Brace yourself....Sp2 is about to be delivered...

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
Smith manages about 5,000 desktops running Windows XP Professional Edition, most of which use Automatic Updates.
Jebus.... I cant imagine having that many machines that rely directly on automatic updates; that is insane. Why are there so many mid to large size enterprises that still have no patch management system? If I ran a shop like these guys I'd probably have been fired a long time ago :|

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: spyordie007
Smith manages about 5,000 desktops running Windows XP Professional Edition, most of which use Automatic Updates.
Jebus.... I cant imagine having that many machines that rely directly on automatic updates; that is insane. Why are there so many mid to large size enterprises that still have no patch management system? If I ran a shop like these guys I'd probably have been fired a long time ago :|

Well it doesn't say he doesn't have something to complement automatic update (like a SUS server). I can't imagine managing 5,000 desktops pulling updates directly from MS...that would be just stupid.

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
He's obviously not using SUS, if he were using SUS than this would be a non-issue. With SUS he has the option whether or not to deploy SP2 (or any other update for that matter), with automatic updates you just get whatever Microsoft releases.

Also, imagine how much extra bandwidth he's burned by letting all those clients pull down the updates over the internet.

dc5

Jul 10, 2004
speaking of SUS, are there any things to configure on the client side? for example turn off automatic updates? and yes, i do have a win2k3 server.

Sideswipe001

Golden Member
May 23, 2003
Originally posted by: dc5
speaking of SUS, are there any things to configure on the client side? for example turn off automatic updates? and yes, i do have a win2k3 server.

The only thing I can think would be setting up your group policy to use the SUS server. Once you define that, and it replicates out, all your clients should be automatically set to use SUS, and the options to change Automatic Updates should be greyed out.

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
Well, my sister just installed SP2.

Then her computer clunks out. Completely. She says that it starts booting up then shuts off.

I feel bad for her, brand new laptop, less then a month old. Cut down in her prime. She started crying because she though she realy broke it. First week in college, too. Of course she left the rescue disks at home, so my mom had to mail them out to her.

Completely religious about keeping it safe. I installed firefox for her, showed her how to use adaware + freinds. Use virus scan, she visited the update site at least 3 days a week for updates. Showed her how to keep it safe, and then the thing that I told her to do, install updates when they are aviable, screwed up her computer.

Sucks.

My mom is now installing it on her computer... and this one is the one I would expect problems from. Old install, numerious viruses and spyware thru it's lifetime. About fifteen billion individual peices of software randomly installed here and their. Weird 3rd party tools that raped the computer and had to be uninstalled. Runs like crap.

Something ripe for SP2-based destruction. Oh, well they were planning on reinstalling everything anyways since it so slow and is running out of diskspace. But I'd bet that it'd work with no problem.

I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be very pissed at MS by the end of this week. It's not going to be fun. And I actually don't blame MS to badly over this one, it's a good thing to fix things, but it sucks.

Now I think that people are going to start being scared to install updates again. This sort of damage will pretty much obliterate all the work people have been trying to do to get non-techincal people pay attention to stuff like this. "Should I wait for the next worm to screw up my computer, or should I just head over to updates and let that screw up my computer first?"

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
WOW Well when I got my first call I came here and WOW it's the time of the year for drama let me tell you.

So canceled sofftball and I am trying to figure out what it does to Bluetooth.