Boneheaded Illinois bans Ephedra

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What a waste of time. Why ban something that is not harmful if used properly? It is like banning alcohol, because of all the morons who get drunk and fall down. IF YOU HAVE HEALTH PROBLEMS DON'T USE EPHEDRA! ALSO, DON'T TAKE TRIPLE THE RECOMMENDED DOSAGE!

I see this as just a knee-jerk reaction to a problem that was not even a real problem.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ephedra is bad. Many people are not even aware they have health problems, Ephedra is a good way to make a minor unnoticeable problem a lot worse real fast.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
Ephedra is bad. Many people are not even aware they have health problems, Ephedra is a good way to make a minor unnoticeable problem a lot worse real fast.

If you take it outside of recommended dosages or don't visist your doctor before taking it. We should stop trying to prevent stupid people from hurting themselves.

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
as i remember correctly it was banned by the FDA long ago until the 1994 bill/act came into effect stating that they couldn't control dietary supplements or some nonsense like that. as far as i remember (from a paper i did on ephedra/ephedrine) there's no real good that can come out of this substance.

here's a snippet from googling ...

"The few studies that examined ephedrine as an ergogenic aid have not found significant benefits, and serious adverse events have resulted from taking ephedrine prior to strenuous exercise. Ephedrine is banned by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) so that taking products containing ephedrine will result in a positive drug test and disqualify an athlete. Thus, it appears that the risks of ephedrine use outweigh any potential ergogenic benefits.

Ephedrine ingestion can produce small losses in body weight. However, because weight loss is so small, products have been developed that combine ephedrine with caffeine and aspirin, which increase ephedrine's stimulatory effects. Although the combination is a more effective weight-loss agent, it also increases the likelihood of adverse events by enhancing stimulation of the central nervous system and the cardiovascular system. Those interested in using such products for weight loss should first consult with a physician."

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Maybe you should need a note from your doctor to buy it. Maybe he should suggest a dosage and recommend a source that has a high probability of supplying an accurate and unadulterated dose. Oh yea! They already have a system for dangerous stuff. they use terms like controlled substance, perscription, documented testing, quality assurance.

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
the FDA can't control herbal supplements or whatever theyre called ... so you can buy without a prescription

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Ephedra is a reasonably safe CNS stimulant . . . as Millenium notes . . . if used at appropriate doses, from a reputable source, and AFTER getting a doctor's approval (or at the very least non-objection).

I just wish they would ban cigarettes!

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
Ephedra can be dangerous even if taken in recommended doses by people with no prexisting health conditions. Many people suffer from adverse reactions to it.

I went through a very scary and painful experience after being given a ephinefren derivative by my dentist several years ago. It was the pharmaceutical version of ephedra.

That stuff really has the potential to mess up your heart.

There was also a schoolmate of mine who died after having an adverse reaction to a cold medicine containing ephedra. And he did follow directions while taking it.

That stuff should be banned.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Aceshigh
Ephedra can be dangerous even if taken in recommended doses by people with no prexisting health conditions. Many people suffer from adverse reactions to it.

I went through a very scary and painful experience after being given a ephinefren derivative by my dentist several years ago. It was the pharmaceutical version of ephedra.

That stuff really has the potential to mess up your heart.

There was also a schoolmate of mine who died after having an adverse reaction to a cold medicine containing ephedra. And he did follow directions while taking it.

That stuff should be banned.

Pseudoephedrine found in cold medicine is WAY different that straight ephedra.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Millennium
What a waste of time. Why ban something that is not harmful if used properly? It is like banning alcohol, because of all the morons who get drunk and fall down. IF YOU HAVE HEALTH PROBLEMS DON'T USE EPHEDRA! ALSO, DON'T TAKE TRIPLE THE RECOMMENDED DOSAGE!

I see this as just a knee-jerk reaction to a problem that was not even a real problem.

Welcome to America, where the hearts clead red, white, and blue; and the knees jerk faster than a whore in Thailand.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
maybe they should require that you pass a reading test before you buy them, they have warnings on the bottle as well as recommeneded dosages that would decrease the number of deaths attributed to ephedra by at least 90%

Why not ban drano? Drinking it kind of sucks because it eats up your esophagus and stomach. I know there is a warning label that tells you not to drink it, but who really cares about that or common sense nowadays?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Nitemare
maybe they should require that you pass a reading test before you buy them, they have warnings on the bottle as well as recommeneded dosages that would decrease the number of deaths attributed to ephedra by at least 90%

Why not ban drano? Drinking it kind of sucks because it eats up your esophagus and stomach. I know there is a warning label that tells you not to drink it, but who really cares about that or common sense nowadays?

Drano is not intended for consumption, Ephedra is.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Hmmm, the same can be said for aspirin, ibuprofen, Tavist-D, Thera-Flu, peanuts, strawberries, et. al., ad nauseum...

I'm all for banning things which might kill someone, but I'm also for consistency. It doesn't make any sense to ban one substance which by the FDAs own statistics is more safe than dozens if not hundreds of OTC preparations that the FDA has repeatedly deemed "safe".

Aspirin is linked with the deaths of a few hundred people annually. Ephedra hasn't been linked with that many deaths in 10 years.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: Nitemare

Drano is not intended for consumption, Ephedra is.

His point still applies. People don't follow the directions and take way higher than normal doses.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Who needs it ?

No one really . . . ephedra is not a particularly good product for weight lost or performance enhancement. In keeping with the generally schizotypal behavior of the FDA; caffeine is arguably equally efficacious as a CNS stimulant but has a clear abuse potential and is certainly physically and psychologically addictive . . . technically that would qualify caffeine as a Schedule II drug.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
It's totally unfounded, just like when the NFL banned ephedra. Ever heard the saying monkey see, monkey do? I personally use an E/C/A stack everytime I work out, and haven't had a problem yet. My doc says it's ok since I don't have a heart condition, and I just make sure I stay properly hydrated and don't overdo it.

Information links by questions/articles answered and explained by experts in the fitness field:

Link 1
Link 2 about ephedra dosing limitation myths
Link 3
Link 4 DEFINITELY READ THIS IT'S EXCELLENT!

You guys can make your own conclusions, but personally, I've been using it for about 8 years off and on in the gym and have had zero problems with it.