Brand new 10 year old police car... where do people find stuff like this?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Link

This car is a Special Service 1993 Mustang. They were olny suppsoed to be sold to law enforcement agencies. Somehow this one never got sold at all, and this guy ended up buying it brand new with 347 miles on it in 2002. It's a great car, but you just have to wonder where people find things like this. How many cars are there from 10 years ago or more that are jsut sitting in dealer garages having never been driven? Where does someone start looking for something like that? Especially a police car.

It's a sweet car, though.

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
if it wasnt started everyday or every other day, the seals are shot and it really cant be worth much

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Tyler
Link

This car is a Special Service 1993 Mustang. They were olny suppsoed to be sold to law enforcement agencies. Somehow this one never got sold at all, and this guy ended up buying it brand new with 347 miles on it in 2002. It's a great car, but you just have to wonder where people find things like this. How many cars are there from 10 years ago or more that are jsut sitting in dealer garages having never been driven? Where does someone start looking for something like that? Especially a police car.

It's a sweet car, though.

He bought it from a collector, so it wasn't just found in some garage. They probably made more than the agencies, wanted, so somebody probably was able to score one.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Moralpanic

He bought it from a collector, so it wasn't just found in some garage. They probably made more than the agencies, wanted, so somebody probably was able to score one.

You're right, When I read it at first I saw "Purchased in Feb 2002, it came from Vic Bailey Ford in Spartansburg, SC" and thought he bought it from that dealer.
Even so, how many cars like that can there be out there, since only police were suppsoed to be able to get them?

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Tyler
Originally posted by: Moralpanic

You're right, When I read it at first I saw "Purchased in Feb 2002, it came from Vic Bailey Ford in Spartansburg, SC" and thought he bought it from that dealer.
Even so, how many cars like that can there be out there, since only police were suppsoed to be able to get them?

Probably not many, that's probably why it's a collector's item. I'm sure if you look hard enough, you can probably find a used one out there somewhere. In my old hometown, used police cruisers were popular with cab drivers for some reason.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: UDT89
if it wasnt started everyday or every other day, the seals are shot and it really cant be worth much

That certainly doesen't have to be the case. It totally depends on the conditions stored, not whether it was started or not.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Yeah, there's lots of former police mustangs out there with 100k or more miles on them, but not a lot of brand new ones. Some of the used ones are still pretty nice, though :)

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Oh yeah. eBay is an excellent place to search for NOS(new old stock) items. I've never searched for something as large as a car, but you never know.

UDT89

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: UDT89

That certainly doesen't have to be the case. It totally depends on the conditions stored, not whether it was started or not.

last time i checked, rubber washers dry rot no matter what. Unless it was like in some special garage.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
On E-bay a couple months ago their was a brand new, think in the low teens mileage, 82 or so K-car setting on the display floor of some dealership. I can't remember which model k-car it was but it doesn't really matter :). I can understand holding onto something special but who the hell holds on to a K-car :). It wasn't even a turbo or anything.