Bought a Keurig, makes terrible coffee. Suggest replacement

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Does anyone here have an espresso machine they HIGHLY recommend, with emphasis on HIGHLY? I'm kinda in the market for one and don't trust the whiners on amazon

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

Do you have to hit or bang on the machine to get it started? I always have to the first time it is used on a given day.

i have had this keurig for about 2 years now and have used it to brew two cups every morning at work. i use the ekobrew refillable cups and have never had to hit my machine for any reason.

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
Does anyone here have an espresso machine they HIGHLY recommend, with emphasis on HIGHLY? I'm kinda in the market for one and don't trust the whiners on amazon

how much do you want to spend? semi-automatic? super automatic?

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Odd about OP's experience considering the Keureg performs the exact same actions as a typical coffee maker. Single serving of grounds with hot water through filter. Exact same thing unless one wanted to argue that the plastic containers leaked a chemical into the grounds to change the taste. So either OP prefers a different serving to water ratio or used a brand that wasn't to his taste.
When I had one, I couldn't tell the difference using the same brand of coffee. I destroyed it though when I tried to clean it using vinegar, bad mistake. Otherwise my preferred brand tastes the same using my current Mr. Coffee. French press and perculators to me just make it taste stronger.

Nov 8, 2012
Odd about OP's experience considering the Keureg performs the exact same actions as a typical coffee maker. Single serving of grounds with hot water through filter. Exact same thing unless one wanted to argue that the plastic containers leaked a chemical into the grounds to change the taste. So either OP prefers a different serving to water ratio or used a brand that wasn't to his taste.
When I had one, I couldn't tell the difference using the same brand of coffee. I destroyed it though when I tried to clean it using vinegar, bad mistake. Otherwise my preferred brand tastes the same using my current Mr. Coffee. French press and perculators to me just make it taste stronger.

It can be other things. Personally I see a lot of times that it just doesn't do well with how the water pumps.

Initially it comes out dark - as it should... then by midway through it lightens up... and by the end it damn well looks like 90% water is coming out.

That's been my experience with Keurigs - and I still use one just because I got it as a gift and I'm overall fine with it I guess.

EDIT: Also just in general, I fucking hate the concept of a Keurig. How an industry managed to turn a $10 device into a $200 device - and turn a $5 can of coffee into $40 of stupid K-Cups. I refuse to buy K-Cups and only use refillable ones.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I bought the Starbucks version and its really quite good. If you like Starbucks coffee its pretty much like getting a cup at home. Pike's Place is the best IMO but the different varieties are generally all good.

I also broke down and bought a Nespresso on clearance. I don't use it nearly as much but when I want a cup of "dessert coffee" it's not bad. I think Nespresso is meant to be drank the way it comes out of the machine, without milk or sugar as not to disturb the huge crema. Also - all of the pods I've tried seem to have a slight flavoring.

Starbucks - 9/10

Nespresso - 7/10