Question Boot Loop - But remains on with battery removed

mwforrest7

Aug 18, 2011
Hey all,

I've got a peculiar boot loop issue: If I remove all components and just run the system with motherboard, CPU, and PSU I've only successfully managed to get the boot looping to stop if I remove the battery and clear the CMOS. If I put the battery back in it starts to loop again.

Also, even with the battery removed and the system remaining on, nothing loads. I've been able to add back in components (SSD, GPU, a stick of RAM) and get the system to remain powered up by having the MOBO battery removed, but still nothing loads.

What would having the battery added back into the motherboard be doing that would cause it to keep looping? Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
So, just to make sure I understand, you can never even get into the BIOS? What happened to put the machine in this state (i.e. did it just quit working, or were you trying to do something like updating the BIOS, etc)?

It sounds like the motherboard might be dead. I presume you've checked it over closely for swelled or burst capacitors? Also, have you tried the board with another power supply?

mwforrest7

Aug 18, 2011
Yea, can't get any input out to the monitor regardless of whether its plugged into GPU or mobo. Also tried hdmi, display port, and dvi-d connections. So as far as I can tell, it's not booting to BIOS. I've got two different monitors I tried.

I can't say for sure what happened to put it into this state as I was working via my laptop and not actually using my PC but my hunch is that the dog hit the power button, possibly while the PC was coming out of sleep, causing it to improperly shut down in a weird state.

I don't see any visual anomalies on the board. I don't have another PSU on hand to try out but given that it keeps everything powered up with the mobo battery removed would the PSU really be suspect? Its very strange to me that it stays on with the battery removed, but not with it in place. I'm thinking you're probably right, that the mobo died on me :grimacing:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Personally, I'd want to test the PSU before I hooked it up to any new or replacement equipment. However, in this case, I also feel that the board is likely dead.

If you want to try to salvage the rest of the build you can probably pick up a refurb LGA 1155 board on eBay for $50-$60. However, you might run into Windows activation issues if you are running a non-retail Windows license.

mwforrest7

Aug 18, 2011
I gotcha that makes sense. Well, this is a bummer but on the bright side I was actually planning to put together a new build later this year with the new Amperes and new Ryzens coming out. This build was definitely showing its age in modern games. It just pooped out a couple months too early unfortunately. I've got access to a budget gaming laptop so I may just try to be patient and go straight for the new build rather than patch this machine up. Thank you for all your input on this, I think I'm just going to presume this old rig dead.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
MB might be dead? I've gotten Gigabyte MB's out of boot loop coma mode by resetting the cmos during the boot loop. I just jumped the cmos reset until the rig shutdown and rebooted....Worth a try.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Likely a motherboard issue, though it could be the PSU. Have you tested your PSU?