Boredom is the mind-killer.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Boredom is at the intellectual end of all things. We aren't afraid of death, we're afraid of the implied boredom of eternal nothingness. Yet isn't the promise of heaven the promise of boredom also? Yes, but it is also the promise of happiness, which cannot coexist with boredom.

What can hell be but eternal boredom?

Okay, it could also be Satan raping your urethra for a millenia or so, but that's just speculation.

On the other side of the coin we have people whose lives are TOO interesting. These people might welcome boredom. But it is not boredom they REALLY desire, anymore than I REALLY desire to live in a warzone. These are extremes. They simply want what I want: survival and deliverance from boredom, the two basic human imperatives. They want the former because they have the latter in abundance, and I want the latter because I have the former in abundance.

Hmm, writing this out was actually sort of therapeutic. I'm less bored now. Probably from imagining urethra rape.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Myspace is really not boring, or so I'm told. It's thataway ----->

I do agree with you on the promise of heaven equaling boredom, though. I can't imagine anything being enjoyable or entertaining enough that I'd want to do it for eternity.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: sandorski
Fear is the mind killer.

It's only Rape if you don't want it.

If rape is inevitable you should just sit back and enjoy it? Is that you Bobby Knight?

I have a feeling nobody with get this.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl

I do agree with you on the promise of heaven equaling boredom, though. I can't imagine anything being enjoyable or entertaining enough that I'd want to do it for eternity.

You can't imagine it because you haven't experienced it yet. Heaven is perfect, so how could it be boring?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Fear is the mind killer.

If rape is inevitable you should just sit back and enjoy it? Is that you Bobby Knight?

Rape isn't inevitable, because you must first not want it, for it to be "Rape". Sure, Satan may do all kinds of things to your orifices, but that doesn't mean It is going to be Rape.

Heaven/Hell is what you make it. Not that either actually exists, but that's another topic.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Adn4n
If you haven't experienced it yet, how can you say it's perfect?

+1. He's imagining it's perfect because he hasn't experienced it yet which he can't do because he hasn't... <neo>woah</neo>

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Fear is the mind killer.

April 25, 1988: During an NBC interview with Connie Chung on the subject of stress, Knight utters the now-infamous quote: "I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it." The remark triggers a protest march of about 300 people on the Indiana campus.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: coldmeat

You can't imagine it because you haven't experienced it yet. Heaven is perfect, so how could it be boring?

That's the paradox. But religion is nothing BUT paradoxes, so what else is new.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Originally posted by: coldmeat

That's the paradox. But religion is nothing BUT paradoxes, so what else is new.

Quit yer whining... come over here and play golf with me.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Holy crap, according to my E-mail, the "Superstars of Asian ladyboy scene" have "invited me [sic] to the backstage for some fun." Sweet, there goes my boredom problem. The lord works in mysterious ways.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Hrmm, not sure how to reply to this.

I do not have an over stimulated life, but many I know would be under stimulated by it or bored.

I pretty much do what I want to, when I want to, where I want to. But I usually just spend free time at home doing fairly mundane things, like reading or researching stuff on the internet, playing games, watching TV or movies, that sort of thing. Hardly boring, but many who are adrenaline junkies would not like my leisure time lifestyle. Of course, I am also aware how I will probably die, since I have health problems that will most likely kill me suddenly, and I am cool with that fact. Death is not a fear I have, at all. So boredom will not kill me, death will.

The promise of heaven or hell is just that, an empty promise. Anyone can choose to believe otherwise, but personally, I think I have some spiritual insight that allows me to see beyond what most people take for granted or are blind to experiencing. I think when you die you are given a choice to either be reborn here or else where in some physical state, which is heaven. Or you simply revert back to the empty nothingness over the course of eternity if you choose to or simply do not choose to return anywhere, ever. That would be hell.

Anyone who thinks that in the vastness of space, we are the only intelligent and self aware beings to dwell in it, are being a bit vain and selfish in that belief, and more than a little spiritually dense, too. Even on this tiny planet, we are not the only self aware beings on it. Humanity just chooses to generally ignore this fact, in favor of varied and unified belief systems that are easy to digest for the masses. Simple Gods and devils for simple minds.

I do not believe the issue is necessarily boredom equals intellectual death, but rather it is more of a defeatist mentality that is at the end of all things. Giving up hope of future redemption or salvation of the soul and becoming used to the idea that there is nothing left to strive for or become spiritually is at the end of all things. Hopelessness at never being lifted up from the eternal emptiness of silence, isolation or separation from others and the emptiness of the selfish self centered soul is hell.

Also, materialism can not fill the soul with joy, but it can temporarily mask the emptiness the souls might otherwise feel because of a lack of any spiritual insight. So my new Aquos 46 inch 1080p TV is a good panacea for boredom or a replacement for temporary spiritual emptiness, but it will not make any difference in my long term spiritual journey what so ever. But it sure helps with the boredom!

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
/wrist

Everyone feels the same way, it's not just you. But rather than bitching about it, try to do something about it.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Boredom is at the intellectual end of all things. We aren't afraid of death, we're afraid of the implied boredom of eternal nothingness. Yet isn't the promise of heaven the promise of boredom also? Yes, but it is also the promise of happiness, which cannot coexist with boredom.

What can hell be but eternal boredom?

Okay, it could also be Satan raping your urethra for a millenia or so, but that's just speculation.

On the other side of the coin we have people whose lives are TOO interesting. These people might welcome boredom. But it is not boredom they REALLY desire, anymore than I REALLY desire to live in a warzone. These are extremes. They simply want what I want: survival and deliverance from boredom, the two basic human imperatives. They want the former because they have the latter in abundance, and I want the latter because I have the former in abundance.

Hmm, writing this out was actually sort of therapeutic. I'm less bored now. Probably from imagining urethra rape.

if u r really that bored, then play russian roulette? or brain age2? or pick up a hobby that doesnt require that much physical streth (since your old) and master it? ie: chess/pool/poker/bullseye at 1000 yards with tripod on a dessert eagle .50?

heaven:
convert to some religion that offers 70virgins upon your death?

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: JEDI

if u r really that bored, then play russian roulette? or brain age2? or pick up a hobby that doesnt require that much physical streth (since your old) and master it? ie: chess/pool/poker/bullseye at 1000 yards with tripod on a dessert eagle .50?

heaven:
convert to some religion that offers 70virgins upon your death?

Those are SO tasty.

:p

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: SlickSnake
Hrmm, not sure how to reply to this.

I do not have an over stimulated life, but many I know would be under stimulated by it or bored.

I pretty much do what I want to, when I want to, where I want to. But I usually just spend free time at home doing fairly mundane things, like reading or researching stuff on the internet, playing games, watching TV or movies, that sort of thing. Hardly boring, but many who are adrenaline junkies would not like my leisure time lifestyle. Of course, I am also aware how I will probably die, since I have health problems that will most likely kill me suddenly, and I am cool with that fact. Death is not a fear I have, at all. So boredom will not kill me, death will.

The promise of heaven or hell is just that, an empty promise. Anyone can choose to believe otherwise, but personally, I think I have some spiritual insight that allows me to see beyond what most people take for granted or are blind to experiencing. I think when you die you are given a choice to either be reborn here or else where in some physical state, which is heaven. Or you simply revert back to the empty nothingness over the course of eternity if you choose to or simply do not choose to return anywhere, ever. That would be hell.

Anyone who thinks that in the vastness of space, we are the only intelligent and self aware beings to dwell in it, are being a bit vain and selfish in that belief, and more than a little spiritually dense, too. Even on this tiny planet, we are not the only self aware beings on it. Humanity just chooses to generally ignore this fact, in favor of varied and unified belief systems that are easy to digest for the masses. Simple Gods and devils for simple minds.

I do not believe the issue is necessarily boredom equals intellectual death, but rather it is more of a defeatist mentality that is at the end of all things. Giving up hope of future redemption or salvation of the soul and becoming used to the idea that there is nothing left to strive for or become spiritually is at the end of all things. Hopelessness at never being lifted up from the eternal emptiness of silence, isolation or separation from others and the emptiness of the selfish self centered soul is hell.

Also, materialism can not fill the soul with joy, but it can temporarily mask the emptiness the souls might otherwise feel because of a lack of any spiritual insight. So my new Aquos 46 inch 1080p TV is a good panacea for boredom or a replacement for temporary spiritual emptiness, but it will not make any difference in my long term spiritual journey what so ever. But it sure helps with the boredom!

Good points, especially the 5th paragraph. I'd like to comment on the bolded part in particular though. This statement is indicative of so much.

You are in control of your life. That is the single greatest bastion against boredom one can have.

Why do so many people dislike their jobs? Because they're bored. Why are they bored? Because they don't have any control. Even the most menial tasks can be intellectually stimulating if the worker has a vested interest in improving their performance, and this can only be achieved by allowing them some modicum of control.

Control is key. Even someone who lacks control at work has control of his personal life to look forward to. But, what about someone who has no control at work and no control of his personal life, for whatever reason? For example, someone stuck at a dead-end job who comes home to a domineering spouse and kids every day?

He retains his routine because of imperative #1: survival; specifically the economic survival of him and his family. He does this at the expense of imperative #2: deliverance from boredom, trading intellectual atrophy for physical survival.

Now, I don't want to fall into the trap of looking at this in too black and white a manner, but these are simply extreme examples. It's always possible to take control of one's life and to be happy with what you have. Indeed, the "boredom threshold" is different for everyone. I know people who are content with lives that I would go insane living for one week. I also know people who couldn't stand leading my boring-ass life for one day.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: UncleWai
/wrist

Everyone feels the same way, it's not just you. But rather than bitching about it, try to do something about it.

I did do something. I wrote a post, people replied, and that seemed to put things in perspective. Besides, I find the thought of boredom as a tangible threat rather than a transient inconvenience fascinating.

I'm not trying to justify my post BTW, I know I sound like an emo bitch. I'm never going to meet any you IRL though, so I'm comfortable with that.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
There's so much I want to say in response to this, but apathy due to an observance of overall futility and relativity are preventing me.