boot to bios, cmos battery?

tommyfats

Feb 25, 2011
Hey just recently I've started to recieve this little problem.

Everytime I restart my computer it boots straight to the bios set up, it still maintains the correct time and settings, but on every reboot it goes directly to the bios set up. IF I press tab (to go to post screen) during the boot everything boots up into windows xp normally and everything seems fine, untill I reboot again and it goes straight to Bios, unless I press tab.

I heard that this can sometimes happen when the Cmos battery is in its death throes, but I have no resetting of any settings or anything like that.

the battery would be about 4 years old, maybe a lil less. Is there anything else that would cause this to occur? or is it a safe bet that I need to replace the battery?

pete1229

Feb 12, 2011
Thats probably all it is the battery is going, it can't hurt just to replace it with a fresh one to see if the problem goes away and also make sure that nothing has come in contact with the cmos re-set pins on your mobo and that the jumper is still in the right place.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm having this same problem with a machine I'm working on for a friend. I've found that powering it down completely, using the power switch or pulling the plug, resets it to boot correctly. FWIW, the motherboard is an Intel D925XECV2.

Based on replies int this thread, I may try another battery, but I don't have much hope that it will work. I'll reply again if that solves the problem.