Boy Scouts fall millions behind budget

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Funny how the OP is making it seem that the funding decrease is due to allowing gays when in fact Disney and many other major corporations are NOT giving to the boy scouts because they do not allow gay leaders.

But seeing who the OP is; facts and common sense are not his strongest traits.

Nov 25, 2013
Sorry, poor choice of words. But you get the point.

If the scouts allow gays, they might as well allow girl scouts in with the boys, and boys in with the girls.

The attraction is there, along with the flirting and everything else.

Isn't the point of having boys and girls separate is so each group can focus on learning, rather than focusing on the opposite sex?

Scouts Canada has been coed since 1998. Seems to work out just fine.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
You're not making history, you're the one bitching about those who are...

Well, he's making one kind of history:

51hDWeR-HlL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Funny how the OP is making it seem that the funding decrease is due to allowing gays when in fact Disney and many other major corporations are NOT giving to the boy scouts because they do not allow gay leaders.

But seeing who the OP is; facts and common sense are not his strongest traits.

The publicized budget shortfall has nothing to do with Disney et al since that revenue would be contributions.

The shortfall discussed here is 'registration fees'. This is membership money. I.e., membership has fallen below the targeted/budgeted amount.

So Disney and other corporations contributions or lack thereof have nothing to do with the issue.
--------------

Boy Scouts has always had to compete with other activities. Centuries ago when I was kid there were few other activities. Now-a-days youth soccer leagues for kids as young as 5 yrs old are everywhere and very popular. Also, many, like my son, would rather spend their spare time playing PC/XBox/PIII games with their friends online. There's much more competition.

Scouting has changed too. When I first began we using were axes and hatches to build forts, learning to start campfires, going to nearby military bases to see demonstrations by Special Forces on how to do survival things like building a hootch, building snares, first aid and responding to medical emergencies, using compass and map to navigate through forests. Later the BS added thing like writing papers on citizenship etc.

I quit when it became nothing much more than doing homework for school. I suspect that the BS has continued that trend. My son was in Scouts for a rather brief period. I don't recall them ever getting up from the table. It was all 'homework' stuff. After being in school all day who wants more of the same where you sit around the table completing assignments? Young boys need to be running around the outdoors blowing off steam.

Fern

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I have said several times in this forum I do not care if someone is gay. It does not affect me one way or the other. But because it does not affect me does not mean I have to like it.

Yes, I think we all understand the fact that you don't like gays and that you find male gay sex icky.

Funny how you don't feel the same way about female gays and female gay sex.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
The publicized budget shortfall has nothing to do with Disney et al since that revenue would be contributions.

The shortfall discussed here is 'registration fees'. This is membership money. I.e., membership has fallen below the targeted/budgeted amount.

So Disney and other corporations contributions or lack thereof have nothing to do with the issue.
--------------

Boy Scouts has always had to compete with other activities. Centuries ago when I was kid there were few other activities. Now-a-days youth soccer leagues for kids as young as 5 yrs old are everywhere and very popular. Also, many, like my son, would rather spend their spare time playing PC/XBox/PIII games with their friends online. There's much more competition.

Scouting has changed too. When I first began we using were axes and hatches to build forts, learning to start campfires, going to nearby military bases to see demonstrations by Special Forces on how to do survival things like building a hootch, building snares, first aid and responding to medical emergencies, using compass and map to navigate through forests. Later the BS added thing like writing papers on citizenship etc.

I quit when it became nothing much more than doing homework for school. I suspect that the BS has continued that trend. My son was in Scouts for a rather brief period. I don't recall them ever getting up from the table. It was all 'homework' stuff. After being in school all day who wants more of the same where you sit around the table completing assignments? Young boys need to be running around the outdoors blowing off steam.

Fern

Actually if you used a source other than World Nut Daily backed site you would have known that the numbers have been dropping for the last decade not just last year due to the "GAYS" as implied by the nutty site.

"With nearly 2.5 million youth and almost 1 million adults, Scouting remains a significant force in communities across the United States, even though its membership has slowly, but steadily declined over the last decade."

The biggest lose of revenue has been from contributions, esp future ones, from larger sources, not a couple million from fees.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005

Fern

This is exactly why I hated Scouts. It was like being in school. I thought it was going to be about hiking and survival type stuff and nature etc etc. I realize everyone is different, but Scouts seems like strange place for any boy to be. Of course I think it really depends on your Scoutmasters. They are the ones who probably make or break the experience.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Actually if you used a source other than World Nut Daily backed site you would have known that the numbers have been dropping for the last decade not just last year due to the "GAYS" as implied by the nutty site.

"With nearly 2.5 million youth and almost 1 million adults, Scouting remains a significant force in communities across the United States, even though its membership has slowly, but steadily declined over the last decade."

The biggest lose of revenue has been from contributions, esp future ones, from larger sources, not a couple million from fees.

I don't use WND.

The OP's article is about membership registration, not contributions.

The latter part of my posts addresses the falling membership. (I.e., IMO not significantly related to gays, but the evolution of the Scouting program.)

Fern

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If the rank and file would stop being bigots, they wouldn't have this problem. The leadership got over it, the rest of them should too.

Its a private club. Private clubs do what the members want. Do you think we should break up the private clubs for gays, women, and colored people?

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
This is what happens when you cater to a minority group rather than the majority who pay the bills.

http://www.worldmag.com/2014/03/boy_scouts_fall_millions_behind_budget

In short:

Boy scouts allow gays.
People leave for a group who supports traditional values

Could it be the low minimum wage is making it tough for parents to afford the fees?
"Sorry Jimmy, even being on food stamps and our Walmart employee discount, we need that $50,00 to pay the rent." "Maybe next year if the wage goes to $10,15."

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Could it be the low minimum wage is making it tough for parents to afford the fees?
"Sorry Jimmy, even being on food stamps and our Walmart employee discount, we need that $50,00 to pay the rent." "Maybe next year if the wage goes to $10,15."

I am thinking the economy is also a factor.

People are strapped for cash.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Yes, I think we all understand the fact that you don't like gays and that you find male gay sex icky.

Funny how you don't feel the same way about female gays and female gay sex.

Naaa! Probably 'cause Taxshirker finds gat sex strangely attractive. Sometimes Moony gets the self hate right.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Naaa! Probably 'cause Taxshirker finds gat sex strangely attractive. Sometimes Moony gets the self hate right.

Too true. As has been previously stated "Methinks the lady doth protest too much."

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Its a private club. Private clubs do what the members want. Do you think we should break up the private clubs for gays, women, and colored people?

Private clubs should not be given access to government resources for free.

Especially if they are discriminatory in their membership.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
When did the boy scouts of America take government funds?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winkler_v._Rumsfeld

Every four years, the Boy Scouts of America holds a national Scout jamboree, where for ten days, approximately 30,000-40,000 Scouts camp out and participate in a wide variety of activities. At the time of the case, the US Department of Defense was the official host of the jamboree. From 1981 until 2010, the jamboree was held at Fort A.P. Hill, a US Army base in Virginia. The US Government spent an average of $2 million a year towards hosting of the jamboree.

In 2005, a U.S. District Court ruled that the DOD's spending on national Scout jamborees violates the Establishment Clause of the United States Constitution. The decision was subsequently reversed by the US Court of Appeals on April 4, 2007 in Winkler vs Gates (renamed due to a new Secretary of Defense), which ruled that the plaintiffs lacked legal standing as taxpayers to bring the suit in the first place. Therefore, the 2010 Jamboree at Fort A.P. Hill and future support by DOD of Jamborees will continue as before.[2]

(emphasis added)

Of course, that also doesn't mention accommodation in government buildings that local scout troops are provided for free or for a nominal (think $1) fee.

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winkler_v._Rumsfeld

(emphasis added)

Of course, that also doesn't mention accommodation in government buildings that local scout troops are provided for free or for a nominal (think $1) fee.

RE: Your quoted portions - Is that DoD recruiting or support for BS?

I don't think it's easy to tell 'legally'. I do think it's rather obvious though that is what the DoD is doing (recruiting).

DoD used to sponsor BattleBots too (maybe they still do?). I think recruiting was the purpose there too.

Fern

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
RE: Your quoted portions - Is that DoD recruiting or support for BS?

I don't think it's easy to tell 'legally'. I do think it's rather obvious though that is what the DoD is doing (recruiting).

DoD used to sponsor BattleBots too (maybe they still do?). I think recruiting was the purpose there too.

Fern

But do they discriminate against fembots who are into other fembots?

(Do you have any idea how it feels to be a Fembot living in a Manbot's Manputer's world?)

:awe: