Discussion Boinc Projects: What are your numeric goals?

archeye

Aug 30, 2019
Hi all DC'ers,

I realise there is more than the projects under the Boinc banner that are included in Distributed Computing support but for me that is all I work with (for now).

So, when your 'super computer's' are crunching away on your current supported projects do you have any numeric goals that you look to achieve.

I use Boincstats.com for my data.

For example and for me I look to be;
  • For a project I support to be in the first 50,000 of the contributors.
    • Seti - I am at 202,037
    • Rosetta - I am at 136,974
    • World Community Grid - I am at 107,995
    • So plenty of work there still to do for these 3 projects
    • In all my other projects I am below my target of 50,000
  • Team - to be less than 100 in the ranking and the same for each supported project.
    • Current TeAm AnandTech position = 91 :)
    • Seti - I am 270
    • Rosetta - I am 221
  • Country - to be less than 100 in the ranking and the same for each supported project.
    • There are plenty of projects where I do not meet this but this is something to look at after I achieve the above 2 tasks.
So don't be shy, what, if any numeric goals do you have?

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Not a bad set of goals friend! :)

Several of us prefer FreeDC's stats, and one thing they do is 'milestones': 1k, 10k, 25k, 50k, 100k, 250k, 500k, 750k, 1M, then it starts jumping too much, 2.5M, 5M, 10M....1B.

WCG on the other hand, not only has points, but for the subprojects they have milestones for 'years of computation' (as compared to some 'standard' computer they have in the lab). I still have two projects there I am trying to get to the 50 year milestone. (That would make me have 4 50year, and 3 10year sub-projects, then I'll likely move on for a while)

Going back to FreeDC, another thing I like is they show you your rank, as compared to all the other people who joined 'x' project on the same day. I like to be 'top of the class' compared to others who joined the project the same day as me. :) I don't think I'll ever get higher than 5th in SETI though, must have been a special day, all sorts of people joined that day. :)

Come Spring of 2020, I hope to have my last two sub-projects of WCG up to 50 years each, Einstein up to 500M, Asteroids well past 25M, and Rosetta to 10M and maybe I'll have a little time left to do some Universe (next milestone at 50M, but far away at the moment).

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Back before I BOINCed (Is that a word, now?), I was doing SoB, using their own client. I did that for like, YEARS. I had a buddy helping me out with that too, back in the day, when he wasn't gaming. (He was paying the electricity to run it.) Together with my three PCs, and his, I finally cracked, I think top-100 on the project. Maybe top-10, I forget. Probably not top-10, I'm probably mis-remembering. Maybe just top-100 for the TeAm, and not world-wide. I don't remember, only that I cracked top-100 somehow of something related to SoB, after like five long years. That project didn't use GPUs, I don't think. Just CPU cycles, more cores the better. It was heavy on memory bandwidth, a quad-core Core2Quad wasn't equal to 4x of single-thread instances, it was less. Newer architectures got along with it better, that had IMCs.

emoga

May 13, 2018
Let's see, realistic boinc goals...

Top Ten in LHC? - Currently 13th on stat sites (website is 27).

Top 100 in Einstein? - Currently 165th on stat sites...I have a ways to go. ;)

Link to stats

• Wow
Reactions: TennesseeTony

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I like FreeDC for stats. I pick one of the various projects that I have run and try to move them up in the 'milestone' ranking.
When FB is working I use that as a second 'opinion' to try and help the TeAm advance there also.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
:eek: How the Hades are you getting 1M ppd on LHC!!!!?
No kidding, that's a lotta "oomph."

This is a timely thread; with the possible demise of Formula BOINC, I need to re-assess my priorities. For now I am just watching my ranking within the TeAm to make sure I am giving projects a proportional share of compute time relative to my TeAmmates. I'm not sure this is a great strategy, though.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
WCG on the other hand, not only has points, but for the subprojects they have milestones for 'years of computation' (as compared to some 'standard' computer they have in the lab).
I understood that this is actually not normalized to a standard computer; it's 1:1 the CPU time spent for WCG, regardless if on a core of a liquid nitrogen cooled desktop processor, or on a core of an antique cell phone.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
I was going to argue that I get close to 200 days credit per day sometimes, but, uhm, yeah, sometimes I have close to 200 threads running. :) Cool, I've learned something. Now let's see how long it takes me to forget it. :(

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
My goal is do do as much as I can in every medical DC project. Well, in the major ones.

Rosetta, number 137 overall, number 2 in TEAM.
WCG number 191 overall, and number 1 for TEAM
F@H Number 21 overall, and number 1 TEAM.