BOINC projects for old GPUs?

TheInternal

Jul 7, 2006
Howdy all.

I recently broke the top 5000 in the US for BOINC rank, as well as breaking 15,000 in the world for contribution to BOINC, and it occurred to me... I have a number of older GPUs sitting around and would be tickled if I could put some of them towards some GPU computing, even if they are old.

In particular, I have an old Geforce 7950 GT 2-way SLI system I'd love to put towards some GPU computing, but I don't know if there are any BOINC projects that have support for GPUs that old. Does anyone know of any that I could put my older computer to use on the rendering?

Thanks!

Kiska

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Those Geforce 7950's will not run on any GPU project as they lack OpenCL or CUDA both are not included in the architecture of the GPU's in question. And even if they do have them it's too slow to count towards any project.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Yeah, there were (and may still be) a few projects that could use some very old AMD ATI GPUs, but nothing can use nVidia GPUs prior to the Geforce 8000 series.

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Up until last spring I was using an ATI HD 3850 on the Einstein@Home project, but then they discontinued support for it in favor of a minimum of HD 5xxx series and higher.

I have since gotten a HD 6770 this summer, but it's hampered by my CPU still being an old dual-core Athlon x64 so the performance just isn't there yet. Once I get around to getting a Phenom II x4 that my board can handle, I'll be able to use it effectively.

Last edited:

QuietDad

Dec 18, 2005
Milkyway@home and set@home will run. You may have to use the Lunatics optimized apps with Seti@home, but it will be ok.