BOINC update cause blue screen of death?

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I think it was a windows or NVIDIA driver or something else that just yesterday started causing my Blue Screens. Windows 10 Home on this puter.

I tried several different driver updates, software un-install / reinstalls, but finally gave up and re-installing Windows seems to have fixed it.

Just asking if anyone has had BOINC update or threads cause Windows instability in the past? This box has ran well for several years, and just recently (though a few days after an auto Windows update) started Blue Screening with many different crash issues. I thought it might be the memory or motherboard, but after running many test and finally just re-installing Windows it is looking good. Don't use this box much more than for BOINC, so was surprised to have it be Windows.

An auto Windows update a few years ago took out one of my laptops, so I guess I should not be that surprised?

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Please ignore.... Does not look like I can delete this thread? If someone else can please delete, or tell me how I can.

I had forgot to add that over the weekend I had updated BOINC from 7.14.2 to 7.16.11 though I don't know why I would touch something that was working just fine... :)

Turns out I am still having issues after running o.k. for like 4 hours. Might be silicon degradation as I have been undervolting this 1700x for years for DC and not had issues, but now it looks to be still unstable at old undervoltage settings still and at 3.5 ghz...

It must of crashed and corrupted Windows at some point over the weekend.

Sorry for the posts, but I think it is an under-volting issue or this cheap b350 MSI board is dying. Several different memory tests all show good.

I am going to pump up the undervoltage voltage and see if I can get this stable again at 3.5....

Please ignore all of this....

Reactions: Assimilator1

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ignoring.

.....but this is how we figure things out sometimes. good luck.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Also ignoring ;)

But still useful to know and to remind us that finely tuned under/overclocks etc can become unstable in the long run.

(Is the next poster going to be a 99er too? ;) )

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
So, this puter only seems to BSOD when I post here. So if one of you have hacked it and are the cause, please have mercy!

I now think......I #1, should not touch puters that are running well.
#2, keep an even better log of hardware and software changes that are made...by myself / idiot.
#3, at this moment, I don't think it was a Windows 10 update, under-volt degradation issue, or a BOINC update that is the cause of my problem... but this is only after 10 hours or so, so...
#4, I had also updated HWinNFO64 to the latest non-beta version. I think this is the cause of the BSODS..... I love this program and need to contribute as it has been a few years.

After several software rebuilds and memory / hardware tests and now undervolting back to where it was, everything seems to be fine on v6.40 version of HWiNFO. Unless one of you all are responsible for a frustrating hack of the BOINC machine :)

If you are not, then please just ignore this all, as the latest BOINC seems to be running well and as expected.

I don't plan on updating anything besides what Windows requires on this puter ever again.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
At this time, this thread has 216 views. Quite a few people who are not ignoring it. Uh oh, what does this mean?
We are human. We are curious souls. The same reason everyone slows down to look at a traffic accident. :smile:

Back to ignoring.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Re HWinfo64, both my rigs are on v6.40, no probs so far (bar when I unplugged a SATA drive from an eSATA port before I'd enabled hot swapping!), also v6.40 is the latest one AFAIK , at least neither rigs have asked for an update.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I am now back on v6.40-4330 and stable again with no BSODs for past 24 hours.

The BSODs showed up with v6.42 that popped up for me last weekend to update. Released on 1/26/2021. Good advice is to wait to upgrade, when asked by the software ! :) Like I said, I don't normally upgrade stuff on the this machine and I only check on this puter like once a week. Don't know why I went crazy and upgraded BOINC, HWinfo64, etc. This has cost me many hours of troubleshooting this week.

v6.42 I have read has had some AMD issues, but not listed for older 2017ish hardware, so be warned.

Reactions: Assimilator1

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I am now back on v6.40-4330 and stable again with no BSODs for past 24 hours.

The BSODs showed up with v6.42 that popped up for me last weekend to update. Released on 1/26/2021. Good advice is to wait to upgrade, when asked by the software ! :) Like I said, I don't normally upgrade stuff on the this machine and I only check on this puter like once a week. Don't know why I went crazy and upgraded BOINC, HWinfo64, etc. This has cost me many hours of troubleshooting this week.

v6.42 I have read has had some AMD issues, but not listed for older 2017ish hardware, so be warned.
Just so you know.... linux is way faster than windows doing boinc, also more stable, and does not need the amd drivers.

But if you only have one box, that could be an issue.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I have multiple Boxi, so I do need to consider Linux on this one. Just more learning curve.

And I am really beginning to think that one of you are playing with me. Not 3 minutes after my last post in this thread, guess what? BSODed... after 24+ hours of running just dandy.

It may be hardware related at this point.... I'll keep playing with this puter and troubleshooting...

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I have multiple Boxi, so I do need to consider Linux on this one. Just more learning curve.

And I am really beginning to think that one of you are playing with me. Not 3 minutes after my last post in this thread, guess what? BSODed... after 24+ hours of running just dandy.

It may be hardware related at this point.... I'll keep playing with this puter and troubleshooting...
biodoc and I both have scripts for installing linux. I don't know squat about linux, but 15 of my boxes are running it, solid.

Just follow the script, and then reply with any problems.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
O.k. I am going to stick with Windows for now, until I figure out if this is software or hardware. Though I don't planning on posting more from this machine until I have better confidence in what is the problem.

Have a great weekend!