boss told us he'd pay for our lunch, but....

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
ok so me and this guy started in our team last monday. today the whole team went out to lunch to celebrate someone's bday and naturally they invited us 2. the plan was that we'd all chip in and pay for the birthday boy. well me, other new guy, and our mentor left early to get back to the office. just now our mentor (not our boss per se) told us that he'll pay for me and my colleague. obviously i protested a little, but eventually agreed. now i feel akward cuz the original plan was to all chip in. what should i do?

edit: it wasnt just like 5 bucks a person. we went to a pretty fancy place and the bill came out to $23/ perosn

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Stop thinking about it.

Stuff like this happens all the time. The higher ranked person pays for the lower ranked.

Nothing to feel wierd about.

Fiveohhh

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: LordJezo
Stop thinking about it.

Stuff like this happens all the time. The higher ranked person pays for the lower ranked.

I need a job like that...i need a job period..

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: LordJezo
Stop thinking about it.

bingo

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Fiveohhh
I'd give him the cash than ya don't gotta worry about owing him anything

definately cant do that. another teammember paid for everyone with her CC then divided up the bill equally (minus the bday boy). if anything id pay her.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
when boss says he'll pay. You let him pay.

Arguing over the bill isn't something you do in a job scenario, client, etc.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
when boss says he'll pay. You let him pay.

Arguing over the bill isn't something you do in a job scenario, client, etc.

ok...i'll take ur word for it

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
lol, im starting to like the thread topics that end in '...' . before i clicked, 1,000 possibilities ran through my mind...

Topic: boss told us he'd pay for our lunch, but.... [click on thread] but i would have to give him a reach-around
(or)
Topic: boss told us he'd pay for our lunch, but.... [click on thread] but he would go 'honeymoon in vegas' on me and pay for my lunch for 1 night with my girlfriend

...and the list goes on... nothing personal, just open-ended topics leave so much to the imagination. :p

flyfish

Oct 23, 2000
I went to the beer store one day after work and my boss was in line behind me at the checkout. He payed for my beer.

I called in sick the next day.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: DuffmanOhYeah
take him out to a strip club and buy him a dance. Bam! You are even.

he's a married man and if he has morals, this could work against me