Boobs in the news

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

I think when you are in Rome, you should do as the Romans do.
And when the Romans come to visit you in Palm Springs, they damn well better do as the Palms Springians do.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

And when the Romans come to visit you in Palm Springs, they damn well better do as the Palms Springians do.

Are the male players also being asked to wear long sleeved shirts and trousers during play?

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I'm totally fine with naked news, topless volleyball and lingerie bowls.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

The article says they chose not to go to "Rome" which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Reactions: NTMBK

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The article says they chose not to go to "Rome" which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

That seems to me to be the most reasonable way to handle things.

I am curious if there are any real if small advantages to bikinis as attire for beach volleyball.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

I am curious if there are any real if small advantages to bikinis as attire for beach volleyball.
I think it's part just because it's on the beach where bikinis are generally worn, and because it's less stuff to get in the way and it's super light. The sports bra type of tops they were also help with stuff not flopping around while they are jumping and running all around.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

I would assume so, if, as the article notes, the climate is extremely hot and they are being forced to wear "long shirts and trousers." Would you want play volleyball in extreme heat in that attire?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Good for them, if they don't like the sexist horseshit the Qataris are trying to impose they have every right to back out and not participate.

Reactions: MrSquished

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
I would assume so, if, as the article notes, the climate is extremely hot and they are being forced to wear "long shirts and trousers." Would you want play volleyball in extreme heat in that attire?

Isn't that WHY they are "forced" to wear "long shorts and trousers"?

Traditionally in other countries, you'd expect to wear something that exposes the skin more such as bikini but, because the weather there is so hot, doing so may actually hurt you considering the time you're expected to be exposed to the sun.

Ever seen desert nomads? Have you ever wondered why they're cover from top to bottom in clothes, despite the heat?

berber-desert-og.jpg

Qatar authorities can fix this by holding the tournament indoors ... but that "kind of" defeats the purpose ...

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Isn't that WHY they are "forced" to wear "long shorts and trousers"?

Traditionally in other countries, you'd expect to wear something that exposes the skin more such as bikini but, because the weather there is so hot, doing so may actually hurt you considering the time you're expected to be exposed to the sun.

Ever seen desert nomads? Have you ever wondered why they're cover from top to bottom in clothes, despite the heat?

View attachment 40178

Qatar authorities can fix this by holding the tournament indoors ... but that "kind of" defeats the purpose ...

No, it isn't why. If it was, the men would be required to wear long trousers but they are not.

Desert nomads live in the desert all the time. For a volleyball tournament, there is this thing called sunblock.

Reactions: NTMBK

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
No, it isn't why. If it was, the men would be required to wear long trousers but they are not.

Desert nomads live in the desert all the time. For a volleyball tournament, there is this thing called sunblock.

Then you're right: that's a double standard that is not weather related.

Nov 8, 2012
It has nothing to do with attire or exposure of skin - it's LITERALLY the uniform you're supposed to wear for professionally playing volleyball. It's like asking someone to do swimming in a dress. Only a complete moron would defend such stupidity.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
After clicking all the links it seems like Qatar is not requiring the conservative attire. None of the articles explicitly say it but it seems to me from the wording that the FIVB is the one that issued the requirements "out of respect for Qatar." And yet the Qatar Volleyball Association seems to be explicitly saying that the athletes can wear whatever they want.

Reactions: pmv
Nov 8, 2012
After clicking all the links it seems like Qatar is not requiring the conservative attire. None of the articles explicitly say it but it seems to me from the wording that the FIVB is the one that issued the requirements "out of respect for Qatar."

Of course they don't "require it" it's a ploy of "Plz respect our culture that oppresses the concept of women independence and empowerment. wink/wink. You wouldn't want to disrespect our culture, would you?"

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
After clicking all the links it seems like Qatar is not requiring the conservative attire. None of the articles explicitly say it but it seems to me from the wording that the FIVB is the one that issued the requirements "out of respect for Qatar." And yet the Qatar Volleyball Association seems to be explicitly saying that the athletes can wear whatever they want.

I re-read a couple articles, and you may be correct here. Either way, the players are fully justified in not attending for the reasons they gave.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Of course they don't "require it" it's a ploy of "Plz respect our culture that oppresses the concept of women independence and empowerment. wink/wink. You wouldn't want to disrespect our culture, would you?"
Dude, just do us all a favor and STFU

Reactions: JD50

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I re-read a couple articles, and you may be correct here. Either way, the players are fully justified in not attending for the reasons they gave.
Of course. I just want to make sure any angst is directed appropriately.

Jan 25, 2011
Was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to read the actual article. this request is from the FIVB, not Qatar. Qatar has said wear your uniforms as has happened in the past.

A statement from the Qatar Volleyball Association stated athletes were free to wear their existing national uniforms, explaining that they were 'committed to ensuring that all athletes are made to feel welcome and comfortable at next month’s event'.

“We would like to make clear that we are not making any demand on what athletes should wear at the event,” the statement read.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Interesting, thanks for info

Reactions: dank69

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Regardless of who is asking - Qatar or an organization in order to respect the culture of Qatar, good on the players to choose not to acquiesce to what they feel, and what is indeed, a sexist policy propagated by backwardness in the dominant religion in the area.

Nov 8, 2012
Regardless of who is asking - Qatar or an organization in order to respect the culture of Qatar, good on the players to choose not to acquiesce to what they feel, and what is indeed, a sexist policy propagated by backwardness in the dominant religion in the area.

Hey make sure you don't wear a sombrero either - and don't let me catch you trying to make money by having a business selling tacos/burritos either.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Hey make sure you don't wear a sombrero either - and don't let me catch you trying to make money by having a business selling tacos/burritos either.

Weak troll is weak.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

You have to be a mental midget to even correlate these two events.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You have to be a mental midget to even correlate these two events.
Any headline that can somehow be tied to "liberals run amok," whether legitimate or fabricated or somewhere in-between, is 100% related to any other similar headline when your entire mission in life is to prove what you already know deep down: Democrats just as bad or worse.

• Love
Reactions: ch33zw1z