Bought a couple processors today and this is how they showed up..

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
It bothers me. Am i being too anal about this, or do I have cause to complain (not that I ever needed a cause)

I guess I just make sure everything I sell is pretty clean and good to go.

P1010095.JPG

P1010095.JPG

The second one isnt bad really, but the 1st one.. WOW..

I hope they both work.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Are they refurbs? If not, I'd return them, they have the remains of thermal grease all over them. Mind you, it can be cleaned easily enough, but I'd return them if they were described as new.

*edit* I just saw your response, clean up the mess with a q-tip and acetone or 99% isopropyl alcohol

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
So it has thermal grease smeared all over?

Why would that cause it not to work?

Clean it up if you don't like it. It's not a big deal.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Well it looks like someone put thermal grease on them and pulled the heatsink off. If they weren't supposed to be new, sounds like you got what you ordered. If they were supposed to be unused, you got screwed. But if you ordered them used, then, well, that's about right.

You'd be worse off if someone didn't put thermal material between the HSF and die.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
eh, it's bad form to send a dirty CPU even if it's used, but i wouldn't get my panties in a twist about it, either.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I'm not mad at the sellers at all.. Quite the contrary. They got them to me before Christmas which is what I was hoping.

I have sold a couple used processors before and always make it a point to use bug and tar remover to get rid of all traces of heatsink grease. I am just basing responses to see how you all feel and consensus shows that perhaps I am overdoing it when I sell used processors.

Thanks for your input.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
eh, it's bad form to send a dirty CPU even if it's used, but i wouldn't get my panties in a twist about it, either.

They were advertised as USED.

Solution: $.69 bottle of alcohol + $.03 worth of cotton swabs. I'll paypal you the 72 cents if you want (CC only)

RelaxTheMind

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2002
How much did you pay for them? Id just clean them off too... That scratch/crack looks kinda bad. Tell us how they work out for you. One of the messiest Thermal paste job I ever seen. All the extra paste would hinder the heat dissipation quite a bit too. Id email that person and tell them that your not really supposed to use the whole packet of thermal paste... hehe

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
it was a hair, not a crack or scratch..

yes, it came like that, with the hair on it.