Boycott France? I'll pass

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: hagbard
Plans to invade Afghanistan were in the works long before 9/11, as were plans to attack Iraq and Iran and Syria. The US government relies on public ignorance and the support of their cheerleaders in the mass media, which has thus far proven fairly effective. Like I've said since last September, first Afghanistan, then Iraq, then Iran, then Syria.....The US is now officially an imperial power.

plans to do damn near anything are kept at the DoD.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Michael
Fencer128 - Actually, I don't thinkt he reasons why the USA attacked Iraq start and end with WMD. France took great effort to oppose the USA. I don't care that there now is question about just how many WMD were around for this issue.

hagbard - Since most of the world makes it their business to care about what the USA does, the USA can make anything it decides is it's business an issue. So if the USA decides that tinpot dicators around Africa are something that has to go away, then it will. For the most part, they are not posing a threat to the USA. Afganistan is an example. The USA probably would have left the Taliban alone forever without the terrorism-link to the direct attack on the USA.

Michael

If it turns out that the reasons given as justification for waging this war were fabricated/exaggerated, I would think that most people's anti-France attitude would lighten up a little. That is, if people are taking an anti-France stance due to a perceived sense of "WTF is wrong with that country? This war has been proven to be justified, yet they refuse to help us." How can one still be angry at France if it becomes clear that what we did (or at least why we did it) wasn't on the up and up?

If, however, the reason for being anti-France is simply because of a "agree with me or face the consequences" then it doesn't really matter what we did, or why we did it. It's simply a matter of whatever we do, regardless of the right or wrong of it, you must do it too....or else

hagbard

Banned
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: hagbard
Plans to invade Afghanistan were in the works long before 9/11, as were plans to attack Iraq and Iran and Syria. The US government relies on public ignorance and the support of their cheerleaders in the mass media, which has thus far proven fairly effective. Like I've said since last September, first Afghanistan, then Iraq, then Iran, then Syria.....The US is now officially an imperial power.

plans to do damn near anything are kept at the DoD.

This was not at the DoD. It was at an Israeli think thank run by Richard Pearle.