Question Bought my RTX 3080 Today....UPDATE - Got It!

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
I ordered the RTX 3080 EVGA FTW3 Ultra today. Had to pay full price up front and provide/create a 4 digit PIN for pickup when it arrives. Expected delivery 2 weeks to 2 months. I am 6th in line for delivery. Last week there were 14 in line ahead, so it appears they are arriving.

**UPDATE** Picked it up today.

Last edited:

trungma

Jul 1, 2001
I did the same for a Asus Strix 3080 on Dec. 27. Hopefully it will come soon but I was something like 40th. They said about 4 weeks probably. I should call to see where I am at.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I need to finally start looking at the various models that are out there and figure out which one(s) fit in my case. I thought I was going to simply hold off until the 3080 Ti, but that looks like it is now effectively cancelled (at least until the current supply/demand shortages are resolved and/or AMD releases something or changes prices on their lineup to force Nvidia to make some kind of change themselves, which given demand, I don't see the later happening, but it is possible AMD has something up their sleeve though not probable).

trungma

Jul 1, 2001
I did see a 6800 XT at the store once. It was the only one. I would have picked it up but I already had the 3080 on order.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Scandinavia here, these dates just keep getting pushed further and further out .. I would not be surprised if we hit summer before anything turns up. (3080, 6800, 59xx).

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Just checked with the place I ordered from, I am now second in line for delivery, and they are expecting 4 units within the next shipment.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Oh man. I’m looking for one of those. I know we had some shortages due to mining recently, but I wasn’t in the market then. Never experienced literally having the money in hand and not being able to spend it before.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Oh man. I’m looking for one of those. I know we had some shortages due to mining recently, but I wasn’t in the market then. Never experienced literally having the money in hand and not being able to spend it before.
It's tough to get a GPU with Bitcoin so high. I had a heck of time getting a GTX 1080ti during the last big mining run.

Maybe we need to start limiting GPU purchases based on a person's driver license like they do when you buy pseudoephedrine products in the U.S. ;) :p

• Haha
Reactions: Mopetar and Ajay

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Reactions: Leeea

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
I ordered the RTX 3080 EVGA FTW3 Ultra today. Had to pay full price up front and provide/create a 4 digit PIN for pickup when it arrives. Expected delivery 2 weeks to 2 months. I am 6th in line for delivery. Last week there were 14 in line ahead, so it appears they are arriving.

**UPDATE** Picked it up today.

what are your impressions on the FTW3 Ultra?...I hear mixed reviews with some complaining about power/heat issues

7beauties

Mar 24, 2008
I refuse to pay three times the MSRP for a Geforce RTX 3080. I wish there was a way to reserve it at its original price. And today I read that people are scooping up all Xboxes and reselling them for as much as $1700. To make matters worse, tens of thousands of consumers have been paying what the scalpers want. I was hoping the scalpers would get burned, but no.

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
It's tough to get a GPU with Bitcoin so high. I had a heck of time getting a GTX 1080ti during the last big mining run.

Maybe we need to start limiting GPU purchases based on a person's driver license like they do when you buy pseudoephedrine products in the U.S. ;) :p
Uh oh..DEA may come knocking on my door.😝

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
I refuse to pay three times the MSRP for a Geforce RTX 3080. I wish there was a way to reserve it at its original price. And today I read that people are scooping up all Xboxes and reselling them for as much as $1700. To make matters worse, tens of thousands of consumers have been paying what the scalpers want. I was hoping the scalpers would get burned, but no.
Can't you just order it your local computer store like I did?...and only pay MSRP?

Reactions: 7beauties

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
what are your impressions on the FTW3 Ultra?...I hear mixed reviews with some complaining about power/heat issues
I love it. Haven't had any issues at all. I have noticed how quickly it heats up, but nothing above normal.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I randomly went to B&H last week and the "add to cart" button was clickable on a Gigabyte Aorus Master. Bought it. Arrived yesterday (delayed a bunch of days because NYC got hammered with snow last weekend -- they were great with lots of email updates). Card runs fast and cool. Insanely huge compared to the 1070 it replaced. Pleased with it. Getting 120 fps in Division 2 with everything ultra at 2k. 100fps in RDR2 with everything on high. Wanted a 3080 but this will do.

The Aorus Master has this built in LCD panel to show gifs or temps. Kinda neat but Gigabyte software is such garbage! Using it in a closed panel case, anyway, so it's useless accoutrement I'll never use.

Temps hit about 70 under full load in silent mode. OC mode is like 2 degrees cooler but it appears boost clocks remain the same. Hitting 1960mhz out of the box with no overclocking on my end. Card is way overbuilt and I like that.

First gigabyte card. Nice. Only complaint is the fan curve is weird. Dual BIOS card -- in OC mode, the fans click on and off nonstop when the card is at 50C, which is pretty much all the time. No hardware problems but the noise of the motors going on/off/on/off is pretty awful. Switching to silent mode BIOS and the fans don't turn on until about 55 C which is just right. Only 1-2 degrees C hotter during gaming so I'm good with the silent BIOS.

Ahh dang, realize I need to update my sig. Sure is outdated now.

Anyone else confirm the silent vs. oc bios is only fan curves and not boost clocks? I've run a few tests watching the clocks/fans/temps in HWMonitor and I don't see any difference so far. Funnily enough, I've scored higher in benchmarks in silent mode with RDR2 and F1 2020.

7beauties

Mar 24, 2008
Can't you just order it your local computer store like I did?...and only pay MSRP?

Friend, I inquired about reserving an RTX 3080 with B&H Photo and they replied that they don't accept prepayments for reservation. I've asked Best Buy the same question. I've been advised to check often for whether RTX 3080 stock has been replenished. My scant understanding is that the RTX 3080 stock was quickly gobbled up by bots for nimkapoops who think they can mine Bitcoin and folks who want to resell it on eBay for three - four times the MSRP. Insofar as mining Bitcoin, how many GPUs would you need when today Bitcoin is worth $48,662.40 USD today?

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Friend, I inquired about reserving an RTX 3080 with B&H Photo and they replied that they don't accept prepayments for reservation. I've asked Best Buy the same question. I've been advised to check often for whether RTX 3080 stock has been replenished. My scant understanding is that the RTX 3080 stock was quickly gobbled up by bots for nimkapoops who think they can mine Bitcoin and folks who want to resell it on eBay for three - four times the MSRP. Insofar as mining Bitcoin, how many GPUs would you need when today Bitcoin is worth $48,662.40 USD today?

They are mining Ethereum most likely. Whether they cash that out or flip it into BTC is up to the miner in question.

There is an active thread on that right now, I would see it for updated info on the ROI. Right now it's real.