Bootup "Printer Error" on Epson Workforce 630

ArtShapiro

May 6, 2011
A friend has the above-named unit; it's one of those typical budget fax/copy/scan/print inkjet units.

A sporadic problem has become consistent: the unit will not boot, with the less-than-helpful message "Printer Error" in the display panel.

Does anyone have an inkling how one can get a more-specific error diagnostic out of the unit, or even what failure modes are typical of the 630? I haven't been able to dig up a service manual on the web.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I have found that most printer errors or communication failures can be fixed by going in to CP, Devices and Printers and REMOVING that printer from the system.

Then, turn the printer OFF - wait a few minutes and turn it back on. Then go BACK TO THE cp, d&p, back to the CP, D&P, and ADD PRINTER. The system should then "see" your printer. Select it and let it be reinstalled. IF it cames with a disk of drivers, use it. It should then reinstall the printer. IF not, you most likely have a defective unit or are using the wrong drivers. .

ArtShapiro

May 6, 2011
I have found that most printer errors or communication failures can be fixed by going in to CP, Devices and Printers and REMOVING that printer from the system.
Thanks as always. I have to believe that this failure is being reported on the printer before Windows ever gets hold of it - it never goes Ready; it's still in the process of coming up. If you really think that's the issue, I can simply have the very untechnical owner, to whom a "driver" is the operator of a car, unplug the USB cable temporarily - right?