Borderlands -The most outstanding weapons setup I have ever seen in PC gaming.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
I started playing Borderlands when It first hit the market and quit after losing my savegame when I was a mere lvl 8.
Started again last week after installing The Zombie Island of Dr Ned and played so far to lvl19 and I must say I am absolutely chuffed at the weapons/weapon system in this game.
Sooo many weapons I have a difficult time time deciding which ones to keep. I cheated and upped my carrying capacity to 20 and STILL I'm constantly having to sell or leave behind unique and badass guns. On top of this my friends who play are always telling me about weapons I've never heard of and might never see because of the unique weapons creator.
I've probably seen well over 100 weapons to date and again I'm only lvl 19!
The cherry on the cake is that as an rpg the game weapons play a lot more like a good accurate shooter than Fallout 3(A great game in its own right).
I really hope game creators take a note from the book that is borderlands.
I will never again be content with a system that limits me to a dozen, or even a few dozen weapons.

Simply cannot wait to find Dr Neds island and start killing Zombies.
icon14.gif

Last edited:

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Almost all the weapons found during your travels are complete and utter garbage. You should know first of all what 2 weapons (what one weapon, really) your class does best with and stick to it. That cuts down 90% of the weapons you find and puts them into the "for sale" category.

Second, determining which weapon is best is freakin easy. The gun you pick up is either better or it's not. There's not really a trade off of this for that (like x3 explosive damage but a lot less dps).

Even two guns with the same DPS but are 2 or 3 levels apart will be pretty different. Always choose the higher level weapon unless the lower level weapon has a significant advantage.

The only good thing about Borderlands' weapon drop system is that it has a wide variety. That being said, the vast majority of them will be crap.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Second, determining which weapon is best is freakin easy. The gun you pick up is either better or it's not. There's not really a trade off of this for that (like x3 explosive damage but a lot less dps).

Umm... no? I'm always finding guns that I find to be quite situational (i.e. all of the elemental guns, or "300 damage with 3 round clip or 200 damage with 7 round clip?" or "this gun has amazing stats but no crosshair/zoom?!!") As a pack rat, I keep finding myself with a backpack of 8 or 10 guns with a capacity of 18, then having to run back to the shop to sell some and walk all the way back. Even the weapon types are situational - as Mordecai, his snipers and pistols are awesome, but fairly useless in a boss fight. Assault rifles are good for all-around travelling, and shotguns are great for destroying bosses up close and personal.

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
in my past 3 games, I've had people come into my game, and drop tons of end game weapons. Weapons that would take ages to find otherwise. It was kinda cool, and despite the awesome weapons, the game is still decently challenging. I can't keep all the weapons I want and I have 41 storage spots right now.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Almost all the weapons found during your travels are complete and utter garbage. You should know first of all what 2 weapons (what one weapon, really) your class does best with and stick to it. That cuts down 90% of the weapons you find and puts them into the "for sale" category.

Even two guns with the same DPS but are 2 or 3 levels apart will be pretty different. Always choose the higher level weapon unless the lower level weapon has a significant advantage.

The only good thing about Borderlands' weapon drop system is that it has a wide variety. That being said, the vast majority of them will be crap.

I don't think that's a very unbiased review. lol...

I'm a sniper/scout and find that all weapons are equally powerful. It just completely depends on your foe and the situation.
I find myself using the repeater pistols frequently as they are highly effective especially with a scope. Shotguns are deadly at close range as they should be and smg's and machine guns are excellent for dumping large amounts of ammo.
I use weapons ranging from level 12-19 just depending on what I need.

Also needless to say that because it's an RPG the more you use a weapon the more you become proficient with it.
Maybe you should play past level3 to give a more unbiased review.
I know a few people who got frustrated because at lvl6 they could not defeat a lvl9 bonehead.
icon10.gif

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
It doesn't matter how much you use a weapon type if that weapon type is not meant for your class. The progression will be slow and you won't get much of a bonus for levelling it up. Certain classes are specifically geared for certain weapon types. You get bonuses with them, learn them MUCH MUCH faster, have feats spent each level toward their use, etc.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
For a game that claims millions of guns, I was disappointed that they're pretty much all your standard shotguns, pistols, assault rifles, etc.. They should have got more creative and added some more variety to the random generator.