Boy Scouts of America bans water gun fights; ‘pointing a firearm’ is not kind

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Why is this an issue with anyone? I thought a private entity can do whatever the fuck they want.

You can't back one decision and bash the other; you either let them be - good, bad or indifferent - or you constantly wag your finger like a disapproving gossipy wash woman.

They can do whatever they want. People are expressing opinions about this decision. This should not be hard to comprehend.

Probably a few posters here were in the scouts and find this rule idiotic. As some have mentioned they learned to shoot in the scouts. Scouts also shoot arrows and use knives.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Sad. I learned how to shoot a rifle in the Boy Scouts. Now you can't even shoot a water gun.

You can still shoot rifles, bows and arrows, and shotguns in boy scouts. You just have to do it on a range with adult supervision.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Why is this an issue with anyone? I thought a private entity can do whatever the fuck they want.

You can't back one decision and bash the other; you either let them be - good, bad or indifferent - or you constantly wag your finger like a disapproving gossipy wash woman.

It can be an issue because of a father with 3 kids in scouts, I think its a bad idea and I plan on sending a letter and discussing this with my troop. Are we not allowed to have opinions now of dumb rules that affect us?

And yes, I can be for many of their rules and practices and not like certain ones.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
The Boy Scouts of America, an organization with semi-military origins,

this statement pisses me off. it leads the reader down the train of thought of >boy scouts>military>guns>shooting guns at people>why would they ban war games.

which is totally false.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: there is something seriously wrong with you.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
It can be an issue because of a father with 3 kids in scouts, I think its a bad idea and I plan on sending a letter and discussing this with my troop. Are we not allowed to have opinions now of dumb rules that affect us?

And yes, I can be for many of their rules and practices and not like certain ones.

so you are going to bitch to the council that you dont agree with the ban on kids pointing projectile weapons at other kids? or that they banned firearms all together?

there are a lot of post in this thread with people thinking the BSA banned shooting and archery all together.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
this statement pisses me off. it leads the reader down the train of thought of >boy scouts>military>guns>shooting guns at people>why would they ban war games.

which is totally false.

Uh... you should read up on the historical origins of the boy scouts.

And this is fucking hilarious, given their ban on gay scout leaders.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
The best thing one can do for their children is to teach them how to be responsible, self-sufficient and independent. In fact, allowing them to acquire a skill such as responsibly handling, maintaining and shooting a firearm is a great idea.

Teaching children how to wear rose-colored glasses while removing their defense mechanisms and survival instincts is a very foolish societal notion. It's similar to declawing a cat and forcing them back into the wild. Mostly the US is teaching their children to rely on other people for entitlements.

Otherwise your children will be unable to protect themselves from the sexual advances of their scout leader, for instance.

Last edited:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
so you are going to bitch to the council that you dont agree with the ban on kids pointing projectile weapons at other kids? or that they banned firearms all together?

there are a lot of post in this thread with people thinking the BSA banned shooting and archery all together.

Reading comprehension is not one of your strong points I see.

smh

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
bunch of politicized BS. Take the bait if you want to waste your time being their puppet.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Sad. I learned how to shoot a rifle in the Boy Scouts. Now you can't even shoot a water gun.

Yeah, it's come to that I guess, but I was shooting one and bows when I was a Cub Scout even.

I have no idea what they do these days.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
What's with the states getting their panties in a bunch over fake guns, but real guns are cool? Not saying they should ban real guns, but if you don't, then it's idiotic to freak out over fake ones. All the effort that goes towards banning water guns, little toy guns, chocolate eggs that might have a little toy gun in it, magnets that could be used to make a shape of a gun, kids who bite into a pop tart and make it look like a gun etc.... could be used towards educating people on real gun safety.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
What's with the states getting their panties in a bunch over fake guns, but real guns are cool? Not saying they should ban real guns, but if you don't, then it's idiotic to freak out over fake ones. All the effort that goes towards banning water guns, little toy guns, chocolate eggs that might have a little toy gun in it, magnets that could be used to make a shape of a gun, kids who bite into a pop tart and make it look like a gun etc.... could be used towards educating people on real gun safety.
Indoctrination.

Real safety? ...nope.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
It's because there are no laws protecting access to toy guys, so gun-grabbers consider them to be easy pickings and raise a stink over it.

What's most interesting to me is that there's hasn't been any meaningful backlash against movies that glorify violence. Even the most left gun-grabbing liberal loves to kill with guns in a movie. Sean Penn has had a 180 in his view on guns with Charlize Theron's coaxing, yet just came out with a movie called the gunman. And charlize who hates them had no qualms about killing a bunch of people in mad max with one.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
What's most interesting to me is that there's hasn't been any meaningful backlash against movies that glorify violence. Even the most left gun-grabbing liberal loves to kill with guns in a movie. Sean Penn has had a 180 in his view on guns with Charlize Theron's coaxing, yet just came out with a movie called the gunman. And charlize who hates them had no qualms about killing a bunch of people in mad max with one.
.....money.