Booker has left the building

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Cory Booker has announced he's suspended his campaign.
Writing has been on the wall for a while.

I'm sure we'll get a lot of media commentary on "loss of diversity" from the field, but IMO, he never really put a rationale or theme behind his campaign. Instead it was mostly personality driven, and while he's a nice enough guy (maybe too nice) it simply wasn't strong out memorable enough to attract attention.

Overall I'm happy the pond is shrinking and leaving leaving the also rans high and dry.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
He got a big bump in popularity fighting some injustice I can't really remember (maybe something hurricane-related?) but then promptly killed any possibility of ever being elected president when he voted against Bernie's pharma bill. No freaking way you get elected as a Democrat when the number one issue with most Americans is health care costs and you vote with the people directly screwing us all.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Cory Who?

That was one of the biggest things that was killing his campaign...very few people really knew anything about him.

Reactions: Bitek

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Meh, he seemed to be the kind of candidate who talks the talk on progressive issues and has a decent enough track record on social justice, but who’d let the big banks and big pharma walk all over policy initiatives affecting them.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I like Booker, but I'm getting tired of headlines like

The announcement after he failed to qualify for Tuesday's debate marks another departure of another high-profile black candidate from the race

So our last dem POTUS was black, but this time probably not. Are we on a quota system now? Why were the white candidates grilled at the last debate over why there was "only one person of color on stage?" Was it somehow their fault that they needed to explain?

This is something the media likes to do, always run with the race narrative. Good to see I'm not the only one who gets tired of it. Candidates stand on their own merit and the fact Obama was elected was proof that the electorate is not against people of color. We also have people of color in congress...more proof.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

The announcement after he failed to qualify for Tuesday's debate marks another departure of another high-profile black candidate from the race

So our last dem POTUS was black, but this time probably not. Are we on a quota system now? Why were the white candidates grilled at the last debate over why there was "only one person of color on stage?" Was it somehow their fault that they needed to explain?
One could argue that given there's a handful of sections of that story that reference race/racism, that including 'black' in the title wasn't done solely in a vacuum. Having said that, I agree that it's unnecessary to include in this case.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Yeah, some guy that had no legit business being there in the first place now leaving in the second place?
And this matters how?

Frankly, we should expect a few more to exit the race in the same manner.
People like Tom Steyer, Michael Bloomberg, Andrew Yang, and well everyone except the legit candidates like Sanders, Biden, Warren, and Buttigieg.
All of the others should have never been there in the first place, especially now at this point in the game.
And on the republican side, Donald Trump has no business being there in the running either. Trump should be in prison. And I hear the orange jumpsuit matches his hair.

I have a new system for pre-qualifying as a candidate.
Toss them all against a wall and whomever doesn't fall off, then they qualify.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I liked him a lot, he was probably my personal #1 choice of a not strong field of candidates. He is (and will remain) a strong voice in the Senate-which the Dems need a lot more of.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
This is something the media likes to do, always run with the race narrative. Good to see I'm not the only one who gets tired of it. Candidates stand on their own merit and the fact Obama was elected was proof that the electorate is not against people of color. We also have people of color in congress...more proof.
How many GOP legislative interns and white house interns are people of color?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
How many GOP legislative interns and white house interns are people of color?

The GOP has a racism problem. But that doesn't change the fact that dems can be really stupid over identity politics.

Just today:

Apparently, Sanders might have told Warren in 2018 that he didn't think a woman could win in 2020. He disputes this, but even if he said it, so what? Several people I know and some on this very board have said a gay candidate can't win. Those are factual predictions, not expressions of sexism or homophobia. But the mere fact Sanders might have said this makes it a big story we're all supposed to wring our hands over.

One thing Sanders is also alleged to have told Warren is that he wishes the dems would focus less on identity politics.

If he said that, he's damn right.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

Of course it was their fault, due to their white privilege, and you can thank the divisive identity politics narrative that has been promoted by liberal leaning secondary schools, the democrat party, and their celebrity supporters in their respective media outlets who thought somehow this can only be applied to the Trump loving white deplorable conservative brain defective types.

watermelon-face.gif

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004

Not their fault directly, but to some extent the fault of the democratic party. The representatives from the democratic party do not reflect the national makeup of the democratic party. Yes, democrats are light years better than republicans here, but just because they are better doesn't mean they shouldn't still try to improve. Its not like this is a one off and in most election cycles the democratic primary is filled with racially diverse candidates.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The GOP has a racism problem. But that doesn't change the fact that dems can be really stupid over identity politics.

Just today:

Apparently, Sanders might have told Warren in 2018 that he didn't think a woman could win in 2020. He disputes this, but even if he said it, so what? Several people I know and some on this very board have said a gay candidate can't win. Those are factual predictions, not expressions of sexism or homophobia. But the mere fact Sanders might have said this makes it a big story we're all supposed to wring our hands over.

One thing Sanders is also alleged to have told Warren is that he wishes the dems would focus less on identity politics.

If he said that, he's damn right.

"In private"....ok. I think there are numerous reasons almost anyone can think of that supports the idea that a Woman candidate may have difficulty being elected. Even if a person disagrees with it, they would recognize that there are hurdles to achieving it. He certainly didn't turn it into a Campaign issue.

Some have gone to ridiculous lengths to criticize him, disturbingly often on CNN.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Of course it was their fault, due to their white privilege, and you can thank the divisive identity politics narrative that has been promoted by liberal leaning secondary schools, the democrat party, and their celebrity supporters in their respective media outlets who thought somehow this can only be applied to the Trump loving white deplorable conservative brain defective types.

watermelon-face.gif
I know a lot of Forever Trumpers dont identify as racist bigoted scum. I get it. So when you hear these stories you think “nooooo way, libtards retarded again”. Sorry dude. Look around. Stephen Millers to the left of you, Sean Hannitys to your right, and here you are stuck in the middle trying to pin the race card the libs.... next up, did you know Hillary came up with birtherism on her own and did you know some democrats still hold slaves to this day?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Not their fault directly, but to some extent the fault of the democratic party. The representatives from the democratic party do not reflect the national makeup of the democratic party. Yes, democrats are light years better than republicans here, but just because they are better doesn't mean they shouldn't still try to improve. Its not like this is a one off and in most election cycles the democratic primary is filled with racially diverse candidates.

You're going to have to describe what exactly the party is doing which is causing this inequitable result that you see. I'm not buying it. Short of throwing merit out the window and using a strict quota system - impossible in a democracy - I don't see what else can be done to force an equal outcome.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
appearing more and more like 2 old white guys to pick from in the dem primary with the rest a token. and i say that as an unfortunate consequence. would have been nice to see something better on the other side too

Reactions: Fenixgoon

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yeah, some guy that had no legit business being there in the first place now leaving in the second place?
And this matters how?

Frankly, we should expect a few more to exit the race in the same manner.
People like Tom Steyer, Michael Bloomberg, Andrew Yang, and well everyone except the legit candidates like Sanders, Biden, Warren, and Buttigieg.
All of the others should have never been there in the first place, especially now at this point in the game.
And on the republican side, Donald Trump has no business being there in the running either. Trump should be in prison. And I hear the orange jumpsuit matches his hair.

I have a new system for pre-qualifying as a candidate.
Toss them all against a wall and whomever doesn't fall off, then they qualify.
Almost all of them should've been there before Mayor Pete. The last time we elected someone with basically no experience it didn't turn out very well.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

How is it the Party's fault that black voters overwhelmingly support Bidden, and very few supported either of the black candidates. Both Booker and Harris never made a platform or argument for themselves, they both acted like just showing up was enough. I personally like both of them, but "I'm here and I'm black" isn't much of a campaign.

"suspend"?

implies he's going to start it up again.
I believe there is a campaign finance reason to suspend instead of end. I think it allows them to move the left over money to a different campaign.

Reactions: Homerboy

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
You're going to have to describe what exactly the party is doing which is causing this inequitable result that you see. I'm not buying it. Short of throwing merit out the window and using a strict quota system - impossible in a democracy - I don't see what else can be done to force an equal outcome.
What part aren't you buying? That minorities make up a smaller portion of the democratic representatives compared to the general population of the party? That doesn't matter if you buy it or not, that's simply data.

Or do you question if this result is due to actions of the democratic party? If so, what I see is a party that is controlled to a large extent by the elites, even if it is to a much lesser extent than the republican party. And Caucasians comprise a much larger proportion of the elite class than other races. Certainly there are also other issues that contribute, including minorities in general not having equal access to opportunity, but these are also road blocks that you have to actively work to break down.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
How is it the Party's fault that black voters overwhelmingly support Bidden, and very few supported either of the black candidates. Both Booker and Harris never made a platform or argument for themselves, they both acted like just showing up was enough. I personally like both of them, but "I'm here and I'm black" isn't much of a campaign.

I believe there is a campaign finance reason to suspend instead of end. I think it allows them to move the left over money to a different campaign.
When republicans blame the minorities for not being able to succeed, we rightfully point out the flaw in such logic. Are we going to tolerate it among democrats? If minorities aren't able to put together successful campaigns within the democratic party, are we not going to recognize it is because they are not receiving equal opportunities?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
When republicans blame the minorities for not being able to succeed, we rightfully point out the flaw in such logic. Are we going to tolerate it among democrats? If minorities aren't able to put together successful campaigns within the democratic party, are we not going to recognize it is because they are not receiving equal opportunities?
What opportunities were they not given by the party?

Harris got air time, top billing on stage, plenty of camera time, and a lot of donations, and couldn't go anywhere with it. She had an equal opportunity. She also had more support from whites than blacks.