Boston ATOTers, What do you use for internet access?

thelanx

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2000
I'm moving to a new apartment and looking at options for internet access now that I don't have school internet. What do you guys use? I'm leaning towards DSL, but do I need a phone line or are there now companies in the area that offer DSL without phone service? Thanks in advance!

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
you have to get a phone line to get the decent price, otherwise verizon boost the price of the internet if you dont get phone.

Comcast cable is the popular choice, but pretty expensive. 60$ per month roughly gets you basic cable and internet. If you get internet without basic cable, it costs more (ironic). If you get standard cable, its like 100+$

If you like meeting neighbors etc., I know some people that bum off of wireless and pay their neighbors a small amount per month.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Your options are RCN, Comcast, and Verizon DSl and/or FIOS. You probably only get one or two of the three at any given neighborhood. They all suck in their own special ways. I've heard good things about FIOS and haven't had too many issues with Comcast, but I hate both of those companies on principle.

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004
Comcast is 19.99 til the end of the year

RCN is pretty good if you combo with their TV

Megamach 20MB is crazy

thelanx

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2000
Thanks for the info guys, and bump for other possible advice from the weekend people.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
I don't live up in Boston, but I've had Verizon DSL for a few years now and I would recommend it.

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
in boston if you can get it go verizon fios. If that is not available ask your neighbors if they have comcast if it has been stable then go with that (some areas the signal just plain sucks). Lastly if you can't get any of the previous options go with either roadrunner or verizon dsl.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
like everyone has stated, each company sucks in their own way. I've found RCN (which I believe is currently operating under Chapter 11) to be the worst. RCN and Comcast are both expensive and force you to buy regular cable with your internet service. I don't know too much about Verizon.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I have comcast. Works good.

Yes, there is "naked dsl" from verizon. For some reason, though, the service was not good in my apartment (kept disconnecting) when I upgraded to the faster service, but it works fine for other people in the area ( I live in the back bay). Keep in mind though that you have 30 days to try DSL out.

Boston does not have FIOS yet. :(