Bored as Hell. Any good games any can recommend on steam?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
sacred is on sale on steam and I just bought it based on the thread in this fourm about it.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
You cannot go wrong with Batman: Arkham Asylum. I played the console version and it gets a solid 9/10, if not a little better. Great production values, fun combat, it feels like Batman vs. the traditional movie ripoff game.

Also, if you're not hooked on Steam you might grab League of Legends. It's free to play and is a ton of fun (if you're into DotA style games).

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
yeah, I bypassed it, somehow.

form the caps I've seen, it looks to be very similar in style (quality of graphics, anyway), and being an 3rdP/FPS?/RPG from the biggest JRPG developer out there, I assume that it resides somewhere in that golden time when action met real RPG elements--now forever forgotten.

that's what I like about KotOR, but again..the combat can be so damn frustrating; withstanding the fact that your teammates can be utter idiots all the time--agroing everything on scree, blaster man running up in to the face of something to pew pew away, subsequently die from blade to the body cavity. man....we complain today about games getting released too soon.

hehe.
In case you missed this in the initial tutorial or PDF manual, there is a "ranged" setting for characters, make sure Carth (and other ranged) is set that way. Also, both you and he should be taking the dual-wielding feats (but get all 3 before using it).

And: the melee mastery feats don't apply to lightsabers so don't take them. The special attacks do apply to both (flurry is the best of them).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
In case you missed this in the initial tutorial or PDF manual, there is a "ranged" setting for characters, make sure Carth (and other ranged) is set that way. Also, both you and he should be taking the dual-wielding feats (but get all 3 before using it).

And: the melee mastery feats don't apply to lightsabers so don't take them. The special attacks do apply to both (flurry is the best of them).

yeah, I sort of ignored those scripts b/c they seemed rather simple--it sounded like they would be sitting out of range and lobbing grenades at me the whole time. It's been several years since I played through, so I'll give is a shot.

I forgot that lightsabers were unbalanced. My vibrosword is still better in the offhand--though I suppose you can lose those penalties with crystals, or there is a better lightsaber--or I suppose that is the dual-wield mastery.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Bullet Storm is funny.... first person shooter kinda like crysis, except game is based off combo's or environmental exploits... basically trying to throw or kick something then blow it up so you get AoE. - 8/10

Front Mission Evolved... i bought on sale... its a robot first person shooter.
Its short... its a small time killer... not worth the full price, but sale price it was a amusing buy. 7/10

RobertPters77

Feb 11, 2011
Well I just bought Batman AA. Will not work because of PhysX errors. Wtf?

I have most games recommended in this thread already though. Any more ideas?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
If you have a game that uses the Valve Source engine, you can download Fortress-Forever for free.

Portal 2 is about to be released.

If you have some friends to play with, take a look at left 4 dead 2.

Borderlands is fun, but its best with a friend.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Boshock 1 was great, 2 was pretty weak IMHO.

Definitely not as good, but I still enjoyed it. I didn't like how 2 was divided into sections that you could go back to. It really took away the flow of how Rapture was put together and didn't really make me feel like I was in a unique underwater city anymore.

And even though I never really had a problem with them, I didn't care for the protect the little sister parts. Though they did grow on me a bit over time as my arsenal improved, I just didn't find them entertaining.

Anneka

Jan 28, 2011
maybe you liked the 1st one more than the 2nd because it was something you didn't see before. I loved them both.
I am pretty curious to see how the 3d one Infinity would look. From the videos the passing from water to sky will benefit the gameplay.

SolidSnake42

Feb 9, 2010
Read an article in which they announced Torchlight 2. Hope it would be fun and enjoyable as the 1st one was

I have read an article a long time ago. It will out at the minimum by summer and will have multiplayer. Being old and with a sequel coming out doesn't mean it's not a good game or any less fun. Bioshock 2 definitely was no where near Bioshock 1.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Dead Space Two is down to 39.99. If you wait a few more months I'm sure you will catch a good 15-25% off its current price.

I would put Dead Space about 8.5. Good cinamatics, flow, and gameplay. The only thing that its lacking is some RPG elements, or some different story routes to help its replay value.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
Time wasters
Plants vs. Zombies 9/10
Super Meatboy 8/10 (hard)
Defense Grid 8/10
Everyday Shooter 7/10
Revenge of the Titans 7/10
World of Goo 7/10
Greed Corp 6/10
Gratuitous Space Battles 6/10

Shooters
Just Cause 2 9/10
Borderlands 9/10 (if you have a friend to play with)
Max Payne 9/10
Left 4 Dead 2 8/10 (if you have a friend to play with)
Max Payne 2 8/10

RPG
Mass Effect 2 9/10
DA: O 8/10
Fallout: New Vegas 8/10
Rift 8/10
Torchlight 7/10
HoMM V 7/10
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum 7/10
Mount & Blade 6/10

Strategy
Shogun 2: TW 10/10
Company of Heroes 9/10
Civilization V 8/10
World in Conflict 8/10

Other
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin 9/10
Thief: Deadly Shadows 9/10
Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition 7/10
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale 7/10
Indigo Prophecy 7/10
Machinarium 6/10

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
just saying
- only if you have a high end system , you could try the 3 X STALKERS [with the COMPLETE MOD for looks\eye candy]- could be looking at a few hundred hours of game play if you get into them . [like the FALLOUT's]-but even more open.
-STALKER COP with the COMPLETE MOD beats up my 570 sli.@1920x1200 -eats up vram.1100-1280 mbs] ,

Karstein

Mar 31, 2011
If you ever played & enjoyed Sopwith, Triplane Turmoil et al, you should really give Altitude a go. Probably the best $10 I've spent on Steam.

Unfortunately, I haven't played it in a while and I have a sinking suspicion that not that many people play it online any more (I started playing around the time when they had a free weekend) so there's a caveat for you. But hey, it's 10 bucks.

Gets a solid 8/10 for fun from me, but probably less if the above about multiplayer is true.

Last edited: