Books to read before I die?

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
I got out of HS around 2 years ago, so I did get to read the usual Shakespeare works. I'm currently reading 1984 and I'm about to get Of Mice and Men. If you have a book to recommend, do so here please.

So far on my list I have (going to read):

A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)
The Prince (Machiavelli)
Common Sense (Paine)
Les Miserables (Hugo)
The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoevsky)
Origin of Species (Darwin)
Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck)

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Originally posted by: Aflac
harry potter

Read 'em. I think Harry Potter and LOTR are the only books I've read by choice (before 1984 [the book, not the year)).

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
On a serious note, Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers (preferably unabridged). Excellent literature.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Or if you can recommend a good book on Physics or Chemistry, that would be cool too. Just not something like some Einstein work that would brainfvck me. I'm open to almost anything.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
The Dark Tower series by King. If you've read some of this other books, mainly the Stand, it's just one huge story, the best one I've ever read.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Originally posted by: Aflac
On a serious note, Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers (preferably unabridged). Excellent literature.

Ah yeah, I forgot to list Counte of Monte Cristo.... that's also on my list. What's with this abridged stuff?

Oct 25, 2006
Not to be condescending, but aren't these all required HS reading books? Hell, I read 1984 in the 8th grade, LOTR in the 6th, and The Prince in the 10th.

This is a reading list that all graduating seniors should have read..

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The Tibetan Book of the Dead

- The way Tibetan Buddhism works just reading it can get you drop kicked off the wheel of reincarnation and into Nirvana; an easy base to cover. Besides it's a pretty kick-ass book, lots of blood sucking, brain eating demons and none of the boring begat tree filler used in other scripture brands.

Woosta

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2008
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
Not to be condescending, but aren't these all required HS reading books? Hell, I read 1984 in the 8th grade, LOTR in the 6th, and The Prince in the 10th.

Maybe AP students... but I was a procrastinator. And did you read full books? Or just portions of them in a big ass English book?

flunky nassau

Feb 17, 2007
Autobiography of Malcolm X
Confessions of Saint Augustine

...man, when i actually have guilt-free time to read a book, that'll be the day...

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
I didn't care for a tale of two cities or catch 22
Doesn't mean I wouldn't read them, just that I enjoyed David Copperfield and The War Lover more

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000

my high school sucked and i cant even remember reading anything other than the scarlett letter and the old man and the sea.

they both sucked.

1984, brave new world, stranger in a strange land, art of war, cosmos, hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita.
Marcus Aurelius' Meditations
Kurt Vonnegut's Sirens of Titan

edit: a good biography of Otto von Bismarck is useful in understanding the forces that drove 20th century Europe.

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: Woosta

Maybe AP students... but I was a procrastinator. And did you read full books? Or just portions of them in a big ass English book?

Read the Full books. I'm not in AP English either, just normal English. They're not exactly long reads.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: Woosta

Read the Full books. I'm not in AP English either, just normal English. They're not exactly long reads.

Haha, all graduating seniors should have read LOTR? Please, the writing is par for the course, and the story isn't exactly profound. You read it if you're into it, it's not required reading by any stretch of the imagination.

• Haha
Reactions: shortylickens