Question [BootSequence] Retailers HOARDING GPUs for themselves!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

Watch first part of this video.
I have been saying for months that DIY is not just last in line, but conspicuously last in line. Why let unobtainium go by itself, when you can force buyers to take the offal along with it? ;) Note how many prebuilts minus GPU are listed on Ebay. The cards go straight to the mines, the rest goes straight to Ebay. With the pricing on most of them, and that they often have no iGPU, the sellers are full on derping. I hope they sit there, week after week, being re-listed. Bunch of greedy Ferengi.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Is there a non-video version of this?
TL;DW

There is evidence retailers are allocating the vast majority of the GPUs they are shipped, for their own S.I. PCs. Newegg and Canuckistan Computers are cited. Canada Computers is called out for it in particular, as that is where the whistle blower works. Meanwhile, they are leaving customers that committed to full pre-paid orders waiting and waiting for months now, as cards sit in stock waiting for a PC order, to be used.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
TL;DW

There is evidence retailers are allocating the vast majority of the GPUs they are shipped, for their own S.I. PCs. Newegg and Canuckistan Computers are cited. Canada Computers is called out for it in particular, as that is where the whistle blower works. Meanwhile, they are leaving customers that committed to full pre-paid orders waiting and waiting for months now, as cards sit in stock waiting for a PC order, to be used.

I know of 2 Online Retailers/SI's in the UK that have stocks of GPU's meant for retail being held for SI use, at least as far as I can find out they never took pre-orders for them like Canada Computers.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Not only would I be pissed I'd DEMAND thet return my $$, to have these crooks tie up $2,500 while they use the cards for their own pre-built is plain criminal.

Reactions: Ranulf

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
For a long time Newegg was regarded as a deceit retailer.

Now, they are just another Amazon. Although, since in this case they are doing the scum first hand, perhaps a bit worse in this aspect.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
TL;DW

This is actually very normal, we do the same here in Argentina. we dont longer sell GPUs individually. But we dont have a list of paid pre-orders waiting... And the reason for this is that you actually need to sell full PCs, and AMD and Intel are at fault for this, they should have NEVER released consumer cpus to DIY without a IGP, now everyone it is in a position where AMD APUs not longer exists and Intel cpus with igp are starting to run out as well... there is no much you can do... well yes... GT710 for everyone.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Not only would I be pissed I'd DEMAND thet return my $$, to have these crooks tie up $2,500 while they use the cards for their own pre-built is plain criminal.

I though that most wouldn't charge the full amount until the product actually shipped. Frankly, I'd still be pissed either way.

For a long time Newegg was regarded as a deceit retailer.

I'm assuming you meant "decent" but I could see it either way honestly.

• Haha
Reactions: Leeea and blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I though that most wouldn't charge the full amount until the product actually shipped. Frankly, I'd still be pissed either way.

I'm assuming you meant "decent" but I could see it either way honestly.

But there is another Shuffle today! Which means I can decide which piece of offal I want with my 2x launch MSRP card!!!

I did "win" the right purchase a $1249 6800xt last week - with a $150 Asrock B550 mATX board - but it was like $1530 after tax and I just couldn't make myself do it after just having built multiple PCs with new boards and having just bought a the 6800... and, you know, opening it. It's like a pack of baseball cards at that point :p

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
But there is another Shuffle today! Which means I can decide which piece of offal I want with my 2x launch MSRP card!!!

I did "win" the right purchase a $1249 6800xt last week - with a $150 Asrock B550 mATX board - but it was like $1530 after tax and I just couldn't make myself do it after just having built multiple PCs with new boards and having just bought a the 6800... and, you know, opening it. It's like a pack of baseball cards at that point :p
That's what irks me about the shuffle, the bundling. I appreciate the thought behind it but if we are buying from a retailer like NewEgg there is an extreme likelyhood of us already having the other parts with a decent chance they were FROM NewEgg also. Like "Geee, I sure do appreciate you allowing me the opportunity to buy this 5950X, I guess I should throw out my X570 ASRock Aqua and replace it with this B550 board you are forcing me to purchase with the 5950X." Or "Thanks for the chance to purchase this 3080, I guess I should throw my 1600 watt psu in the garbage and replace it with the 850 watt unit you think I need". "I guess I should rip out my way over the top custom watercooling so I can replace it with this awesome Corsair AIO unit you want me to buy for some reason."

Reactions: Leeea

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Honestly I wouldn't mind buying a bundle if it included both a new GPU and new CPU. I'd probably eat the crap motherboard or PSU that gets tacked on because that can probably be resold without too much hassle. Or better yet, let me buy an expensive high-quality board and power supply and it'll just be a completely new build. I just hate when it's used as a way to unload crap that they can't sell on its own instead of something that a person might actually want.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Honestly I wouldn't mind buying a bundle if it included both a new GPU and new CPU. I'd probably eat the crap motherboard or PSU that gets tacked on because that can probably be resold without too much hassle. Or better yet, let me buy an expensive high-quality board and power supply and it'll just be a completely new build. I just hate when it's used as a way to unload crap that they can't sell on its own instead of something that a person might actually want.

- In the bay area, we have a small time chain called Central Computers that will sell their cards at standard retail mark-up, but only if you build an entire PC from scratch with them. Not just a mobo/cpu/ram combo, but the whole damn thing.

Its not a bad deal for folks who are just getting into the PC building game, but for people like me who might need a core upgrade but not much else, it can be a bit of a drag.

I'm sure you could really min/max them and go dirt cheap on all the components you don't want and probably still come out ahead, but then again I'm still not in a big rush to upgrade.

Edit: looks like they've made some changes since the last time I looked. Their cards are definitely more marked up than they were the last time I looked, but they've also opened up non-bundled stand alone card sales as well. Bundling also includes only a couple additional items, not the whole build. Maybe they were too aggressive up front and ended up sitting on golden inventory instead of moving additional parts. Dunno.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
eVGA did this last gen when we had that mining craze.
They would bundle limited amounts of 1080 with PSU's or Motherboards and sell them that way.

I honestly don't see a gap in this for a while.
Even after GPU's start tricking back slowly, we are gonna run into problems with memory and disk next.

Im gona call it, the only thing left on shelves for us soon will be RGB fans.

• Wow

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
They would bundle limited amounts of 1080 with PSU's or Motherboards and sell them that way.

Even after GPU's start tricking back slowly, we are gonna run into problems with memory and disk next.

Memory has been creeping up and SK Hynix already said there was "higher than expected demand" for their memory products. The most interesting thing out of the EMEA Intel Pipeline story on Anandtech front page was referencing to the substrate material shortage that Intel seemed to indicate would peak in May. Well, it's May now and it seems to take a couple month for this to really trickle down so I'd expect it to get tighter quickly here.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
It is almost heading that way. <shocked face> I watched an LTT video about the Ryzen 4 series APUs. You have to buy a combo to get one. The most shocking part is that most of the coolers you can upgrade to with the bundle are heavily backordered. And some have no estimated arrival date from their supplier. Crazy times, when there is a chicken wing AND GPU shortage! :eek:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Most of the GPU bundles are pretty awful. Although, I did see an article stating that you have a 0.001% chance to win the Newegg Shuffle, so you should consider yourself lucky. :p Anyway, I have no qualms with the EVGA bundles. It helps that their cards are already the cheapest of all AIBs, and while I don't need a PSU, at least it isn't being bundled with a $600 motherboard or a $500 monitor... or one of Gigabyte's fire-inducing PSUs.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
It is almost heading that way. <shocked face> I watched an LTT video about the Ryzen 4 series APUs. You have to buy a combo to get one. The most shocking part is that most of the coolers you can upgrade to with the bundle are heavily backordered. And some have no estimated arrival date from their supplier. Crazy times, when there is a chicken wing AND GPU shortage! :eek:
We FINALLY got some wings shipped to us this week, they're almost $4/lb though. In the meantime we are selling the snot out of frozen prepared chicken products, no one wants to be left "out", specially with good resturant traffic these days so defiantly some hoarding going on.

gk1951

Jul 7, 2019

LOVE IT! I have so many non rgb fans (mostly radiator fans) I could care less.

Sad that DYI computer building has come to this point.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
LOVE IT! I have so many non rgb fans (mostly radiator fans) I could care less.

Sad that DYI computer building has come to this point.

Nah, it's just getting even more DYI. Now you just need to fab your own chips as well!

Kidding aside, how awesome would it be if there were an Easy Bake Oven except for computer chips? I'd have loved having something like that as a kid. Hell, I'd love having something like that now!