bought a used video card off the forums

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Having a odd problem. Computer posts,loads windows(can hear it through the speakers) but I get no montor signal. I used both VGA port and the VGA to DVI adapter(I thinks the name of it). Any ideas? Only thing I've tried and know to try is removing the card and reseating it.

Its a Gainward Ti4200 128mb 8x. I am running it in a 4x mobo but I don't think that would effect it? The old Geforce that came out of it works ok in it.

One last thing. This card came with a wire soldered on the top of it. It looks like its factory because whoever/whatever done it did a nice job. I've never seen a factory video card with a wire soldered on though.

Card looks nice and clean.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
I just tried it out in another system and it works fine? How could it not be compatible with a mobo? The other systems mobo is much crappier. The one it doesnt work in is a Asus A7M I think.

deathwalker

Golden Member
May 22, 2003
Have you tried to boot in the safe mode? If you can boot in the safe mode and not in normal mode because you get no video...it could be possible that you have a refresh rate problem..

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
the video card won't even display the system info it shows nothing on the screen at all. But the system beeps(post noise). It has to be a BIOS issue I don't know why the newer BIOS didnt work. It says adds GF4 support.

capricorn

May 8, 2003
I've got that same Gainward Ti4200 card running in a 4X max Gigabyte (7VRXP) motherboard. It works fine at 4X, but I do recall that earlier revs if that motherboard wouldn't support the GF4 series. The box had a extra sticker slapped on it that said that it supported the GF4.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
yeah I tried it

Curious is that soldered wire factory and does Gainward require proof of purchase to RMA?

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Gainward must be junk. It will post is a older gateway computer with crappy mobo but won't show a signal while in a Asus A7M266 or a Abit NF7-S 2.0. What the hell is going on here?

I tried pulling the Asus out of the case and running just the memory,CPU and video with no luck this blows.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
I tried the Gainward in a Abit NF7-S 2.0 and it doesnt the same thing. I think its both the A7M and Gainward but more so the Gainward.