue (nvlddmkm BSODs) with my 1080 Ti not too long ago.

I just DDU'd and shut down, evened out and secured GPU (Zotac Extreme is a little over 3 lb...) and power connections, then fresh installed latest revision drivers. Haven't had a problem since and it took maybe 10 minutes.

The DDU -> Physical Check -> Fresh Install is ,IMO, the first thing on the troubleshooting list as it takes so little time in comparison to googling potential causes/fixes for an hour or two.

Edit:
For me, I think it was either power or PCI seating. Just because the card is big and my support was applying too much upward pressure to the GPU.

Reactions: ZGR

john353

Jul 28, 2017
www.3dmark.com
hey i am having the exact same problem, if anyone could help that would be very much appreciated,

what information do i need to provide ?

thanks

Guru

May 5, 2017
Update windows to the latest version, uninstall the drivers with the uninstall tool in safe mode(again), when reinstalling drivers select the "clean install" option.

You can run error check on your drive where the OS is, clean any and all temporary files(Ccleaner is great for that) and of course you need to check the cables and standing of the card. Make sure its firmly in its position and its screwed properly and tightly so it doesn't move and that the cables are all tightly placed.

john353

Jul 28, 2017
www.3dmark.com
Update windows to the latest version, uninstall the drivers with the uninstall tool in safe mode(again), when reinstalling drivers select the "clean install" option.

You can run error check on your drive where the OS is, clean any and all temporary files(Ccleaner is great for that) and of course you need to check the cables and standing of the card. Make sure its firmly in its position and its screwed properly and tightly so it doesn't move and that the cables are all tightly placed.

hey guru

i followed the advice you gave straight away and left the system run as usual with its typical work load and some bench-marking thrown in for good measure and have yet to see any issue since

thanks
john