Boot laptop with external cd-rom support

quadcells

Jul 18, 2000
Hi,
I asked this question over in the Apps forum with no response, so I'll try here.
Like the subject title reads... I have a IBM 560 PI 133MHz laptop with 40meg of ram. external floppy. I also have a PCMCIA SCSI card that has a SCSI cd-rom. I'm trying to get either WIN95 or WIN 989 on this computer. It is running 3.1 now.
My question is: What to I need to add to the boot disk so I can have SCSI cd-rom support?
TIA

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
In your config.sys file you need to add a DOS driver for your PCMCIA controller and a DOS driver for the CD drive. In your autoexec.bat file you need to add mscdex.exe with the parameters appropriate for the CD drive you are using.

IBM should have the drivers for the PCMCIA on their web site. Every version of DOS and windows comes with mscdex.exe. You'll have to get the CD drivers from the company that made it.

quadcells

Jul 18, 2000
Thanks,
It seems that the PCMCIA card and CD-ROM are from Dell and Dell seems to have no info on the web about this CD-ROM drive.
Still looking.

quadcells

Jul 18, 2000
One more question:
If I could get my hands on a different PCMCIA to SCSI card with drivers, would it work with the SCSI cd-rom?

GregMal

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but you're primary objective is
to get Win9* on the laptop, isn't it? And your laptop is working
now with Win 3.1 and the external CD-ROM???
Boot up your laptop into Win 3.1 with the external CD-ROM working.
Create a new directory on the harddrive (call it W95setup).
Copy the all of the files from the win95 directory on the CD to the
c:\W95setup directory in the harddrive of your laptop.
Now you can install the OS directly from the harddrive (c:\W95setup\setup.exe).
Once it's installed you can figure out the correct Win95 SCSI drivers for CD-ROM.
Greg

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
I don't think he has the CD working with Win 3.1.

quadcells, did you try a search on Google with the model number or any other visible information of the PCMCIA card?

quadcells

Jul 18, 2000
GregMal;
WIN3.1 works, but I do not have the PCMCIA to SCSI working and my cd-rom is SCSI.
I was hoping to some how to get the cab files onto the laptop so I could install that OS.

Workin';
No I didn't and I will try now.

Thanks everyone.
I'll get back

quadcells

Jul 18, 2000
Thanks All for your help. It's done
Here is what I did.
I found someone with a notebook computer running WIN95 and pluged in the PCMCIA SCSI card in it. Since WIN95 & WIN98 have support for PCMCIA cards it found the card and installed the drivers and changed the autoexec.bat & config.sys files. I just copied the line changes and files onto my WIN95 Boot disk. I was able to boot my IBM with CD-ROM supoort. Then copied the WIN98SE folder to the "D" partition and installed WIN98SE (not WIN95) from the "D" drive.
All done, thanks again
-quadcells