Boycott the Olympics?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: AUMM
Originally posted by: eLiu
Nope, I don't give a damn about human rights in other countries. Selfish? Yes. Proud of it? You betcha.

:roll:

Seriously. That was one of the dumbest things I've ever read here.

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Accipiter22
I'm still shocked that they chose China.....the committee realizes that they're still ruthlessly suppressed right...

Whatever the reason may be, they chose China and that's where the issue should be done with. Now, all that's left is to make sure everything will be ready in time for the games to start.

Politics should have no bearing on sports. I thought that the English boycott of Zimbabwe (if I'm not mistaken) for cricket was stupid as well. All the athletes wanted to do was to play and all the fans wanted was to enjoy the game. Instead, the government stepped in and ruined it for everyone because of their political agenda.

Look at the world cup from last year. Governments from warring countries agreed to cease fire for the duration of the world cup. How awesome is that? United for the love of a sport.

The Olympics are about showcasing your athletic talents and national pride. They are not about showcasing your political agendas.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
while they continue to sh*t on tibet and taiwan we probably should boycott them. cuz frankly after the olympics they won't give a sh*T whatever we ask of them.

this current olympics in china is a bit like the hitler olympics. don't pretend its "national pride" only, theres plenty of politics going on.

so as another said above, it should'nt have ever been given to them in the first place.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Injury

Are the athletes the ones supposedly torturing people? Are the athletes the ones demolishing people's human rights? NO. Leave them out of the political BS.

they are representatives of their government and glorify that government. so theres no way to totally leave them out especially when its being held in sucha country

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
No. I wouldn't want to deny the athletes the chance to compete *for some their last or only Olympics* to make a political statement that will amount to jack squat anyways,

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The Olympics exist to further the lifestyles of globe-trotting Olympic Committee members and their entourages. They represent the most successful "Hallmark holiday" ever invented. In those realms where folks have such options they ought to throw out any politician who suggests hosting the games. The Olympics ends up trashing the neighborhood, leaving behind grossly oversized facilities that either decay or bleed the host city.

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
What a bunch of hypocrites. Why stop at boycotting the Olympic, how about boycott everything that came from China.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
China is screwed up, but boycotting the Olympics isn't going to do anything but irritate those athletes that've been looking forward to it for four years. We tried the same kind of thing back in the Cold War, and it didn't do any good then eitther.

yoda291

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
Originally posted by: AUMM
Originally posted by: eLiu
Nope, I don't give a damn about human rights in other countries. Selfish? Yes. Proud of it? You betcha.

:roll:

Seriously. That was one of the dumbest things I've ever read here.

I don't understand why that was dumb? An opinion that deviates from yours is unintelligent? It's not even an uncommon opinion. It's the same thing you get from every keyboard jockey that screams "screw other countries, fix the ones at home first" in every P&N thread.

Plus, this comment is so mundane really it wouldn't break top 10 in my "dumbest things I've read on ATOT" list.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Injury
Sports != politics.

Any and every nation should be allowed to send representatives of their best athletes and instead of turning the Olympics into a commercial butt-fsck we should all join in the love of competition and sport. Political agendas have no place in sports. Do it for the love of the games, not because you disagree with someone's laws and policies.

Are the athletes the ones supposedly torturing people? Are the athletes the ones demolishing people's human rights? NO. Leave them out of the political BS.

Very good point in theory, however you are kidding yourself if you don't think that nationalistic competition and politics aren't intertwined.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
while they continue to sh*t on tibet and taiwan we probably should boycott them. cuz frankly after the olympics they won't give a sh*T whatever we ask of them.

this current olympics in china is a bit like the hitler olympics. don't pretend its "national pride" only, theres plenty of politics going on.

so as another said above, it should'nt have ever been given to them in the first place.

Taiwanese?

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Don't worry, with all the pollutions there in Beijing, everybody will die off before the Olympic starts.