Bootable Flash Drive Question

kilmanjaro

Jun 16, 2001
I'm looking to boot up the computers I support through a USB flash drive (that's problem number one). One of the reasons I would like to do this is so that I can boot into Symantec Ghost Client (to join a uni/multicast). The problem is that I support a few different makes of PC's. Therefore, I would need to either load multiple NIC drivers or be prompted when booting as to which NIC driver to load. One thought that occured to me would be to partition the flash drive so each partition would load a different NIC driver if selected to boot from.

Anyhow, does anyone have any experience with anything like this that I could apply here? Thanks!

kilmanjaro

Jun 16, 2001
Thanks, I had just found that utility from HP but I'm curious as to my other problem of getting different NIC drivers to load.

kilmanjaro

Jun 16, 2001
I'm trying to boot into Symantec Ghost console client that is normally booted off of floppies. You have to create a seperate set of floppies for each type of NIC you have with different NIC drivers. Loading them into XP wouldn't really solve my problem.

kilmanjaro

Jun 16, 2001
I think I've found the solution to my problem here: http://help.ischool.washington.edu/faqs/12_29_en.html

It uses a CD instead of my flash drive but I think that's about as close as I'm going to get. It accomplishes my main problem of having to keep multiple sets of Ghost boot disks by allowing me to keep only one boot disk (CD). As far as bootable flash drives, I was able to get mine to work using the HP utility for formatting their flash drives, but I don't have the link here with me right now.