Bombing outside mosque in Najaf, Iraq...*Breaking News*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Originally posted by: alchemize

So that's enough to establish a causal relationship with the invasion? Were churches bombed after we invaded Germany? Japan? Panama? No. Were they after we invaded Afghanistan? Iraq? Yes. If you want to tie a causal relationship, what do the last 2 have in common that the first 3 don't? Islam.

Your second question is a much more relevant question. What exactly do they have to gain from this? If it is saddam supporters, then are they trying to incite a civil war between Shia and Sunni? If it is Shia infighting, are they that bonkers to kill 100 people to get to one? If it is Sunni, the same question applies? I guess the first one would make the most sense, since Saddam never flinched at killing the shias.

It doesn't matter if there is a causal relation with the invasion. We took out Iraqi military, police and security infrastructure, we are the governing body in Iraq, we are responsible for the security of Iraqis and anybody else that is in Iraq.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Iraqi people are definitely the big losers after this bombing. The US and allies definitely needs more support - it's difficult to provide adequate security everywhere. Other countries should start helping out if they really care about the Iraqi people.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: prontospyder
The Iraqi people are definitely the big losers after this bombing. The US and allies definitely needs more support - it's difficult to provide adequate security everywhere. Other countries should start helping out if they really care about the Iraqi people.

Why they can't do that, because that would lend legibility to the invasion! So it's of utmost importance to retain your political beliefs at the expense of human life, France, Russia, et. al. Just more proof that they are more interested in "oppossing a mega power" than doing the right thing. The UN is a joke.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002

Why they can't do that, because that would lend legibility to the invasion! So it's of utmost importance to retain your political beliefs at the expense of human life, France, Russia, et. al. Just more proof that they are more interested in "oppossing a mega power" than doing the right thing. The UN is a joke.

I don't think you read the recent event enough, the problem now with the other countries committing is because they are having problem with the command structure. They do not want to commit troops when the troops have to be under US command.

They don't want to be the tools for the US military to advance US's political/economic agenda. They want to have neutral force to be the leader in post war Iraq rebuilding effort.

How can you blame them when US started the war based on unfounded "evidence of WMD" and the whole situation reeks of political and economic agenda?

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce
Originally posted by: Aimster
I wonder who would be motivated to do this? Sounds like Saddam supporters and/or Sunni Muslims, or possibly infighting within the Shias. What a peaceful religion.

Sunni muslims hate Shia Muslims. Sunni muslims and Shia Muslims differ in so many ways that they should each have their own religion.
By the way.. Islam is a very peaceful religion. Read the Quran..

Religion is defined by the people who practice it, not the book.

Not that christianity hasn't stooped to the same levels (i.e. Catholics/Protestants in Ireland). But it didn't absorb their whole religion.

I don't see how you can say violence has absorbed the whole religion. People in Malaysia, Turkey, practically all the "stans" except Pakistan, Bangladesh, Muslims in America, the many Muslims in China, the non Chechnyan Muslims in Russia and many millions more around the world are living normal lives not "absorbed" in violence. I don't think most people realize how enourmous Islam is, or the fact that what happens in one or two countries, or the actions of a few "enemy combattants" is not representative of the whole. Palestine is not Islam, neither is Afghanistan or Indonesia. I don't see how you can think the whole religion has been taken hostage by violent extreamist when your neighbour may very well be Muslim. There are over 7 million in the US alone. Besides, I don't think this bombing was religiously motivated. It might have been, but I think this was just another effort to destabalize the situation and draw hatred b/n Sunnis and Shiites and polarize more hatred towards the US by depicting us as not having offered enough security to a country we pointlessly invaded and have reduced to quasi-chaos.

One or two countries? The US is probably the only country in the world with a large muslim population that doesn't have frequent terrorist attacks. These "enemy combatants" aren't operating in a vaccuum. They find local support in every country with a significant muslim population in the world. Even in "modern" Turkey. It may be driven by islamic fundamentalists, but the general islamic population turns a blind eye to it. Or maybe you missed the "jewish conspiracy" polls about 9/11?

If it wasn't religiously motivated, it was religiously targeted, to inspire hatred and violence between religions.

I never said one or two countries. My point was there are over 1.3 billion Muslims in the world and for you to suggest that even a sizable fraction of them are all about blowing up the great Satan and creating Jewish conspiracy theories is ludacris. The entire population of the ME is only about 10 percent of 1.3 bil, and even so, for you to suggest that every person in the ME is a fanatic is equally ridiculous. There are sizable Muslim populations in many, many countries who are living in peace just as there are predominantly Muslim countries living in peace. And what about Turkey? So it "may" be driven by Islamic fundamentalists you say? Well the US "may" be driven by Christian fundamentalists, and we turn a blind eye to that too, so whats your point?

Warin

Sep 6, 2001

lend credibility. there is nothing legible about Shrub :D

Other countries are willing to lend a hand, provided the US makes some commitments to timetables and accountabilitu. But I forgot, neo-cons think acccountability is evil.

Jan 12, 2003

I never said one or two countries. My point was there are over 1.3 billion Muslims in the world and for you to suggest that even a sizable fraction of them are all about blowing up the great Satan and creating Jewish conspiracy theories is ludacris. [/i]

...what does 'gansta rap' have to do with this, sir?

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: rchiu

I don't think you read the recent event enough, the problem now with the other countries committing is because they are having problem with the command structure. They do not want to commit troops when the troops have to be under US command.

They don't want to be the tools for the US military to advance US's political/economic agenda. They want to have neutral force to be the leader in post war Iraq rebuilding effort.

How can you blame them when US started the war based on unfounded "evidence of WMD" and the whole situation reeks of political and economic agenda?

Exactly, can you blame countries for being reticent in participating in anything to do with a war that is turning out to be more and more built on bogus reasons? Why should some third world country be bought off and send its kids to die for a mess we created? Why should any developed country commit its troops, under US command, without getting a sizable piece of the reconstruction pie in return? Out of altruism? Come on, we didn't really start this war out of altruism, why should we expect anyone else to show some?

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx

I never said one or two countries. My point was there are over 1.3 billion Muslims in the world and for you to suggest that even a sizable fraction of them are all about blowing up the great Satan and creating Jewish conspiracy theories is ludacris. [/i]

...what does 'gansta rap' have to do with this, sir?

wow, real pertinent to the conversation, bravo. Oh a spelling mistake, how funny, haha.
rolleye.gif

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Horrible, horrible tragedy.

Don't coalition forces have an obligation under the Geneva Convention to restore and ensure public order and safety? What about a responsibility for protecting the population from violence by third parties, such as armed groups or forces of the former regime?

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Don't coalition forces have an obligation under the Geneva Convention to restore and ensure public order and safety? What about a responsibility for protecting the population from violence by third parties, such as armed groups or forces of the former regime?

..don't forget heat.

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003

yes, but they stay away from mosques out of religious respect. the terrorists in this case knew exactly what they were doing. killing people is a means to their end--a civil war. they knew the US would not be patrolling the area.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
I wonder who would be motivated to do this? Sounds like Saddam supporters and/or Sunni Muslims, or possibly infighting within the Shias. What a peaceful religion.

Sunni muslims hate Shia Muslims. Sunni muslims and Shia Muslims differ in so many ways that they should each have their own religion.

Not that christianity hasn't stooped to the same levels (i.e. Catholics/Protestants in Ireland). But it didn't absorb their whole religion.

I don't see how you can say violence has absorbed the whole religion. People in Malaysia, Turkey, practically all the "stans" except Pakistan, Bangladesh, Muslims in America, the many Muslims in China, the non Chechnyan Muslims in Russia and many millions more around the world are living normal lives not "absorbed" in violence. I don't think most people realize how enourmous Islam is, or the fact that what happens in one or two countries, or the actions of a few "enemy combattants" is not representative of the whole. Palestine is not Islam, neither is Afghanistan or Indonesia. I don't see how you can think the whole religion has been taken hostage by violent extreamist when your neighbour may very well be Muslim. There are over 7 million in the US alone. Besides, I don't think this bombing was religiously motivated. It might have been, but I think this was just another effort to destabalize the situation and draw hatred b/n Sunnis and Shiites and polarize more hatred towards the US by depicting us as not having offered enough security to a country we pointlessly invaded and have reduced to quasi-chaos.

One or two countries? The US is probably the only country in the world with a large muslim population that doesn't have frequent terrorist attacks. These "enemy combatants" aren't operating in a vaccuum. They find local support in every country with a significant muslim population in the world. Even in "modern" Turkey. It may be driven by islamic fundamentalists, but the general islamic population turns a blind eye to it. Or maybe you missed the "jewish conspiracy" polls about 9/11?

If it wasn't religiously motivated, it was religiously targeted, to inspire hatred and violence between religions.

I never said one or two countries. My point was there are over 1.3 billion Muslims in the world and for you to suggest that even a sizable fraction of them are all about blowing up the great Satan and creating Jewish conspiracy theories is ludacris. The entire population of the ME is only about 10 percent of 1.3 bil, and even so, for you to suggest that every person in the ME is a fanatic is equally ridiculous. There are sizable Muslim populations in many, many countries who are living in peace just as there are predominantly Muslim countries living in peace. And what about Turkey? So it "may" be driven by Islamic fundamentalists you say? Well the US "may" be driven by Christian fundamentalists, and we turn a blind eye to that too, so whats your point?

Christian fundamentalists don't use car-bombs, suicide bombers, or call for annihilation of entire races of people. Even when they get really edgy. David Koresh is about the closest christian equivalence to what is going on in the islamic world.

Out of 1.3 billion muslims, a majority refuse to believe the truth. I guess gallup is part of a vast right wing christian conspiracy?

You live in a dream world. Islam has been hijacked, and it's followers are doing little to stop it. Most are falling in line. Baaah.

SO, they might not all be fanatics, but a majority of them support a fanatical belief.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002

They are opposed because we are trying to bury the UN! I'm sure they do want to get in and help with lucrative contracts but they are opposed because they just don't want to toss away the UN like we are trying to do!

And to think we helped found it :\

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Christian fundamentalists don't use car-bombs, suicide bombers, or call for annihilation of entire races of people. Even when they get really edgy. David Koresh is about the closest christian equivalence to what is going on in the islamic world.

Out of 1.3 billion muslims, a majority refuse to believe the truth. I guess gallup is part of a vast right wing christian conspiracy?

You live in a dream world. Islam has been hijacked, and it's followers are doing little to stop it. Most are falling in line. Baaah.

SO, they might not all be fanatics, but a majority of them support a fanatical belief.

Bush asked the whole world to take sides. I guess they picked the "wrong" one, hmmm? That's what happens when you cast the entire planet in black or white. Maybe a few hellfire missiles and unilateral attacks will make them rethink the error of their ways...

edit/spelling

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
The UN isn't the joke. The Bush administration is the joke.

They led the invasion of Iraq which the UN refused to sanction. Exactly what was the pressing concern that forced the invasion of Iraq?

Had Bush been less inclined to rush into Iraq and taken the time to build a concensus he wouldn't be in the position he's in now. Having to ask the same nations he ignored for help because it is becoming more apparent every day that the situation in Iraq is out of control.

Why the rush to invade Iraq?
Why the need for the UN now?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

Bush asked the whole world to take sides. I guess they picked the "wrong" one, hmmm? That's what happens when you cast the entire planet in black or white. Maybe a few hellfire missiles and unilateral attacks will make them rethink the error of their ways...

edit/spelling

Yes, I guess they did. Too bad for them. That's what happens when you put religion over logical rational thought.

What never ceases to amaze me, is the liberal defense of islam, the largest and most anti-free speech, anti-woman, anti-freedom of religion/separation of church and state, anti-semtic, anti-human rights religion on the planet. I'm pretty sure that you can go through every single liberal value, and not find a single one on the list of the general list of islamic values. Sickening.

Why do the liberals do this? Well, you can't possibly side with the conservatives on this one, can you? As moonbeam says...you become what you fear.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001

Oooohh the big lie! Most people in America still beleive that Saddam had something to do with 9/11. The world is full of jackasses, what's your point? They might beleive something based on misinformation, but we have used misinformation to invade a country on baseless claims, all thanks to the ingnorance of your average joe. Besides, you're always commenting on Islam but have you ever even been to a Muslim country? Do you even know any Muslims? Have you read the Quran? Or is your whole perspective of the world based on what you've seen on TV?

edit: spelling

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Yes, I guess they did. Too bad for them. That's what happens when you put religion over logical rational thought.

What never ceases to amaze me, is the liberal defense of islam, the largest and most anti-free speech, anti-woman, anti-freedom of religion/separation of church and state, anti-semtic, anti-human rights religion on the planet. I'm pretty sure that you can go through every single liberal value, and not find a single one on the list of the general list of islamic values. Sickening.

Why do the liberals do this? Well, you can't possibly side with the conservatives on this one, can you? As moonbeam says...you become what you fear.

Are you referring to the Bush administration's ludicrous policy in Iraq as logical rational thought?

If the mess in Iraq they created is the result I'll take religion.

I know Muslims. They are among the most family oriented peaceful people I know. The problem is, as is with any fanatical adaption of religion such as the "Christians" here in America who decided it was OK to murder people they disagreed with to protect life, or those "Christians" who support the death penalty, that fanatics destroy whatever ideas they embrace.

Don't blame the world's almost 2 billion Muslims for the actions of a few fanatics.

Using that logic the rest of the world is justified in blaming all Americans for the few fanatical neo-cons that make up the Bush administration.

Jan 12, 2003

Oooohh the big lie! Most people in America still beleive that Saddam had something to do about 9/11. The world is full of jackasses, whats your point? Besides, have you ever even been to a Muslim country? Do you even know any Muslims? Or is your whole perspective of the world based on what you've seen on TV?

Could you please show me how you arrived at the following conclusion:[/i]

"Most people in America still beleive that Saddam had something to do about 9/11"[/i]

I've been to Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Kuwait, and Iraq....I know a number of Muslims (over there and black Muslims in America, though not many of the latter)...so if I post some half-baked claim, like most Americans blah blah blah 9/11 blah blah muslim blah blah, does this improve my credibility? Lastly, do you want to compare Middle East resumes? You make it sound like everyone gets their information from T.V., except you, because I am guessing all of your questions apply to you...that you know Muslims...that you have been in a Muslim country...and now you know more than everyone else, 'gangsta'. You want to question the previous poster about his exposure to Islam? ....put a little 'suttin-suttin' together this weekend (I am going on vacation), and PM me...let's talk shop and see who's Middle East penis is bigger. I don't believe the 'flacid' rumors.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
<<What never ceases to amaze me, is the liberal defense of islam, the largest and most anti-free speech, anti-woman, anti-freedom of religion/separation of church and state, anti-semtic, anti-human rights religion on the planet.>>

Liberal defense of Islam?

Serious question...Why do you think so much of the world population practices this religion when it's so wrong?

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

Oooohh the big lie! Most people in America still beleive that Saddam had something to do about 9/11. The world is full of jackasses, whats your point? Besides, have you ever even been to a Muslim country? Do you even know any Muslims? Or is your whole perspective of the world based on what you've seen on TV?

"Most people in America still beleive that Saddam had something to do about 9/11"[/i]

I've been to Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Kuwait, and Iraq....I know a number of Muslims (over there and black Muslims in America, though not many of the latter)...so if I post some half-baked claim, like most Americans blah blah blah 9/11 blah blah muslim blah blah, does this improve my credibility? Lastly, do you want to compare Middle East resumes? You make it sound like everyone gets their information from T.V., except you, because I am guessing all of your questions apply to you...that you know Muslims...that you have been in a Muslim country...and now you know more than everyone else, 'gangsta'. You want to question the previous poster about his exposure to Islam? ....put a little 'suttin-suttin' together this weekend (I am going on vacation), and PM me...let's talk shop and see who's Middle East penis is bigger. I don't believe the 'flacid' rumors.

galt

What is the point of the "gangsta" reference?

You're obviously reverting to your true self. You can't argue a point without making personal attacks and that fact reveals more about you than anything else you can post.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001

Wow. You're retarded. I misspell ludicrous and now I'm a hardcore gangsta. Did you even read my post and try to understand in what context I posted what I did? Are you going to deny polls that have shown a large number of Americans beleive that Saddam had something to with 9/11? Many people linked them, I'm sure you can find it if you look. And yes, if you have seen and experienced things first hand I do beleive it improves your credibility, or are you one of those guys who visits Iraq and still pronounces it I-raq? In that case you would have no idea what I'm talking about.

Here you go:
Poll says most beleive Saddam-9/11 link
In case you don't know, anything over 50% constitutes a majority... for shizy. Jackass.

And if you don't like that source, here are the search results. There are 54,000 for you to choose from, Enjoy.
Search results.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Let's look at this situation rationally. We are talking about a pro-Iranian Ayatollah advocating Islamic Revolution in Iraq. Is that what we want? No.
We would probably be killing this guy and his supporters at some point anyways, so this saves us the hassle.