/brag Booyakasha! A top law firm just extended me a second interview!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 4644
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4644

Booya! I don't know exactly how many people get second interviews compared to offers, but I am stoked!

This firm pays 160k+ for your first year.... *mind spins*

Jun 4, 2005
Do you know how many interviews they average? As you know, this isn't your typical minimum wage job, there could be anywhere from 1-5+.

Good luck, even though you probably don't need it. You must have made a good first impression. ;)

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
They will OWN YOU. 2500 billable hour requirements; weekends & holidays. Kiss your life goodbye.

Congrats though! :D :D

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
congrats. law is one of the few industries that includes cost of living for cities like NYC (not implying you'd work here that is lol)

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
i think you figure for every 4 screeners you do on campus, you should hopefully get one callback. for everyone 4 callbacks, hopefully you'll get 1 offer.

good luck.

and during the summer, you won't work anywhere near 80 hours. possibly around 40, plus with all the social events they hold for summers. don't screw it up. you don't want to be known as the one that was no offered.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: freesia39
i think you figure for every 4 screeners you do on campus, you should hopefully get one callback. for everyone 4 callbacks, hopefully you'll get 1 offer.

good luck.

and during the summer, you won't work anywhere near 80 hours. possibly around 40, plus with all the social events they hold for summers. don't screw it up. you don't want to be known as the one that was no offered.

This isn't a summer associate position where they try to dazzle you. This is actual 'grunt' work. For 160K/year I imagine 2500 billable hours is probably on the low side. I would imagine the OP will need to bill about 50 hours/week (70 hours worked?).

This is a great way to pay off loans since you never have time to spend the money and after five or eight years hopefully you'll be considered partnership material.
Congrats and best of luck with these golden handcuffs.

edit: Didn't the OP have some stress-related health issue brought on by law school, if so I would recommend gallons of the pink stuff. BTW when are CA bar results released?

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Respeck.

My friend was telling me that 80 hrs/wk isn't as bad as it sounds. He said a decent portion of the day was spent in meetings, having lunch and eating dinner. It's still a buttload but not nearly as bad as most people think.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: RKS

good luck.

This isn't a summer associate position where they try to dazzle you. This is actual 'grunt' work. For 160K/year I imagine 2500 billable hours is probably on the low side. I would imagine the OP will need to bill about 50 hours/week (70 hours worked?).

This is a great way to pay off loans since you never have time to spend the money and after five or eight years hopefully you'll be considered partnership material.

edit: Didn't the OP have some stress-related health issue brought on by law school, if so I would recommend gallons of the pink stuff. BTW when are CA bar results released?

if i recall correctly, i think the OP is a 2L. during the summer they pay as if you were on pace to make 160k/year.

the billables really depends on the firm.

CA bar, if you take it in july, i hear you find out around thanksgiving.

D

Deleted member 4644

good luck.

Heh... wow people actually remember stuff I post? Yea, first year messed me up pretty good, but I have recovered thankfully. It is a summer position, but usually you get an permanent offer unless you really screw up during the summer.

.. as far as doing law for the money.... I honestly don't know how I will feel working in legal for 60-80 h/week. I might love it, I might hate it... I thankfully have no loans so I can leave whatever job I have if I need to.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001

good luck.

there are few firms, if any, where 2500 would be on the low side. plenty of firms are around 2000 with 160k. i don't think any major firms have 5 year partnership tracks anymore, it's likely 8-10, and even then there might be a tiered system.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: LoKe
Do you know how many interviews they average? As you know, this isn't your typical minimum wage job, there could be anywhere from 1-5+.

Good luck, even though you probably don't need it. You must have made a good first impression. ;)

for law firms, there's only one callback.