Boot problems, no beep

Django

Nov 23, 1999
Hi,

I don't get the usual beep at start up, I checked the speaker connections and they seem fine. When I turn the comp on, the HD starts spinning away, I get the light from the CDROM, but not from floppy, then no beep and it just stays like that forever. I removed every non essential part like soundcard etc and reseated the cpu and every other peripheral. Any suggestions on what to do next or what the problems is?

tia

system is an old one:

K6-233
Gigabyte GA-TX3
200w AT ps
64 meg sdram
2.1gb hd
4 meg Tseng6000

TheNeck

Sep 12, 2000
here you go i got this from this link
Abit KT7 Faq Page

When I try to boot my motherboard beeps at me. What does this mean?
There are basically four types of beep code you may experience:

No beep at all - this means your motherboard is dead, either due to a defective or underpowered power supply, poorly seated CPU or RAM, or a dead-on-arrival board
One beep - board is working fine
Beeeeeep-beep-beep - this means no video card detected (or poorly seated video card)
Rapid stream of beeps - this means a key is stuck on your keyboard, it is not properly plugged in, or the keyboard is incompatible in some way
The AWARD BIOS offers no other codes - any other error messages are displayed on the screen.

The_Duck

Mar 19, 2000
If the board ever worked b4 then instead of assuming it dead why don't you pull it out and place it on a non-conductive material and try starting it like that. I know it sounds odd but in some cases if you screw the board down too hard or a screw is off center then you can short the board and get nothing at boot up. Or it could be dead.

MrCookie

Apr 27, 2000
I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be an incompatible video card.

The mobo I was using was older, and it's bios didn't support the vid cards pci version...

The board ran fine with a 1 meg ISA card, I tried to upgrade to a viper 330, with no luck (no post, no beep, seemed like it would start fine, but then absolutely nothing), but than installed a 2 meg Matrox Millenium and it works great.:)