Question Bought a new MSI 3080ti and got a used MSI 2070. What would you do?

Nat09

Nov 24, 2021
Hello!
I have ordered new graphics card MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti on Amazon. The package I received MSI GeForce RTX 2070 graphics card, on top of that it had signs of usage with dust on the fans and scratches on the frame. The mailing box was sealed without any signs of being opened, however the box of the graphics card itself came without any safety wrap or seals. After that I have left a review of the product on Amazon and attached photos of the used graphics card. Then I contacted customer service and followed their instructions. They told me to send the graphics card back to Amazon. Upon receiving the graphics card I was told that I won’t get the money back because it was a different card. However, I don’t have another card, I returned the only card sent to me by Amazon. I was refused a refund and the card I’ve returned was disposed. No money, no graphics card.
What would you do?

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Damn, that sucks. Not sure what you can do, unless you have a video of you opening the packaging and showing what you received. I think you are SOL.

Rebel_L

Nov 9, 2009
Damn, that sucks. Not sure what you can do, unless you have a video of you opening the packaging and showing what you received. I think you are SOL.

Usually large vendors like Amazon will eat such claims without much investigation unless there is already an established history of such claims from a client and I am surprised at the response from amazon. Its not like amazon has a video of them packaging the correct item and following the package to the recipients door as proof of no wrongdoing on their part.

If its from a smaller third party seller I could see them trying to make more of a fuss but if you paid by credit card that is an easy next step as others have already mentioned. I have never had a credit card company not be on my side when it comes to looking into such matters. If they accepted and destroyed a returned item I am pretty sure they are obligated to give a refund. I have a hard time believing amazons response if it was not a third party seller on amazon unless there was a huge communication mixup somewhere.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Yes, contacting the credit company is probably your only solution.

Contact the seller and if you get anything even remotely resembling a run-around then file a charge-back immediately. Honestly at this point I'd probably go with the charge-back first since it's hard to believe this is any kind of honest mistake.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Stop payment by filing a claim of fraud with your credit card company! Go with what your credit card company request! That way you not feeling helpless and credit company is pretty strong even against Amazon! Money talks!

Spikke

Jun 23, 2007
Definitely file a dispute with your credit card. But I will say that's pretty unusual for Amazon returns, they are normally really easy on that. I once received and empty box and they didn't even ask for any proof, just shipped me a replacement the next day.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I suspect a company like Amazon has some sort of score/metric associated with each profile that ranks profitability and gives customer service reps a $ value they can refund per person no questions asked. Go above that value and then it gets much tougher to return.

So if you use Amazon heavily, they will be more relaxed on returns than if you use Amazon sparingly or only purchase low margin stuff from them.

I suspect something like this might be at play in this case.

Make sure you confirm what the consequences are of doing a charge back on an Amazon account. While I doubt it some big thing to go and make a new account, a lot of digital storefronts will simply lock or delete your account if they get a charge back from you.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I'll bet some errant employee switched it with his own card during packaging or shipping. The value of these cards is so high that any dishonest shmuck may be tempted during the order handling process.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I'll bet some errant employee switched it with his own card during packaging or shipping. The value of these cards is so high that any dishonest shmuck may be tempted during the order handling process.

- Don't Amazon employees have to go through some insane screening process when entering and exiting the warehouse facility? Was a whole court case about Warehouse workers having to spend 1+ unpaid hour in screening lines just to clock into their shift on time.

Could just have likely have been a "warranty" scam type situation where someone else got a "free" upgrade and payed their BS forward to OP.

Reactions: Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Then I contacted customer service and followed their instructions.
Who did you contact?

A third party or Amazon?

What you want to do is call Amazon on the phone.

The whole point of Amazon is you can call them and talk to a customer service rep relatively quickly. That is why I pay more to buy through them. I have found them extremely reasonable over the years, both purchasing for business and personal.

Last edited:

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Check the original listing to see if the order was both sold fulfilled by Amazon. If not it will list the seller. Amazon basically underwrites sellers who sell through amazon. I believe you because there is no benefit to you unless you had a burned out 2070 card and wanted to swap it with a new card. It would be hard to find the exact 2070 model in this market to swap it out from the buyers perspective.

My guess is that you bought a 2070 that was 3rd party using Amazon to sell a repackaged used card.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
- Don't Amazon employees have to go through some insane screening process when entering and exiting the warehouse facility? Was a whole court case about Warehouse workers having to spend 1+ unpaid hour in screening lines just to clock into their shift on time.

Could just have likely have been a "warranty" scam type situation where someone else got a "free" upgrade and payed their BS forward to OP.

Amazon Fulfillment Centers (FCs) do have strict screening processes and security as a part of their Stop Loss division. They don't monitor activities within the FC very well at all, but anything going into or out of the facility through the entrances is checked carefully. The docks, however . . . ? That's less clear. They probably have good security over there as well in some fashion, though.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Amazon Fulfillment Centers (FCs) do have strict screening processes and security as a part of their Stop Loss division. They don't monitor activities within the FC very well at all, but anything going into or out of the facility through the entrances is checked carefully. The docks, however . . . ? That's less clear. They probably have good security over there as well in some fashion, though.
Amazon operations manager steals $273,000 in PC components

Reactions: legcramp