Bragging rights for shortylickens.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/shortylickens/Ruger.jpg

I just picked up a Ruger Mark 3 target today. Am rather enjoying Oregons no waiting period. Was able to stop off at my new hangout on the way home. Got a membership to a nice little gun club and put some hurt on a paper target.

As you can see, it came with a scope mount plate, 3 sizes and 2 colors of sights, a nifty little key for the safety, and 2 standard magazines. Also has a loaded chamber indicator, as can bee seen on the side.

I'm a rotten pistolier, but I can still hit the bulls-eye at 25 yards with it. Perhaps I shall practice some more and enter a tournament one day.

On a completely unrelated note, I sold my S&W Sigma a little while back.
Why is that significant?
Well, I only found out today that they got sued by Glock for making their gun a little too much like theirs.
I could have had a really special gun, some sort of oddity to show off many years from now.

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
nice :)

Been looking at some guns myself lately. My dad has all sorts of .22s, so I could borrow one of those any time I want. Mostly been looking at .357s, largely for their versatility: like .22s, I could get either a pistol or a rifle, and for practice or just plinking I could shoot the cheaper .38 special ammo. Save the heavy hitters for hiking/camping in bear country :p

Nathan

franksta

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2001
I think those S&W Sigmas were so similar to Glocks that some of the parts would interchange. I thought I'd read that somewhere.
The new Ruger looks good. I still need to add a good 22 to my small collection.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I like the fluted barrel and the grip color with the stainless.

Sweet looking pistol. :thumbsup:

Phoenix15

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: franksta
I think those S&W Sigmas were so similar to Glocks that some of the parts would interchange. I thought I'd read that somewhere.
The new Ruger looks good. I still need to add a good 22 to my small collection.

I believe you are right. My brother in law was telling me about that the other day.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Nice. :thumbsup:

I've been thinking about getting a handgun, probably 9mm. Maybe getting a .22 first would be a good idea? Since I've shot only a clip from a handgun before.

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
are they pretty noisy?

I have always wanted t get a .22 so I can plink around in my backyard (20 acres rural area).
I have a 9mm ruger that is so darn loud that I am sure my neighbors 1/2- 1/4 mile away will be annoyed.

Do you need ear protection when you use it for plinking or is it quiet enough not to need one?

Is a .22 rifle more silent?

Sorry for the questions but I have always looked at these .22 rugers every time I look at guns at the display.

P.S.
There is no shooting range near my house hence the concern about noise during backyard plinking.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
I have never liked the looks of that gun. But they shoot like champs.

i think it looks great. I think one of the most beutiful guns ever made.

that and its history make it one that i really want. My grandfather had one he got in WWII. it kinda pissed me off that he left that to my sister (who fuckign sold it. what i get? a none workign .22 sigh).

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003
Nice acquisition, .22 pistols are great fun. I :heart: my Browning Buckmark.

Originally posted by: AnMig
are they pretty noisy?

Do you need ear protection when you use it for plinking or is it quiet enough not to need one?

Is a .22 rifle more silent?

When compared to a large caliber pistol, no they aren't that noisy. As far as ear protection, I always wear it simply because when I go shooting I am either shooting more than just a .22 or I am with others who are. Yes, a .22 rifle will typically make marginally less noise (as perceived by the shooter) simply because of the longer barrel.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Nice 22. It looks just like the pistols some people use in the 50yd competitions. At first I thought it was for those "precision", 1 shot contests, but apparently not, lol. I took a pistol class in school and he showed a gun that looked like that, but we worked with S&W 0.22 semi-autos... don't recall the model#.

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
"When compared to a large caliber pistol, no they aren't that noisy. As far as ear protection, I always wear it simply because when I go shooting I am either shooting more than just a .22 or I am with others who are. Yes, a .22 rifle will typically make marginally less noise (as perceived by the shooter) simply because of the longer barrel. "

Thanks for answering. I really dont understand these silencer laws and wish they allowed manufacturers or the user to silence there guns without going to jail.

Peace

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Somebody asked me in PM:
I paid $450 for it, no tax in Oregon.

22's are probably the least noisy but to me they make a sharp "POP!" in the air. I always recommend hearing protection. You wont have that ringing in your ears for several seconds afterwards.

I also agree the Rugers have sort of a weird look to them, especially compared to Beretta's U22 Neos and S&W Target 22's, but they shoot nicely and are easy to handle.
http://www.gunblast.com/images...retta-NEOS/beretta.jpg
http://www.lesjones.com/images/posts/buckmark.jpg

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Very nice. I wanted a ruger or a browning buckmark but ended up deciding to get a 10-22 instead. Figure if I wanna shoot a handgun, I'll use my S&W MP.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: eLiu
Nice 22. It looks just like the pistols some people use in the 50yd competitions. At first I thought it was for those "precision", 1 shot contests, but apparently not, lol. I took a pistol class in school and he showed a gun that looked like that, but we worked with S&W 0.22 semi-autos... don't recall the model#.
Model 41 probably, that's a popular S&W among Bullseye shooters.

My Dad shoots a Mark 3 like that in our Bullseye league and he shoots fairly well with it. You should try Bullseye a couple times, it's pretty fun and will really help you with your shooting in general. An example:

I shot in a casual, "action pistol" league last summer. I was pretty much middle of the pack in the standings every night.

I shot all winter in a Bullseye league. Again, middle of the pack, but it helped me with my trigger control and I got better as the league went on.

This summer, on the first night of our action pistol league, I went out and was first place in my class by a pretty good margin. I was very impressed with my improvement.

All you need is a few $ for the league (ours was $5/shoot and if you shot at 8 matches you could attend the awards dinner for free where you were guaranteed some sort of raffle prize) and a red dot scope. You've already got a fine pistol for it.