Boy I get really angry with religious zealots!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: JS80
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
Originally posted by: brandonb
Originally posted by: ICRS

Actually I am against religion. All people who worship god suffer from a mental illness, they have too be. They are worshiping an invisible sky fairy.

Go read some Dawkins and Hitchens.

Yet you worship human figures like Dawkins and Hitchens, but apparently you are too blind yourself to understand that. You are worse than any religious Zealot.
It's hilarious when religious Zealots try to call Atheists as devout as they are or even worse. Atheists don't have to have faith to know the world isn't flat, they just simply know it. It takes quite a bit to have faith in something that isn't there

So you are claiming to understand the universe, it's origin, the beginning, the end, etc.?
I never claimed to be an Atheist. Read my post without your zealot glasses on.. I refer to them as "they" meaning I am not one.. see how that works?

I sit in the "I don't know" category.. but I do know one thing, religion is man made and it causes wars and makes intolerance totally acceptable (Indians, gays and blacks for example), yes I want to see the death of all religions.

Spirituality I think is a better option for people. When you get people like Jerry Falwell used to do, telling people horrible things in the name of god.. that is an instrument of destruction and a product of man made Christian Dogma.

If you are truly in the "I don't know" category and you analyze religion with no bias, you would clearly see that it is not religion that causes wars and intolerance, but it is the men in power who wage them. Since when does Jesus EVER advocate violence on one another? Never. Not once.

Only because of the recent rise of intolerant Islam do you believe religion causes wars.

And there have been plenty of non-religious wars. WWII ring a bell? Vietnam? Communism?

While Jesus never advocated violence, holy hell, have you seen the Old Testament? The big guy is OUT OF CONTROL

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: tenshodo13

Actually I am against religion. All people who worship god suffer from a mental illness, they have too be. They are worshiping an invisible sky fairy.

Yet you worship human figures like Dawkins and Hitchens, but apparently you are too blind yourself to understand that. You are worse than any religious Zealot.
It's hilarious when religious Zealots try to call Atheists as devout as they are or even worse. Atheists don't have to have faith to know the world isn't flat, they just simply know it. It takes quite a bit to have faith in something that isn't there

So you are claiming to understand the universe, it's origin, the beginning, the end, etc.?
I never claimed to be an Atheist. Read my post without your zealot glasses on.. I refer to them as "they" meaning I am not one.. see how that works?

I sit in the "I don't know" category.. but I do know one thing, religion is man made and it causes wars and makes intolerance totally acceptable (Indians, gays and blacks for example), yes I want to see the death of all religions.

Spirituality I think is a better option for people. When you get people like Jerry Falwell used to do, telling people horrible things in the name of god.. that is an instrument of destruction and a product of man made Christian Dogma.

If you are truly in the "I don't know" category and you analyze religion with no bias, you would clearly see that it is not religion that causes wars and intolerance, but it is the men in power who wage them. Since when does Jesus EVER advocate violence on one another? Never. Not once.

Only because of the recent rise of intolerant Islam do you believe religion causes wars.

And there have been plenty of non-religious wars. WWII ring a bell? Vietnam? Communism?

While Jesus never advocated violence, holy hell, have you seen the Old Testament? The big guy is OUT OF CONTROL

Christians aren't supposed to follow the OT. New convenant is all in NT. But we need the OT to fully understand why God sent Jesus.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

It is the certain who cause wars. People who believe they know the truth and what's best for you and are prepared to help you at any cost. Misery is caused by people full of ego.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Pardon me if I am mistaken, but it looks like you equate Religion to God. God is not religion. Religion is mans understanding of God.

Religion IMO is evil at the core as it takes mans understanding of what is spirit and makes it law. That law can be many things and forces elitism where equality and truth reign in spirit. Traditions of men created religion and sells short the truth of spirit and divides what would be brotherhood. Blindness also comes from the elitism of religion. Their God can do no wrong, their God is the "true" God, Their God will kill your God, God hates gays etc etc.

ICRS

Banned
Apr 20, 2008
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

It's hilariousI sit in the "I don't know" category.. but I do know one thing, religion is man made and it causes wars and makes intolerance totally acceptable (Indians, gays and blacks for example), yes I want to see the death of all religions.

Spirituality I think is a better option for people. When you get people like Jerry Falwell used to d when religious Zealots try to call Atheists as devout as they are or even worse. Atheists don't have to have faith to know the world isn't flat, they just simply know it. It takes quite a bit to have faith in something that isn't there

o, telling people horrible things in the name of god.. that is an instrument of destruction and a product of man made Christian Dogma.

It is the certain who cause wars. GOD BELIEVERS who believe they know the truth and what's best for you and are prepared to help you at any cost. Misery is caused by people full of ego.

FIXED..

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

It's hilariousI sit in the "I don't know" category.. but I do know one thing, religion is man made and it causes wars and makes intolerance totally acceptable (Indians, gays and blacks for example), yes I want to see the death of all religions.

Spirituality I think is a better option for people. When you get people like Jerry Falwell used to d when religious Zealots try to call Atheists as devout as they are or even worse. Atheists don't have to have faith to know the world isn't flat, they just simply know it. It takes quite a bit to have faith in something that isn't there

o, telling people horrible things in the name of god.. that is an instrument of destruction and a product of man made Christian Dogma.

It is the certain who cause wars. GOD BELIEVERS who believe they know the truth and what's best for you and are prepared to help you at any cost. Misery is caused by people full of ego.

FIXED..

ICRS yu ar so smrt. Kan yu remine me wat relijun Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pot, Castro yused to wayge warz and kill millyons?

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
[

FIXED..

There is a differences between a religious person and a person who believes in God.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005

Jesus invented religion? I don't think so, the Bible didn't start getting written till after his supposed existence. And the old testament is FILLED with death and hate. I thought his first rule was the love the father with all heart mind and soul.. why do you need religion for that, why not just individual spirituality.. why do you have to team up?

WWII? Antisemitism is a very Christian and Muslim idea. Hitler was a Catholic no matter what your pastor tells you also, mein kampf is loaded with religious references and quotes, he also used it to support his killing of the Jews, gays and gypsies.

Communism? Are you just referring to Stalin? I know many people think he was an Atheist including Dawkins, but in many things I have read they base this because he shut down the Churches.. well that was part of the 'Cult of Personality'. In order to get The Cult of Personality to work you must get rid of all idols but the totalitarian leader. In many books there are many references to Stalin being religious including his daughter Svetlana Alliluyeva's writings, his mother raised him to love God and he also shared antisemitic feelings and imprisoned many Jews including the doctors that might have been able to save his life. Why would an atheist have antisemitic feelings?

Are you going to ignore the crusades, Spanish inquisition, almost every war that involved the Ottomans, the elimination of the American Indians because they were savages and not humans, the burning of thousands of women for being witches? Gee I wonder how Palins pastor took care of all the witches in his home town?

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: manowar821
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Hugh H
Religious zealots are the worst kind of people to have a rational, fact-filled discussion with.

Never talked with a communist eh?

Zealots on both sides of the aisle are plain crazy.

Communism isn't a religion buddy. This is about religious zealots, who you cannot possibly argue with because they're not willing to argue the points, it's their way or the highway. At least with communists, some of them are willing to argue/debate. Religious zealots just talk at you instead of with you.
Oh the ironing! :laugh:

Oh come now Alky, its common knowledge that zealotry does not exist outside the confines of religion.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Originally posted by: theflyingpig
I pretty much hate anyone who is deeply religious. They are all pathetic, weak minded fools.

No shit dood. Murdering them all would certainly ease the violence suffered in the name of religion.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I thought the prayer was hilarious. dangerous too, but still a gut buster.

The claim that God's reputation was on the line was over the top funny. Yeah, God's stature and reputation will be diminished if the other guy wins. What a hoot!

This is not just an election, but a God contest too! May the best God win!

A plea for the attendees to assist their God retain the title belt and not be relegated to a "lessor God" status.

The Onion can't make up crap this good.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa

The claim that God's reputation was on the line was over the top funny. Yeah, God's stature and reputation will be diminished if the other guy wins. What a hoot!

A plea for the attendees to assist their God retain the title belt and not be relegated to a "lessor God" status.

Excellent assessment.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: manowar821
Originally posted by: Hugh H
Religious zealots are the worst kind of people to have a rational, fact-filled discussion with.

Never talked with a communist eh?

Zealots on both sides of the aisle are plain crazy.

Communism isn't a religion buddy. This is about religious zealots, who you cannot possibly argue with because they're not willing to argue the points, it's their way or the highway. At least with communists, some of them are willing to argue/debate. Religious zealots just talk at you instead of with you.

Heh communism and religious extremism arent far apart. Both talk about the utopian fantasy land. Both use force to enforce their beliefs. Both have untouchable gods(dictators). Both have prophets(party officials). Both squash all opposition's ideas and talk.

How many true communists were willing to talk back in the day? All I read about is the thousands of political opponents inside and outside the party that were silenced for their beliefs.

Political ideology and religion are nearly the same damn thing. Only one has a ficticious god who is believed needs to be prayed to in order to enter the gates of heaven. While the other has earthly gods that need to be prayed to in order to open the gates of living hell on earth.

I'm not aware of any countries where "true communists" have ever been in power.

That is because like religious doctrine it is simply a story, the promise at the end of the long painful tunnel that leads into Utopia.

I'll agree with that. Same thing goes for other types of government or monetary systems, too.

genx87 - 1
me - 0

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa

Excellent assessment.

Yup.

If there was a "God", I suspect that guy would have been struck down right there and then for trying to pull that BS.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: brencat
People who believe in God are only deluding them self. Some of these people zeolots suffer from the worst form of delusion.
When people post like this, you give informed religious people (not zealots) the impression that you are against religion and/or that religion is nothing but 'opium for the masses' -- which in turn makes you look like an ass. You also help perpetuate the widely held belief that liberals think religion is nonsense.

Throughout history, people need an outlet to worship and will do so despite the harshest of crackdowns and repeated threats to their lives -- look no further than Poland decades ago as well as modern day China.

I happen to be fairly religious but I am far from a zealot. My wife and her family are from Spain and happen to be very religious and are also some of the nicest, calm, tolerant, and well informed people around.

As I said before, Religion is between the person and the diety. Faith is belief with out proof... There is little 'proof' of God (or who or what ever one believes in) to be found, if any. Folks can argue or debate the merits of any religion if they so choose but at the end of the day it is twixt the person and their God.
When one seeks to fortify their 'belief' with condemnation of another's they destroy the very conduit of their own. Even when one has no diety it is their personal choice and how can that be wrong or up for another's scorn... Nah, each to their own and it should never be part of the national debate in politics.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Religious zealots are so ridiculous they make it easy for anti religious zealots to become convinced the facts are really on their side.

The fact is that God is found by making a scientific journey under the guidance of somebody who has made the journey and knows the science of pointing the way.

The god of the religious is real but they don't know the way and call God what they were taught and that's not who God is.

The god the atheist doesn't believe in isn't the God that is.

Nobody knows a thing about God except those who have died to themselves and entered heaven. They not only know God, the are His manifestation on this plane. Die to your belief and your disbelief because it's all garbage. You know nothing at all. God only is if you are not.

That is quite some post Moonster!

So ... God is within us but to have that one must die to the ego of the self. Very good....!!

edit: Moonster's post regarding war makers fits into this quite well I think... no ego no need to kill .... utopia...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: LunarRay
People who believe in God are only deluding them self. Some of these people zeolots suffer from the worst form of delusion.
When people post like this, you give informed religious people (not zealots) the impression that you are against religion and/or that religion is nothing but 'opium for the masses' -- which in turn makes you look like an ass. You also help perpetuate the widely held belief that liberals think religion is nonsense.

Throughout history, people need an outlet to worship and will do so despite the harshest of crackdowns and repeated threats to their lives -- look no further than Poland decades ago as well as modern day China.

I happen to be fairly religious but I am far from a zealot. My wife and her family are from Spain and happen to be very religious and are also some of the nicest, calm, tolerant, and well informed people around.

As I said before, Religion is between the person and the diety. Faith is belief with out proof... There is little 'proof' of God (or who or what ever one believes in) to be found, if any. Folks can argue or debate the merits of any religion if they so choose but at the end of the day it is twixt the person and their God.
When one seeks to fortify their 'belief' with condemnation of another's they destroy the very conduit of their own. Even when one has no diety it is their personal choice and how can that be wrong or up for another's scorn... Nah, each to their own and it should never be part of the national debate in politics.

If your faith is great and not dependent on running down the faith of others it would speak of one who trusts God. If you trust God you have no need of a self it would seem to me. To submit to the Will of God is to have none of your own. If thy will is done on earth than earth is heaven. Real faith, however, isn't so easy. Real faith, I should think, would be total peace, the acceptance of everything just as it is because everything is God's will.

The ego has a nasty habit of not wanting to surrender.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

If your faith is great and not dependent on running down the faith of others it would speak of one who trusts God. If you trust God you have no need of a self it would seem to me. To submit to the Will of God is to have none of your own. If thy will is done on earth than earth is heaven. Real faith, however, isn't so easy. Real faith, I should think, would be total peace, the acceptance of everything just as it is because everything is God's will.

The ego has a nasty habit of not wanting to surrender.

Yes... the ego can't surrender. It has no mechanics to do so. One can only rid themselves of the ego by accepting something far greater than themselves to replace it with... surrender to a higher power... ergo, a supreme being or notion, me thinks.

Never play an online game like WoW, for instance, if you've an ego to sate... hehehehe it will drive one nutty.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
When one seeks to fortify their 'belief' with condemnation of another's they destroy the very conduit of their own.

This is true, profoundly so, and yet as it's said, the very assertion of a negative is also the affirmation of something to be negated, and so those who protest, protest too much, and thereby simply betray their own ignorance. It is just a step, albeit a non-trivial one, towards the correction, and the negation also puts into play forces towards that.

Let them be, I agree; the truth will come out in time.

Cheers.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Yes... the ego can't surrender. It has no mechanics to do so. One can only rid themselves of the ego by accepting something far greater than themselves to replace it with... surrender to a higher power... ergo, a supreme being or notion, me thinks.

Never play an online game like WoW, for instance, if you've an ego to sate... hehehehe it will drive one nutty.

There are a number of ways, I believe. What you describe here, I think, is the way of faith. But the ego can't negotiate the terms of its surrender. It can only play games of false humility. Something external has to happen outside the ego and it's usually called Grace. You can't make grace happen. It happens to you. All you can do is try for a place where grace frequents and have it sneak up on you. That place, I think, is not committing yourself to anything that you think, but letting go of everything. God saves those at the end of their rope, I think, because, only there, they finally let go. New organs of perception come into being according to need.

ABitTooSpicy

Jun 30, 2004
There is never any point in arguing about religion.
Here are the two problems that occur with a religious person vs an atheist:
1) You can't prove to me that there is a God.
2) I can't prove to you that there isn't a God.

Here is the problem that occurs with one religion vs another:
1) My invisible friend is better than your invisible friend.

From now on there is no reason for another religion discussion. Thanks! :)

Nov 30, 2006
Originally posted by: ABitTooSpicy
There is never any point in arguing about religion.
Here are the two problems that occur with a religious person vs an atheist:
1) You can't prove to me that there is a God.
2) I can't prove to you that there isn't a God.

Here is the problem that occurs with one religion vs another:
1) My invisible friend is better than your invisible friend.

From now on there is no reason for another religion discussion. Thanks! :)
God isn't invisible. He's right in front of your nose...you just choose not to look.