Boy I get really angry with religious zealots!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ABitTooSpicy

Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan
Originally posted by: ABitTooSpicy
There is never any point in arguing about religion.
Here are the two problems that occur with a religious person vs an atheist:
1) You can't prove to me that there is a God.
2) I can't prove to you that there isn't a God.

Here is the problem that occurs with one religion vs another:
1) My invisible friend is better than your invisible friend.

From now on there is no reason for another religion discussion. Thanks! :)
God isn't invisible. He's right in front of your nose...you just choose not to look.

Please refer to the first portion of my post.

Thanks!

::EDIT::
Oh and that's my beard right in front of my nose...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

God isn't invisible. He's right in front of your nose...you just choose not to look.

Thanks!

Well your beard is God silly!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Thanks!

Well your beard is God silly!

:Q

All Hail ABitTooSpicy's Beard!
All Hail ABitTooSpicy's Beard!!

jersiq

May 18, 2005
Originally posted by: ICRS
Why would I read books by religous people.

Do you also disregard other concepts made by Christians?
If so, forget most of the functions you have learned in mathematics, as Euler conceptualized and formalized what f(x) means.
But back on track, how many publications is your name on Capt. Free Thinker?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

I've thought about this argument for some time. I very much agree with Peter Kreeft's answer.

It's important to understand the meaning of proof, at least for argument's sake. You know you exist. Can you prove it? It might not be as easy as you think. I could work very hard, with decent evidence, to prove that you're a figment of my imagination. For example, all I know about you is that you post on a forum. You might just be a computer. Yet you are real. Just because I'm wrong doesn't mean you can prove I'm wrong.

If you have an open mind about it, you might follow this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKBjZ7KFhIg

Peter Kreeft is a professor of Philosophy at Boston College. I find his First Cause and Moral arguments for God's existence to be quite compelling.

You might try skipping to part three if you want the hard arguments. Parts 1 and 2 deal mostly with the weak-minded arguments, like Pascal's wager.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Atreus21

I've thought about this argument for some time. I very much agree with Peter Kreeft's answer.

It's important to understand the meaning of proof, at least for argument's sake. You know you exist. Can you prove it? It might not be as easy as you think. I could work very hard, with decent evidence, to prove that you're a figment of my imagination. For example, all I know about you is that you post on a forum. You might just be a computer. Yet you are real. Just because I'm wrong doesn't mean you can prove I'm wrong.

If you have an open mind about it, you might follow this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKBjZ7KFhIg

Peter Kreeft is a professor of Philosophy at Boston College. I find his First Cause and Moral arguments for God's existence to be quite compelling.

I can Prove my existance easily. Maybe it's just difficult for you?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: LunarRay

Yes... the ego can't surrender. It has no mechanics to do so. One can only rid themselves of the ego by accepting something far greater than themselves to replace it with... surrender to a higher power... ergo, a supreme being or notion, me thinks.

Never play an online game like WoW, for instance, if you've an ego to sate... hehehehe it will drive one nutty.

There are a number of ways, I believe. What you describe here, I think, is the way of faith. But the ego can't negotiate the terms of its surrender. It can only play games of false humility. Something external has to happen outside the ego and it's usually called Grace. You can't make grace happen. It happens to you. All you can do is try for a place where grace frequents and have it sneak up on you. That place, I think, is not committing yourself to anything that you think, but letting go of everything. God saves those at the end of their rope, I think, because, only there, they finally let go. New organs of perception come into being according to need.

Yeah, that is why I included 'Notion'. Regardless of the path one takes it must be taken in order to attain peace within. I'm not sure how or why - but I do suspect - each of us must endure such a 'journey'. I do know that those who have arrived at their personal destination become a changed entity. One can witness this transformation in those they know personally or those who they don't know but accept that a change may have occurred. These folks seem at peace with themselves and the world. What is it that allows folks to have no interest in war or any ego trip? Me thinks it is the 'grace' within however achieved.
The 'Assassin Theory' requires one to bring down and keep down anyone above them... they do not elevate themselves but, rather, reduce others as they see it... of course they don't really achieve a reduction in others but they think they do... well... they do when the others respond to that stimulus which is the notion of war or some sort of aggressive action even if only words... (imo)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
God is the vibration that sings to the universe creating dust that loves. One can focus on the dust or the love.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Political zealots are the worst kind of people to have a rational, fact-filled discussion with.