Bought a laptop, wannna play some games.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
There's lots of cheap laptop deals lately, but virtually all of them come with one of intel integrated graphics chips which rate on different orders of crappy. There's some low end AMD based laptops that come with the 3200 and 4200 integrated chips, which are a bit better but still nothing great.

I think about a year ago I bought an MSI laptop as a gift for some one that had a core2duo 2.2ghz combined with an ATI 4650 or 4670 graphics board for ~$700. I thought this was a good pairing while still being affordable. There doesn't seem to be many midrange options for gaming capable laptops even still. There's a plethora with bottom of the line integrated trash and then you have to throw a lot more money around to get any kind of decent graphics card...which also kills battery life.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
acer has some good options with mid range ATI 4500 and 4600 series GPU's under $700

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
I just bought a Toshiba Satellite L505, which has 4 GB DDR3 memory, 250 hard drive, dual core 2.2 Hz, and Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M.

Ok, so based on my research this laptop is not too bad right, so I thought I would do some gaming on it since there's a bunch of games I've wanted to play for a long time. Now I don't plan on playing games like Crysis or Starcraft 2 or Battlefield BC 2 or any super HD graphics games. To give you an idea here's some games I plan on playing:

Fable the lost chapters, dark messiah of might and magic, mount and blade, baldur's gate 1 &2, gothic 2, mass effect 1, everquest, etc.

That's why I've come to you anandtech community, should I not waste my money purchasing these games if I won't be able to play them or do you think my laptop can handle these games? Also, I plan on playing these games with a controller, are most PC games compatible with a controller?

This laptop can run any game made before 2004 or set at graphics comparable to games at 2004. Enjoy. Also Mame emulator will run great on this thing.. WITH 4xHQ filter... woooooooooo:D