brake fluid in transmission?

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have a flare-up in my 1-2 shift on my 95 Taurus and my mechanic suggested putting some brake fluid in the ATF to swell the seals. Of course I haven't gone ahead and done this, but doesn't that seem a bit screwed up considering brake fluid eats away at pretty much everything?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
First time I've heard that suggested. I'd tell him to do it and then when things break, he can fix it for you...

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
My mom once put gas antifreeze, i think in the brake fluid container or power steering, man that messed up the car, it had to be flushed out.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I would say find another mechanic and start saving for a rebuild or a new car. Its only a mater of time before It wont make the 1-2 shift at all.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
It's true but only a temporary fix. The brake fluid swells the seals at first but over time the seals soften the the problem will get worst.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i put transmission fluid in the brake master cylinder and ruined it, had to put in a new one. don't do that

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Quixfire
It's true but only a temporary fix. The brake fluid swells the seals at first but over time the seals soften the the problem will get worst.

gr. is that usually what this is caused by? the fluid is in good condition and level and has been changed recently. it's just when it gets hot/warm at all, then the engine flares between 1-2, usually ending with a bang into 2nd.

MIKE

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: FoBoT
i put transmission fluid in the brake master cylinder and ruined it, had to put in a new one. don't do that

that's exactly the opposite, though...it may not apply.

For example, it's OK to put water in a car battery. But you probably shouldn't put battery acid in your drinking water.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: FoBoT

that's exactly the opposite, though...it may not apply.

For example, it's OK to put water in a car battery. But you probably shouldn't put battery acid in your drinking water.

damn thanks, i was just about to take a sip of that

MIKE

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919

gr. is that usually what this is caused by? the fluid is in good condition and level and has been changed recently. it's just when it gets hot/warm at all, then the engine flares between 1-2, usually ending with a bang into 2nd.

MIKE
Sounds more like the clutches are slipping not leaking internal seals.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

MIKE
like it needs to be overhauled or something? it has 293,000 km (183,125 miles)

MIKE

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

MIKE

MIKE

I'd say it had a good life at 180,000 miles. Automatic transmissions are very complicated and I am amazed every time one works so well fo rso long. I'd say use the brake fluid for now and save up for a rebuild or a new car.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: iamwiz82

MIKE

MIKE

I'd say it had a good life at 180,000 miles. Automatic transmissions are very complicated and I am amazed every time one works so well fo rso long. I'd say use the brake fluid for now and save up for a rebuild or a new car.
thanks

MIKE

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001

MIKE

MIKE
Yes, when clutches start slipping it is usually due to wear and tear and the only real way to fix them is to overhaul the transmission or replace it with a low mileage used unit.

ValValline

Feb 18, 2005
The Ford Taurus is notorious for having tranny problems. Your best bet is to have a tranny shop look at it and give you an estimate on a rebuild if you plan on keeping the car. Another option is a low mileage tranny out of a wrecking yard.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ValValline
The Ford Taurus is notorious for having tranny problems. Your best bet is to have a tranny shop look at it and give you an estimate on a rebuild if you plan on keeping the car. Another option is a low mileage tranny out of a wrecking yard.

The 91 Tauruses are, yes. this is an AX4N.