Bought a silver paper weight.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
With inflation the rich will be burning their cash to stay warm.

Personally would have gold and silver in my fireproof safe. I'm a SHTF kind of guy and would rather eat than suck dick for food.

Just sayin'. Shit ain't getting any better.

In the economy you are talking about what makes you think gold or silver would be worth any thing more then paper money? When the man with the case of baked beans wants ammo, axes or bow strings what's your metal gonna buy?

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
I started buying silver coins for kids when I get invited to friends' kids' birthdays rather than another toy that will end up in the landfill.

That's like giving them a box of condoms. They'll look at you like you're insane. How can I play with this shiny rock?

Give kids some chair legs from home depot and let them sword fight.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The problem with physical PM as an investment is the wide bid/ask spread and the liquidity compared to the SPY ETF for example.

Also metals have a carry cost associated with as well.

With something like the SPY ETF you are investing is a very liquid much lower risk investment that will provide better returns over time. Also you can hedge easy against risk via collars, straight long put positions or just selling OTM calls to collect some risk premium for holding the ETF. That way you collect dividends and call premiums.

PM is a musical chairs investment, you are trying to find a greater fool willing to pay more for some inert metal than you did and of course hope that when the music stops you have a chair to sit on.

Now if you do want to invest in it for some reason, I would not recommend more than .3% of your entire investment portfolio in PM's

Interesting. I agree with other posters that in a SHTF scenario PM's would most likely fall to the lower tier of wants, but I would have thought in the current world they were purposely kept (like diamonds) to keep the prices up and perception of rarity and value (and that people actually wanted them).

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
That's like giving them a box of condoms. They'll look at you like you're insane. How can I play with this shiny rock?

Meh. Kids have far too much crap bought for them that they get bored with really soon.

How cool would it be to have a bag of silver coins when you're 18?

Feb 25, 2011
Meh. Kids have far too much crap bought for them that they get bored with really soon.

How cool would it be to have a bag of silver coins when you're 18?

Idunno about generic silver slugs, but as a kid I always thought foreign money/coins were pretty cool.

OTOH, I was kind of a social studies/geography/history nerd.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001

I'm a youngin, so my friends usually have kids still in their toddler stages. They wouldn't know if I got them something or not. Maybe it'll be appreciated when they get older, maybe not. Buying a tube of these along with some coin capsules was cheaper and easier than having to think about what to buy each kid.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
If you want a paper weight that could actually increase in value, try one of the 5oz solid silver America the Beautiful "quarters." Historically, the mintage numbers have been low enough to guarantee rarity - most are in the 20-30k range but this year they seem to be more in the 40k range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameri...on_Coins#Coins_released_to_date_in_the_Series

I have a few of those in my coin collection. Honestly though proof sets and commemorative sets etc.. do not really appreciate much even with low mintage. Collect them for the beauty etc.. but as an investment not so much.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
With how much the ancients loved to use lead in everything (not just for transmuting lead to gold), I'd be wary of using anything pre-1995.

wat

not in my owl

IDYoFIM.jpg

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
10 oz Geiger bar is pretty small and compact. That's about the only thing it has going for it. I would never pay $3 over spot for Geiger but I'm not a fan. 100 oz silver bar makes nice doorstop.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I have a few of those in my coin collection. Honestly though proof sets and commemorative sets etc.. do not really appreciate much even with low mintage. Collect them for the beauty etc.. but as an investment not so much.
IDK. Slap an MS70 or MS69 rating on it, and I think you could do ok - assuming that PCG or NGC will rate them for you at a reasonable price.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
10 oz Geiger bar is pretty small and compact. That's about the only thing it has going for it. I would never pay $3 over spot for Geiger but I'm not a fan. 100 oz silver bar makes nice doorstop.

Thats why I got it. I wanted a small dense paperweight, they look interesting as well.

JMapleton

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2008
Anyhow Silver and gold have taken a massive hit, I wonder how all the gold/silverbugs who plowed money into these investments must feel seeing the prices plummet to a point where now you can buy them and use them as paperweights in the office.

Gold is still trading at more than double what it did 10 years ago. Hardly would call that a "massive hit."

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Gold is still trading at more than double what it did 10 years ago. Hardly would call that a "massive hit."

It would be if you bought when it was high. I wonder how many people are doing who loaded up on gold during the 1400-1900 range. When the TV people were saying buy gold to protect your buying power against the fiat currency.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Another Paperweight arrived. the 1 kilo Kookaburra 550 dollar paperweight. It looks amazing. :)

Although I think it costs more now since I bought it.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Another Paperweight arrived. the 1 kilo Kookaburra 550 dollar paperweight. It looks amazing. :)

You should buy one of these:

120813-engraved%20gold%20plated%20tungsten%20bar-01.jpg

It's not gold. It's gold-plated tungsten. It would definitely be a conversation starter.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

I like the 2015 Kook which is the same as the 1990 design. Perth mint puts out quality stuff. The buyback price on that kilo Kook is anywhere from $.50 to $.90 an ounce over spot at the major online dealers provided you sell minimum $1,000 to $10,000. So it's worth around $529 max at the current $15.58 spot price.

You should get a kilo Libertad as a paperweight if you don't have one already. The relief and the detail are higher on the larger size coin and shows off the beautiful Libertad design. Who doesn't like bigger boobs?