News Boris Johnson moved to ICU

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Hope he hangs in there. I wonder if Trump's buddy dying would have any effect.

Mods- this OP came up simultaneously with the other. Please combine.

I merged the 2 threads. Yours was first.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

Boris Johnson has been moved to intensive care after his coronavirus symptoms worsened, Downing Street have confirmed.

A statement from Number 10 said: "over the course of this afternoon, the condition of the Prime Minister has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital.

"The PM has asked Foreign Secretary, Dominic Raab, who is the First Secretary of State, to deputise for him where necessary.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Not a good sign.

This is why people need to take this seriously

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Hope he hangs in there. I wonder if Trump's buddy dying would have any effect.

Doh, I just posted this after you.

I don’t know if it’ll have any effect on a pathological narcissist like Trump, but it’ll definitely have an effect on the legacy of Brexit and perhaps shatter the notion that the UK emerged “stronger”.

Edit: Obvi the flipside is if he recovers, he’ll surge in popularity—at least until he screws with the NHS again.

Jan 25, 2011

said he was shaking hands with coronavirus patients just weeks before he tested positive for Covid-19. The prime minister confirmed he had entered self-isolation on Friday 27 March. Early this month, he insisted that people would be 'pleased to know' that the virus would not stop him greeting hospital patients with a handshake

This is why people look to their leaders to set an example. Not to dismiss what the experts are warning.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
This sudden collapse in health is a danger sign. He's in real trouble.

Hope he's ok, but this is what dicking around with this can cost you.

How many lives did he endanger with his cynicism, bravado, and inaction?

Reactions: misuspita

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Thoughts and prayers.

Johnson did change his tune eventually, but this does repeat a common theme of populist leaders (him, Trump, Bolsonaro and the like): they downplay the threat of the virus at a critical moment and might well have cost lives. It's just a question of how long they hold out. The scary thing is that Bolsonaro is minimizing the threat even while the virus is on a full-fledged rampage.

May 13, 2009
This shit don't F around. Still seeing plenty of old folks around here walking around grocery shopping with no masks on. I'm 39 and healthy as a horse and I am wearing a mask. Can't believe people don't care about themselves or someone else enough to put on a simple mask for the 30 minutes you are most exposed. Wouldn't piss me off if it just killed them. Problem is that they become carriers and this thing prolongs.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
This shit don't F around. Still seeing plenty of old folks around here walking around grocery shopping with no masks on. I'm 39 and healthy as a horse and I am wearing a mask. Can't believe people don't care about themselves or someone else enough to put on a simple mask for the 30 minutes you are most exposed. Wouldn't piss me off if it just killed them. Problem is that they become carriers and this thing prolongs.
Unfortunately, the government just officially declared they were necessary like just a few days ago. People tend to listen to higher authority. Unfortunately, our higher authority is mentally an 8 year old.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
He has a pregnant girlfriend. Remember that before you start being smug arseholes.

Guess he should have heeded the warnings instead of being a stupid, smug asshole. You can take your useless finger waging and piss off.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Made me mad AF when this old guy was walking by me in Walgreens this morning with no mask and practically yelling across the store talking to the cashier. Meanwhile I'm wearing a mask to protect his dumb ass in case I'm an asymptomatic carrier. Mask doesn't do a god damn thing to help me if he is a carrier and I have to breath his shit in because he thinks this is a good time to have a loud conversation with someone 30 feet away.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Say what?! o_Oo_Oo_O

He was walking around knowingly shaking hands with covid-19 carriers while he had a pregnant girlfriend?

Who is the arsehole?

No fucking shit, what a worthless POS likely exposing his GF to this. COVID-19 is supposed to be particularly dangerous to pregnant women since they have a heightened immune system more prone to the cytokine storm that is killing people. I hope she doesn't get it. He has no one to blame but himself for being an ignoramus.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
He has a pregnant girlfriend. Remember that before you start being smug arseholes.
I’m not happy that he is sick and I hope he recovers.

He is likely responsible for large numbers of his countrymen becoming sick and dying though so there is some poetic justice in him meeting the same fate his arrogance, stupidity, and cynicism has visited on them. Same with Trump and Bolsonaro.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I’m not happy that he is sick and I hope he recovers.

He is likely responsible for large numbers of his countrymen becoming sick and dying though so there is some poetic justice in him meeting the same fate his arrogance, stupidity, and cynicism has visited on them. Same with Trump and Bolsonaro.

It is a vivid and harsh demonstration that a virus doesn't care about bluster or irresponsible bravado. Lots of people in this country would do well to take note.

Reactions: Aegeon

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I don't wish him a bad-outcome but I'm not going to spare extra-special concern for him when so many others are suffering the same or worse.

Hopefully he won't die and become a Brexit martyr, forever beyond criticism, painted as the greatest leader who never was. That would be unbearable. And, to be fair, he's not as bad as Trump. Nor even quite as malevolent as some other Tories (e.g. Ian Duncan Smith, or Chris 'failing' Grayling).

Hopefully this might bring home to everyone, even Fox commentators, assorted libertarians and internet-macho-men, that this is a lot worse than flu and that the fuss isn't an 'over-reaction' or a media hype.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I wonder how many people Johnson personally infected because he intentionally put himself at risk.

I wonder if any of them, or people they end up infecting, will die.