Boxspring flew out of a pickup on the freeway

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: civilicious
Yes, the driver pulled over. We got all the info, got an accident report and filed a claim with the driver's insurance. The driver was driving a company vehicle that was fully insured. Neither I, nor my girlfriend have ever been in an accident so we're still trying to figure out the best way to proceed. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

cha-ching

Jun 4, 2005
At one point, anti-freeze was a different color depending on what car it was used in. Ford had their own color, BMW had their own, etc.

Most commercial antifreeze formulations include corrosion inhibiting compounds, and a colored dye (commonly a green, red or blue fluorescent) to aid in identification

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
A guy I used to work with told me one time that he and his girlfriend were in an accident...they go rear ended...it just so happened they were turning into a McDonald's so she could go pee. Well when they got rear ended, she ended up pissing herself...police showed up, wrote the report and put that in there. The guy told me that the insurance company was VERY willing to settle and because of her wetting herself they did not fight for anything and got a very nice chunk of change out of it.

The moral of the story? Pissing your pants in public can sometimes be a good thing.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Most anti freeze is green. You would have noticed the smell if it was antifreeze. As someone already said, it was probably Windshield washer fluid.

Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Wheezer
A guy I used to work with told me one time that he and his girlfriend were in an accident...they go rear ended...it just so happened they were turning into a McDonald's so she could go pee. Well when they got rear ended, she ended up pissing herself...police showed up, wrote the report and put that in there. The guy told me that the insurance company was VERY willing to settle and because of her wetting herself they did not fight for anything and got a very nice chunk of change out of it.

The moral of the story? Pissing your pants in public can sometimes be a good thing.

:D

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
God I hate it when people don't secure stuff in the bed of their trucks. :|

One time I saw an entire truck shell come off this guy's truck on the freeway, it was one of those old ones made out of wood. The thing lifted off like an airplane, went straight up into the air then crashed down in the middle of the freeway. I was able to avoid it fortunately.

I remember another time I was driving along behind a couple other cars when the car in front of the car I was following suddenly does a lane change, then the car in front of me peeled off suddenly revealing a queen size mattress sitting in the lane in front of me. Well, I was able to avoid it but the car behind me ran straight over it. The mattress got stuck under his car so the guy pulled over with the mattress dragging along under his car.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: GalvanizedYankee
She should go to the doctor for mental distress or some physical injury and sue the guy's insurance co. Is she feeling bad? Are her wrists or back sore?

I hate people like you :|.

Please don't create problems just to get cash, This guy was an Idiot, but eventually you will be attacking the company which really doesn't have a lot to do with this guy's intelligence. Ultimately, you would just be hurting the employees of this company by trying to get every nickel you could afford out of them. What you don't realize is this guy will be severely reprimanded and probably fired, so all your attacking and suing will go where? to a third party that really wasn't involved in the incident.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: nick1985
Originally posted by: KLin
Originally posted by: nick1985
Was she following to close?

Totally irrelevant unless she rear-ended him, which she didn't.

You sure the insurance company wouldnt want to know that? They are always picky about particulars.

Give me a fucking break dude. It's not like the OP and his GF are trying to rip anyone off.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The color of anti-freeze may be different depending on brand and formulation. For many years, standard ethylene glycol was the almost fluorescent green that many posters here seem to remember. In the late 90's, some of the extended-life forumulas came out, and tend to be almost anything BUT green...Dex-Cool used to be bright orange, (still might be, don't know), BMW anti-freeze is bright blue, etc...

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: TallBill
I saw a wooden bench fall off of a commercial truck onto the highway about 300 meters up the road once. Apparantly the old people in teh car next to me didn't see it. I slowed to let them make a lane change but they just plowed right into it sending wood everywhere and swerved all over the place.

:thumbsup: For you. :laugh: @ old folks.

mattocs

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Baloo
Most anti freeze is green. You would have noticed the smell if it was antifreeze. As someone already said, it was probably Windshield washer fluid.

If it is a ford, is might be that damn gold or orange junk.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Cogman
Please don't create problems just to get cash, This guy was an Idiot, but eventually you will be attacking the company which really doesn't have a lot to do with this guy's intelligence. Ultimately, you would just be hurting the employees of this company by trying to get every nickel you could afford out of them. What you don't realize is this guy will be severely reprimanded and probably fired, so all your attacking and suing will go where? to a third party that really wasn't involved in the incident.
However, if she *is* suffering from any pain or injuries, even minor, it's a good idea to get them checked out now. For one thing, if something is wrong, it's best to catch it early, and secondly if there's something wrong that was caused by this accident, the driver is rightly responsible for it.

Remember, lawsuits are about making you whole again. If her injuries are legitimate, she should seek compensation for them.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
When a front tire flied off other car, bounce across the road and hit my car. Other guy insurance cover the fixing and the car rental.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Yes, the driver pulled over. We got all the info, got an accident report and filed a claim with the driver's insurance. The driver was driving a company vehicle that was fully insured. Neither I, nor my girlfriend have ever been in an accident so we're still trying to figure out the best way to proceed. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

start by calling your insurance company... its their job to collect from the other insurance company.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
what would it matter if she was to close? it is the responsibility of the truck to make sure his cargo is tied down correctly. if it came off it is his fault.

civilicious

Sep 2, 2003
www.13bdesign.com
my girlfriend is fine. she didnt suffer any physical damage. although, she was quite upset that her brand new car just got F$&%@ed up over some boxspring. her main concern is getting a replacement vehicle while her car is in the shop, not suing for extra cash over emotional distress. although to be honest, that thought crossed my mind :)

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
good you didn't try for emotional distress. there is no way you would have been able to recover for that (from what you're saying) and it would have made her look really bad

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Though you will at best only get the repair and rental covered by their insurance b/c her vehicle was in an accident and needed repair, it's value has been lowered. Too bad, you can't get insurance to cover the difference.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
all she wants is the repairs paid for and a rental car while the car is in the shop.

Yeah, but consider the depreciation on the 12 day old vehicle that's now had serious damage. Even if she gets what you asked for she's still going to lose out.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
As a side note, while I still believe it's the responsibility of the ass-hat who lost the load in the first place, by law, if you're following so close you can't stop in an emergency, that makes it YOUR fault. It sux, but it's true.
Many years back, I was pulling a gear trailer behind a crane. The hitch broke and the trailer went off on its own. Hit a utility pole and parked car, and some of the gear fell off the trailer and into traffic. The lady closest behind me was able to stop in time to avoid the debris/gear in the roadway, but she was rear-ended and there was a minor chain-reaction involving 4 cars.
When the CHP showed up to help with things, he determined (rightly so) that my company was responsible for the parked car and the utility pole, but everything else was the responsibility of the other drivers for following too close. 2 of them sued the company, but the judge agreed and dismissed the cases.
If the box-springs had hit the car, then that's clearly the fault of the hauling driver, but if it fell in the roadway and she drove over it...that issue will get muddied a bit, and his insurance company may argue for shared negligence/responsibility...Hopefuly, they'll just step up and cover all her costs, but don't count on it happening without a fight.