Boot Issue after OC

nekromantik

Apr 6, 2009
Hey
I have OCed my Q6600 to 3ghz on 1.331vcore. Only other voltages I have changed is RAM to 1.9v, My system passed 10 hours Prime95 and an hour of OCCT Linpack so I would think its stable. My temps at idle are around 24C which is also ok. Only issue is when I do a cold boot, the system will power on, fans will go on and power light will switch on but then after a sec it would all turn off and then back on again and boot into windows without problems. I got a Gigabyte UD3R mobo so if my OC caused the system to not POST then next time I go into the BIOS I would get a warning. I went into BIOS after it has done that and got no warning.

I am not sure what to do, should I increase MCH voltage?
Or could it be my RAM?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: nekromantik
Hey
I have OCed my Q6600 to 3ghz on 1.331vcore. Only other voltages I have changed is RAM to 1.9v, My system passed 10 hours Prime95 and an hour of OCCT Linpack so I would think its stable. My temps at idle are around 24C which is also ok. Only issue is when I do a cold boot, the system will power on, fans will go on and power light will switch on but then after a sec it would all turn off and then back on again and boot into windows without problems. I got a Gigabyte UD3R mobo so if my OC caused the system to not POST then next time I go into the BIOS I would get a warning. I went into BIOS after it has done that and got no warning.

I am not sure what to do, should I increase MCH voltage?
Or could it be my RAM?

I have one of those UD3R boards (P45 chipset/GA-EP45-UD3R), and there are not so stale posts here and at other forums (like "Motherboards") where I've gone through all sorts of trouble with it. But I'd tried socketing an E6600 CPU (Conroe), and either the CPU had somehow gone "defective," or the setup is a tad tricky due to fact that BIOS shipped with the board (probably) favors Penryn (Wolfie or Yorkie) CPUs.

I am URGING OTHERS to answer your question, and I'm on pins and needles, chomping at the bit to see what THEY say.

That board -- in certain configurations -- has been given rave reviews and notice. But we've discovered that it can be a bit "temperamental."

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
My MSI does the same thing sometimes. I added a shade more ram voltage and it stopped, or I just press reset and it boots right up. I stopped messing with it trying to isolate the cause.

nekromantik

Apr 6, 2009
I tried putting RAM to 2.0v and still same issue after cold boots.
If I restart the system then it boots normally.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
As I stated, my MSI does the same exact thing. Sometimes it hangs on a cold boot but a simple reset button press and it fires right up. The increase in DRAM voltage solved it for a short time. I never spent much time trying to isolate the exact cause, but I still suspect it's a ram timing or voltage issue.