Bought a Samsung washer & dryer *YEH SAMSUNG*

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
So their top loaders had an oh shit this this fucker can explode on you pretty good sized recall. I did read up on it, I thought they had fixed it. And I found them on a stupid cheap sale @ Frys, so I bought the pair. Come to find out, their fix was to make the bedding setting and a few of the other ones basically not spin your items. How is making it not wash the shit properly considered a fix? I washed my bedding and it came out essentially soaking wet and took forever to dry. I watched it off and on and I don't think it spun once. Just a bunch of very slow shake agitations. I can't imagine with the lack of spinning my shit actually got that clean either. Amazing that their fix was to keep it from spinning with heavy items. Even more amazing is from 2011 till now they weren't able to actually fix the problem.

Even with all that bitching, I love the sink feature and for normal washing this thing's pretty bad ass. A shame they still haven't figured out how to fix it right, but I guess that's probably why I got them for 45% off.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't have a good impression of Samsung appliances. There seems to be a lot of problems for machines that perform simple functions.

Reactions: OutHouse

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I don't have a good impression of Samsung appliances. There seems to be a lot of problems for machines that perform simple functions.

Exploding washers, exploding cell phones, massive recalls. It's surprising people aren't a lot harder on them. I got em for $499 each, normally $900-$1000 each everywhere else. So I was okay with the known issue. I'm impressive nothing can seem to tarnish the public's view of them as a company. I will say the sink features one of the coolest washing machine features I've ever seen.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Samsung appliances are junk. I have a refrigerator with an ice up drain, so water accumulates under the meat drawer. I also have an oven that considers 100 degrees over the set temperature as the proper time to turn off the heat and 50 degrees under as the time to turn it on. Never buying them again.

Reactions: OutHouse

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Exploding washers, exploding cell phones, massive recalls. It's surprising people aren't a lot harder on them. I got em for $499 each, normally $900-$1000 each everywhere else. So I was okay with the known issue. I'm impressive nothing can seem to tarnish the public's view of them as a company. I will say the sink features one of the coolest washing machine features I've ever seen.

I'll give them a pass on their phone. Sometimes shit happens, especially when you're pushing the boundaries of what's possible(ZOMG! Phones gotta be as thin as paper :^S ), but it seems like one thing after another with them. I can't point to anything specific, but it seems I'm always reading forum posts and short articles on how a Samsung whatever didn't do its job properly.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I can't point to anything specific, but it seems I'm always reading forum posts and short articles on how a Samsung whatever didn't do its job properly.

That's because they sell a shit ton of everything!

Anyway buy Bosch if you want white goods that last.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
My buddy replaced most of his kitchen with Samsung. 3 months later his microwave shot sparks while cooking popcorn and a hole was melted in the side wall (on the inside). He wasn't offered a replacement, only some money back. What he was offered was less than the regular price of the thing, but he got it on sale so it was enough and he took it.

I don't like my GE appliances, but at least they don't explode

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My parents got a new Samsung fridge and they've had nothing but problems with it. They had to get a repair guy come fix it at least 3 times so far and it's not even a year old. Thankfully it's under warranty but still a pain to have to deal with.

I would never buy a major appliance from that brand. Personally I'd stick to the brands that have a better track record like Frigidaire, Inglis etc.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Two words: Speed Queen.

https://speedqueen.com/

Best washers and dryers ever made in my opinion.
I see Speed Queen and it immediately makes me remember back to my childhood and a gameshow called "Queen For A Day" where they always gave away Speed Queen appliances. As for Samsung, we have a Samsung gas range, fridge, microwave, and dishwasher and they all have been as reliable as the GE crap they replaced.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Issue with speed queen is availability. You never see those in stores. I checked for fun where I'd have to go in my area to buy one and I'd have to go down south in Toronto area. There was a store in Quebec too that might be closer. They probably ship, but only to your door, so it would be up to me to bring it in the house. Still worth considering I suppose though when I'm due for a new set. I want a front loader at one point so I can do comforters at home but I'm also not fond of the LG, Samsung etc ones, they seem to all have QC issues and don't last. A washer/dryer combo should last at very least 10-15 years imo.

Reactions: pcgeek11

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Samsung appliances are junk. I have a refrigerator with an ice up drain, so water accumulates under the meat drawer. I also have an oven that considers 100 degrees over the set temperature as the proper time to turn off the heat and 50 degrees under as the time to turn it on. Never buying them again.

my co-worker bought a samsung fridge and was pure shit.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
NYC and their stupid water conservation is screwing up our laundry. These HE washers that don't have agitators don't make any sense to me.

A few years back, my whirlpool washer started leaking (main tub seal leak). I didn't bother trying to fix it when I diagnosed the problem and didn't bother setting foot inside a store because I knew the kind of bad appliances they sell at all the stores around here. I went to one of the online sites and ordered a SpeedQueen for around $750 delivered. It took about 4 days to get it here from Brooklyn via freight delivery, but it was worth the wait. Stainless steel tub, REAL agitator in top loader, manual water level settings... High efficiency in laundry means less water to carry the dirt away....and less water to rinse the soap with. If you're into that, you might as well buy a Smart Car so you have less car for your money too.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Two words: Speed Queen.

https://speedqueen.com/

Best washers and dryers ever made in my opinion.
I didn't even read through the thread to see this.

I'm in total agreement. I have a SpeedQueen AWN542 and will likely get a dryer when mine dies, but it's still kicking at almost 20 years old (came with the house)....I don't need it to be all matchy-matchy like some people, but I do need clean shirts.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I didn't even read through the thread to see this.

I'm in total agreement. I have a SpeedQueen AWN542 and will likely get a dryer when mine dies, but it's still kicking at almost 20 years old (came with the house)....I don't need it to be all matchy-matchy like some people, but I do need clean shirts.

My 18 year old washer quit a while back and we bought a HE washer from the local store and after 4 warranty calls in a month we took it back and bought the Speed Queen AWNE82SP with the manual timers ( read this as no electronic circuit boards ). That washer is a battle tank compared to the garbage they sell in the local appliance markets.

HE washers suck!

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
So their top loaders had an oh shit this this fucker can explode on you pretty good sized recall. I did read up on it, I thought they had fixed it. And I found them on a stupid cheap sale @ Frys, so I bought the pair. Come to find out, their fix was to make the bedding setting and a few of the other ones basically not spin your items. How is making it not wash the shit properly considered a fix? I washed my bedding and it came out essentially soaking wet and took forever to dry. I watched it off and on and I don't think it spun once. Just a bunch of very slow shake agitations. I can't imagine with the lack of spinning my shit actually got that clean either. Amazing that their fix was to keep it from spinning with heavy items. Even more amazing is from 2011 till now they weren't able to actually fix the problem.

Even with all that bitching, I love the sink feature and for normal washing this thing's pretty bad ass. A shame they still haven't figured out how to fix it right, but I guess that's probably why I got them for 45% off.
What's the sink feature? You just pour water like it's a sink to get rid of it?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
What's the sink feature? You just pour water like it's a sink to get rid of it?

it's called Activewash actually, the top opens and there's a sink with ridges where you can soak and scrub items. Then when you open it the stuff falls into the drum. It's pretty damn cool.

With that said, the cap thing in the middle of the drum came off and one of the clips broke. Considering that was after 3 loads I'm not very impressed at the quality lol.

washer-inside.jpg

the thing right in the middle's what broke off, it went back on but it's missing a clip so it'll probably come off next wash. don't know how important it is, but it's sad how poorly things are built.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
it's called Activewash actually, the top opens and there's a sink with ridges where you can soak and scrub items. Then when you open it the stuff falls into the drum. It's pretty damn cool.

With that said, the cap thing in the middle of the drum came off and one of the clips broke. Considering that was after 3 loads I'm not very impressed at the quality lol.

washer-inside.jpg

the thing right in the middle's what broke off, it went back on but it's missing a clip so it'll probably come off next wash. don't know how important it is, but it's sad how poorly things are built.

I get it. It is like a built in scrub board. Damn that is going backwards in tech.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/-/me...y-Hand-with-a-Washboard/Laundry-Washboard.jpg

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

washer-inside.jpg

Contact the company and see if they'll send you a clip... You may be able to get a part number or possibly the part from an appliance supply shop online. Sometimes little parts like that are $5 or less + shipping.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My 18 year old washer quit a while back and we bought a HE washer from the local store and after 4 warranty calls in a month we took it back and bought the Speed Queen AWNE82SP with the manual timers ( read this as no electronic circuit boards ). That washer is a battle tank compared to the garbage they sell in the local appliance markets.

HE washers suck!
Manual timers suck because they are mechanical and all eventually wear out/break.....however, replacement is $55 and that's hella cheaper than spending $150 for a printed circuit board that's gotten moisture in it. I fear what's not been proven and I have an assumption that lint, moisture, and corrosion will build on those printed circuit board control panels over time and they'll eventually require replacement OR a solid cleaning with alcohol and a scrub pad. The plastic buttons that go over the control pads and the cover to the panels will also wear out with use and require replacement...those can also be pricey... (I've seen this on dishwashers when the same cycles are selected frequently)

We do too much laundry to deviate from what works and I like manual knobs and solid-state switches versus electronics.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I bought Samsung front loader W/D pair last Thanksgiving. So far very happy but keeping fingers crossed.