Boycott Origin

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Last edited:

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
I don't think Origin is slow. I had to use it to get the NSF Shift 2 DLC patch, and received it at over 2MB/s. That said I am not really interested in supporting a publisher specific service. I will use it to download patches and such as needed, but otherwise I will be buying through Steam, or retail box. I don't want to deal with 20 different download services.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
I am not boycotting Origin. I downloaded Crysis 2 through it and I found it to be as convinient as Steam. Reporting no problems here.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Piracy happened.

I honestly don't know why publishers bother with anti-piracy measures. Games are always, with very few exceptions, cracked and released on the "scene" the day of, or day after release regardless of whatever anti-piracy measures are put in place. Overall it just causes more hassle for those who legitimately buy the game.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I'll play BC2 until BF3 is $10, is available on Steam, and I have a machine that can run it on high settings.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Is that confirmed? I would prefer to buy it off of Steam, but if not I will get it in the retail box.

Yeah.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/18/battlefield-3-not-coming-to-steam-says-retailer/

Gamestop said it and the EA site for BF3 that list the retailers to get it from does not have Steam listed.

Shitty move as BC2 did incredibly well on Seam too.

I was going to buy it on Steam, but now I'll just look and see where ever I can get a retail copy for the absolute cheapest when it comes close to coming out.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Yeah.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/18/battlefield-3-not-coming-to-steam-says-retailer/

Gamestop said it and the EA site for BF3 that list the retailers to get it from does not have Steam listed.

Shitty move as BC2 did incredibly well on Seam too.

I was going to buy it on Steam, but now I'll just look and see where ever I can get a retail copy for the absolute cheapest when it comes close to coming out.

Thanks for the link. That really is a stupid move on EA's part. I think the sales for BF3 will be huge regardless, but this strategy will hurt them long term.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Or... you know, you could just stop buying things from them.

While I am a Steam user through and through, that doesn't mean I want Steam to be the ONLY digital distributor there is. We can't let Valve have a monopoly over PC game downloads. There always needs to be competition. Competition is good.

At least Origin guarantees your games for one whole year. Steam, on the other hand, makes no guarantees whatsoever, and could literally shutdown tomorrow if they wanted to.

Buy games from GOG, buy games from Gamers Gate, buy games from Green Man Gaming. But if Origin sucks, then don't buy games from Origin.

While Battlefield 3 won't be on Steam at release, I'm predicting about a year or so from now when Origin fails and EA realized their stupid decisions, they will eventually cave in and distribute BF3 through Steam. It will be cheaper by then too.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Is that confirmed? I would prefer to buy it off of Steam, but if not I will get it in the retail box.

I wont buy a retail box and wont buy from another digital distribution system either. So BF3 is off my potential list of games to purchase this year.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Or... you know, you could just stop buying things from them.

While I am a Steam user through and through, that doesn't mean I want Steam to be the ONLY digital distributor there is. We can't let Valve have a monopoly over PC game downloads. There always needs to be competition. Competition is good.

At least Origin guarantees your games for one whole year. Steam, on the other hand, makes no guarantees whatsoever, and could literally shutdown tomorrow if they wanted to.

Buy games from GOG, buy games from Gamers Gate, buy games from Green Man Gaming. But if Origin sucks, then don't buy games from Origin.

While Battlefield 3 won't be on Steam at release, I'm predicting about a year or so from now when Origin fails and EA realized their stupid decisions, they will eventually cave in and distribute BF3 through Steam. It will be cheaper by then too.

I have no problems with other DD services (I use GoG quite a lot). But I don't want to support a publishers own DD, especially when that publisher is EA. It really needs to be squashed asap for the good for gamers. I say this because if Origin proves to be successful for EA, they will start making their games only digitally available from there and worst off, other publishers will start doing the same thing. So then we will have every big publisher with their own digital service where you can only get their games digitally.

That is just bad. Impluse and Direct 2 Drive were the next biggest digital services next to Steam and both have been bought out and will probably be worse off then before. D2D was so far this year having a lot of very good sales and promotions (I bought a few games from them cause the deals were very good), but when Gamefly bought them out, the sales have returned to average at best most the time. Impulse, while at first it seems they are doing good being bought by Gamestop with better deals and such. Gamestop has a crappy rep with actually being competitive in sales/deals in their retail stores and am afraid that it has a chance of leaking over into Impulse as well, or worse off, making deals with publishers to make it so that Impulse is the only digital provider for a game besides the publisher themselves, and the reason Gamestop could probably do this is due to the the hold they have on retail.

Monopolies are bad no doubt and we need more competition, but in the current state of things, competition is actually going to become less likely overall once things settle down.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I have no problems with other DD services (I use GoG quite a lot). But I don't want to support a publishers own DD, especially when that publisher is EA. It really needs to be squashed asap for the good for gamers. I say this because if Origin proves to be successful for EA, they will start making their games only digitally available from there and worst off, other publishers will start doing the same thing. So then we will have every big publisher with their own digital service where you can only get their games digitally.

I agree. It will be a sad day when you can only download games from the publisher's store, and nowhere else. I sincerely hope this doesn't happen.

I was almost going to argue that Valve games can only be purchased digitally from Steam, but then I realized Steam isn't just a store. It's a way of managing and browsing servers, playing with friends, and other things.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
I made the mistake of purchasing BC2 from EA.. Updates and patches take forever. GoG is still my favorite implementation of DDs.. and Steam is a service which I have taken for granted.. yes, it does have a lot of overhead, but come on! modern PC's can easily handle such trivial tasks.

I think BC2 will be the last title I am going to purchase from EA.. I am not into MPs anymore.. and there are plenty of SP games that are going to keep me busy for some time to come.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I won't Boycott it, but will avoid using it as it's crap. BF3 is not much of a concern as BF2 was such a horrid experience that I lost all interest.

[miniRant]
BF2 backstory: Way back when, before BF2 was released, I Downloaded and Played the Demo and had tons of fun and it worked flawlessly. Control Setup was the same crappy implementation that BF1942 had, but once it was set it was set, so no biggie. The Server browser was worse than 1942's, but once you got playing who cared anymore? I loved the Demo, it was all I hoped it would be. So when the game was released 3 days later I picked up the game with great anticipation. Installed, setup controls, then opened the Server browser to start playing....except the Game would not Connect me to any Servers. :\ Gave up that day after trying a few things with no change. the next few days tried again, same result, decided to wait for a Patch. Patch came and still couldn't Connect, wait for next Patch, came and still no Connect.

Disappoint, I went back to playing whatever game I was playing at the time(possibly a Freelancer Multiplayer Mod or CS)and just let BF2 gather dust. 6 months later I did a major Upgrade(X2 3800 from XP 2800) and as I was testing out various games to check for performance improvements, I decided to give BF2 another try and it actually Connected. Played it for awhile, had fun, but I was active on a particular game server at the time and knew many people there, so BF2, although fun, just didn't do it for me anymore. It had me at the Demo, then completely lost me with the Retail release. The BF Series is now dead to me.

[/minirant]

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Not getting into the other issues but, Steam was a buggy POS when it first launched too...

The difference between Steam (Valve) and Origin (EA) is that EA will never carry titles on Origin it does not publish. 2k, THQ, and Activision will NEVER sell a title on Origin and give their direct publishing competitor a cut of the profits. Origin will only sell EA titles, and as such, will forever have a significantly smaller amount of games sold on it's service.