Boko Haram kills more than 2000 people in terror attack

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't pretend to have done anything.

Obama thinks she has because she held up a sign

Liberals like you think she has, because she held up a sign.

Holding up a sign does nothing.

It exposed the fact that you're nuts. That was something.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Three pages of posts? Surprised it made it past the first page. Its just Africa. People usually don't give a shit about Africa. They still don't actually. The whole world marches in solidarity in Paris because 12 people died. 2,000 die in Africa in the same way and what do they get? Three pages on ATOT. Nice.

Oh well, at least Obama will be consistent and fail to visit Nigeria as well.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
One, we identify more with Europe.
Two, we have policy arguments with regards to the European response.
Three, America faces similar (though smaller) challenges with its immigrant Muslim population.
Four, there was more video / photos / news coverage in Europe. Not much media coverage in tribal areas.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
One, we identify more with Europe.
Two, we have policy arguments with regards to the European response.
Three, America faces similar (though smaller) challenges with its immigrant Muslim population.
Four, there was more video / photos / news coverage in Europe. Not much media coverage in tribal areas.

Yeah..OR Africa is poor and the general western population can't relate to them, so they might as well be living on another planet. But the French? Everyone loves a good French roast in the morning, or French fries, or French Vanilla creamer (my favorite) not to mention they saved us in war and then we saved them later etc etc. Not to mention they are white people, you know, like the rest of the west.
But Africa? All black, poor, off the grid, no education, no resources to offer, not much in common, no influence, violence ridden, religious crap everywhere etc etc, so no one actually cares.

1 French life = 200 African lives, at least. These aren't my opinions or thoughts with regard to Africans. This is just the truth. No one cares. They only say they care because they want to say the right thing and pretend to give a shit. Its for their own self image.

In France, 3.5 million attendees and 40 world leaders participated in the march. Over 3.5 million marched in the streets for 12 people! Holy shit, how many will march for the 2,000 Africans?

Last edited:

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
What does Obama or his wife have to do with this horrific slaughter by Boko Haram? Oh that's right, nothing.

If you're unimpressed with the article in the OP or by Michelle's attempt to get a conversation started then perhaps you should go to Nigeria and fight Boko Haram; unless of course you're unwilling to do so.

http://time.com/108025/nigeria-chad-boko-haram-american-troops-obama/

Just like everything else obama does on the world stage..... he draws a red line, dares enemies to cross it... and when they do obama goes to play golf.

This tends to embolden types like boko haram.

HTFOff

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2013
This was clearly a retaliation against those imperialistic nigerians!

Few bad apples.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
In fairness, he has distinguished himself as one of this forum's five or ten most worthless, moronic trolls. That doesn't happen on its own . . .

He is a piker, he will never catch up to me.

Regarding this topic, what happens in Africa stays in Africa. I see no reason for America to involve itself in this at all. The process of changing governments is a bloody business and has been since the dawn of civilization. There is no reason for America to go over there and slaughter the "bad" people.

We are not capable of picking winners well. This is just another example of the media stoking the fires for America intervention in an unwinnable hell hole. Well fuck them all. It does not effect America's interests and our bombs will do nothing to help the native population in the long run.

I support feeding the hungry and helping with refugees. Bombing the shit out of yet another 3rd world country just makes me sick to the stomach.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
And how many people do you figure totally missed this internationally reported story until Michelle's frowny face tweet? More importantly, what do you imagine these little Rosebuds did once the First Lady so graciously got them started having "a conversation"?

Perhaps most importantly, in what world do you imagine that feeling Michelle's tweet represents some sort of action or accomplishment is anything other than partisan?

Honestly, can anyone imagine Eleanor Roosevelt after Nanking with a moue and a little sign reading "bring back our girls"? If you can't do something useful - and clearly America cannot solve every crisis in the world - at least don't be a dick and pretend you're doing something.

Within my own circle of friends/acquaintances roughly 33% had not heard of the kidnappings; that may or may not represent a significant number when extrapolated across the country/world. What the "Rosebuds/Tulip Bulbs/African Violets/why are we comparing people to flowers?" did I couldn't say; in my circle it horrified them and got them talking.

Perhaps you look at First Lady's as partisan, that's your choice. How someone is viewed is different depending on the beholder.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
1) she posted only after the faux twitter campaign started
2) she in her position of power chose to post a twitter pic to show support for kidnapped girls. WOW. Talk about trying to change something. One of the most powerful persons in the world, using a twitter pic to change the world.

2a) her picture seems to have changed nothing, because since then thosands more have been murdered.

2b)9 months after the twitter pic, the girls are still missing. That picture sure was powerful.

Yet more partisan drivel, why am I not surprised.

If the twitter campaign is faux in your opinion then perhaps you should do something real; at least something more than your well known partisan drivel posts.

I didn't expect her pic to do anything other than get more people talking; apparently you did.

I never claimed the pic was powerful, that's yet more of your partisan and sarcastic drivel.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
My question is and I have no idea what its answer is: What else did she do for this cause? If all she did was write on a piece of paper and have a pic taken I am not impressed at all.

I am extremely cynical of a lot of people's motivations, though. The ice water bucket challenge was more or less a way for celebrities to get free publicity about doing something charitable.

I couldn't say either, my point to possum, michel and others was that if it got people talking and finding out more info then it was a good thing, however small and/or insignificant (depending on the beholder of course).

I don't know what Michelle's motivations, if any were; and I seriously doubt any of us here know her well enough to say.

It is the way of P&N to dismiss without thought actions taken by people in or connected to members of the government.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Yeah..OR Africa is poor and the general western population can't relate to them, so they might as well be living on another planet. But the French? Everyone loves a good French roast in the morning, or French fries, or French Vanilla creamer (my favorite) not to mention they saved us in war and then we saved them later etc etc. Not to mention they are white people, you know, like the rest of the west.
But Africa? All black, poor, off the grid, no education, no resources to offer, not much in common, no influence, violence ridden, religious crap everywhere etc etc, so no one actually cares.

1 French life = 200 African lives, at least. These aren't my opinions or thoughts with regard to Africans. This is just the truth. No one cares. They only say they care because they want to say the right thing and pretend to give a shit. Its for their own self image.

In France, 3.5 million attendees and 40 world leaders participated in the march. Over 3.5 million marched in the streets for 12 people! Holy shit, how many will march for the 2,000 Africans?

Unfortunately accurate.

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
I know this sounds incredibly shallow and off-topic, but Belgium claims to have invented "French" fries first. Regardless of who is right, fries seem far more commonly eaten here than in France.

...I feel the fact that I brought this up in a thread about a massacre suggests I have problems

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I know this sounds incredibly shallow and off-topic, but Belgium claims to have invented "French" fries first. Regardless of who is right, fries seem far more commonly eaten here than in France.

...I feel the fact that I brought this up in a thread about a massacre suggests I have problems

Boko Harken who? Harem what? Fuck it I don't got time to figure out their stupid African slang. On to the next thread.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Advocate the military solution.

Is it just because Islam is involved that you now want military action in Africa?

Absurdly fucked up shit, up to and including genocide, has been going on there for a very long time and we haven't seemed to give two fucks. Now some muslims kill 2,000 and people are calling for military action, do you just want to blow up the muslims or are you after all the bad guys on the continent?

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
Even a Republican Administration would not seriously consider military action in Africa. Despite Bush's talk of planting seeds of democracy, that was only ever a case for invading places with huge oil reserves or in strategically tempting positions

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

That's the sad truth.

Most people are also ignorant as to one of the significant contributing factors to the shithole that a lot of Africa is. The British Empire "colonized" (a nice word for "oh you guys have spears and don't have a flag, we have guns and a flag so ours bitches") a fuckton of African countries and after WWII when they "gave" the countries back they simply pulled out like it was a chick that just told them she wasn't on the pill. In doing so they left a huge power vacuum and countries that didn't really know how to run themselves and now they had guns.

I'm not trying to point any fingers or anything, as it really doesn't matter at this point, just adding some context.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Regarding this topic, what happens in Africa stays in Africa. I see no reason for America to involve itself in this at all. The process of changing governments is a bloody business and has been since the dawn of civilization. There is no reason for America to go over there and slaughter the "bad" people.

We are not capable of picking winners well. This is just another example of the media stoking the fires for America intervention in an unwinnable hell hole. Well fuck them all. It does not effect America's interests and our bombs will do nothing to help the native population in the long run.

I support feeding the hungry and helping with refugees. Bombing the shit out of yet another 3rd world country just makes me sick to the stomach.
Both Obama and Cameron did offer some common-sense help, company- and platoon-size specialty detachments for recce, SigInt, and COIN training. Personally I'd be all for bombing the shit out of Boko Haram, but there are maybe 10,000 - 30,000 fighters controlling a territory maybe 20,000 square miles (over half a million hectares!) and they mostly attack in small groups. Aiming the bombs tends to be, um, problematic.

Within my own circle of friends/acquaintances roughly 33% had not heard of the kidnappings; that may or may not represent a significant number when extrapolated across the country/world. What the "Rosebuds/Tulip Bulbs/African Violets/why are we comparing people to flowers?" did I couldn't say; in my circle it horrified them and got them talking.

Perhaps you look at First Lady's as partisan, that's your choice. How someone is viewed is different depending on the beholder.
Why on Earth would you hang out with such ignorant people? More importantly, what did getting them talking accomplish? Is there some power in mass ignorance that I'm missing?

Rosebud is from Citizen Kane. According to Orson Wells, it symbolized simplicity and innocence, which seemed to me to be a pretty good tag for people unaware of the world around them.

Even a Republican Administration would not seriously consider military action in Africa. Despite Bush's talk of planting seeds of democracy, that was only ever a case for invading places with huge oil reserves or in strategically tempting positions
Might want to Google Nigeria. It's got oil out the ass.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Might want to Google Nigeria. It's got oil out the ass.

Honest question, do they have the "right" kind of crude that our refineries are used to processing and do they have deepwater ports and infrastructure to load up supertankers full of that crude? If not their oil is relatively useless to us.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007

Africa, like no other place in the world, deserves some protection from the Muslims. These are like babes, being attacked by sword bearing apostles of Mohammad.

It's true that Tribalism exists, and the Rwandan massacres were also outrageous (tutu v hutsi) but those were religious too.

At the base is just people. People like you and I.

We should not stand by as a nation and watch hate, massacres, or terrorism.

Especially these Muslim Terrorists, as they are a direct threat to Civilization as we know it.

-John

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Africa, like no other place in the world, deserves some protection from the Muslims. These are like babes, being attacked by sword bearing apostles of Mohammad.

It's true that Tribalism exists, and the Rwandan massacres were also outrageous (tutu v hutsi) but those were religious too.

Especially these Muslim Terrorists, as they are a direct threat to Civilization as we know it.

-John

Pretty well said. I agree with you generally. Unfortunately I don't believe we have the political or national will to do much. I won't say all Islam is wrong, but there are issues within wahhabism that must be addressed.

Last edited:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

-John

Versus genocidal assholes in the same area who are a threat to civilization as they know it and do shit like make fathers rape daughters at gunpoint and countless other unspeakable atrocities? Naw, we don't have time to get involved with that dumb shit, not our problems bro. Then some other asshole said ALAH AHKBAR before he killed a bunch of people in the same relative area and now its "tell the marines to mount up and make sure they bring their sunscreen, get the navy to reroute a few carrier battle groups and tell the Air Force to start loading bombs baby!

Its not like this is the worst shit that has happened over there in the last decade or two but now all of a sudden certain people, who couldn't find two fucks to give while swimming in an ocean full of fucks before, all of a sudden give a fuck?