BOINC Pentathlon 2022

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Im slowly switching over to universe for the duration of the challenge. I dont have time to try any bunkering or anything, so will just run as is for the time being.

Looks like universe does ok with SMT? Doesn't seem to change run times setting 4 vs 8 at a time on my 2400g(4 core/8 thread) ~4 hours per WU.

EDIT: Looks like universe runs best on linux? from the forums looks like people getting twice as fast on linux than windows. I might have to set up a VM and see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orange Kid

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't know about SMT, but Linux is way faster.
Some are using WSL with Linux, but I am clueless on that.

mmonnin03

Nov 7, 2006
Yes you can use WSL. I don't care to bunker with it as it can be a PIA to monitor as BOINCTasks and boinctui doesn't always respond

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I think I tried the NumberFields GPU app, but it didn't support my older OS. So it's all PrimeGrid for me. :)

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
The Numberfields GPU app isn't worth running anyway. Put all GPUs in PrimeGrid and mix up the CPUs in Numberfields and Universe for now.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Number Fields GPU app is twice as fast as the CPU app for me.
That said, in the time it takes to run two GPU tasks, I can run 16 to 32 CPU tasks or more depending on machine. So unless you have hundreds of GPU's, ya, run the CPU version.

Reactions: Ken g6

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Number Fields GPU app is twice as fast as the CPU app for me.
That said, in the time it takes to run two GPU tasks, I can run 16 to 32 CPU tasks or more depending on machine. So unless you have hundreds of GPU's, ya, run the CPU version.

That's what I mean. The GPU app might be faster task for task, but when you can run many tasks at once it only takes running 2 tasks on a CPU to finish the same number of tasks in the same period of time (assuming the GPU is indeed twice as fast)

@Pokey I pinged you on discord, but I'm not sure you get notifications on it often or noticed. We need (I need you) to run all your GPUs on Primegrid in about 4 days. Yes, please. ALL of them. I asked @Markfw if he would do the same and I am pretty sure he will. (So the F@H battle between you two can resume normal operations after :tearsofjoy:) Between you and mark alone it should help us on the PG challenge a lot. We took first last year on the event, so we have a Gold medal to defend!

Everyone else,

Please put all GPUs on PG as stated above. You have 4 days before this event starts, so bunker if you know how or wish to.
If you wish to switch between projects, then start bunkering Numberfields. (Please get on discord or PM me direcly so I can let you know when to drop the bunker)
If you wish to just run a single project (CPU) during the challenge then run Universe@home and it starts in 4 hours, so start now.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Which primegrid task ? I know you have to configure it for some subtask.

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
Everyone else,

Please put all GPUs on PG as stated above. You have 4 days before this event starts, so bunker if you know how or wish to.
If you wish to switch between projects, then start bunkering Numberfields. (Please get on discord or PM me direcly so I can let you know when to drop the bunker)
If you wish to just run a single project (CPU) during the challenge then run Universe@home and it starts in 4 hours, so start now.
OK, F@H is finishing up its last WU, I have registered with PG and have PPS Sieve selected as the sole project CUDA only). Is there something specific recommended in terms of app_config or just rely on the project settings online? Sorry, never had run PG before, so I have no clue :D

Reactions: Fardringle

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Make sure you, at the top, uncheck CPU. So it doesn't run on CPU. Outside that, you should be good.

CPUs should be on Universe@Home right now unless you know how to bunker. Then bunker Numberfields@home

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
Make sure you, at the top, uncheck CPU. So it doesn't run on CPU. Outside that, you should be good.

CPUs should be on Universe@Home right now unless you know how to bunker. Then bunker Numberfields@home
Yeah, that was the first thing I did (uncheck CPU). I know how to bunker, but I don't have much time to actually do this right now, so my CPUs are best used on Universe@Home at the moment, so nothing gets messed up ;)

Reactions: cellarnoise

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
OK, F@H is finished, now I'm on PG, bunker's building up. I've reported a single WU because it was too fast, and I was distracted :D

@Skillz Let me know, when to drop it (don't have discord et al., so maybe PM or E-Mail?).

Edit: Just realized there's no timing issue with PG bunker drops as this is the cross-country event, so just ignore this, my bad. I'll just drop everything once the event has started.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skivelitis2

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
@Pokey I pinged you on discord, but I'm not sure you get notifications on it often or noticed. We need (I need you) to run all your GPUs on Primegrid in about 4 days. Yes, please. ALL of them. I asked @Markfw if he would do the same and I am pretty sure he will. (So the F@H battle between you two can resume normal operations after :tearsofjoy:) Between you and mark alone it should help us on the PG challenge a lot. We took first last year on the event, so we have a Gold medal to defend!
No problem, be glad to.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
OK, F@H is finished, now I'm on PG, bunker's building up. I've reported a single WU because it was too fast, and I was distracted :D

@Skillz Let me know, when to drop it (don't have discord et al., so maybe PM or E-Mail?).

Edit: Just realized there's no timing issue with PG bunker drops as this is the cross-country event, so just ignore this, my bad. I'll just drop everything once the event has started.

That is correct, drop the PG bunker as soon as the event starts.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I am trying, but loosing headway. Started with 5000 some, now up to 6000 some. All open, networking fully enabled.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Unlike yesterday, I can hardly download anything from Universe@home. So I wondered if it is perhaps a bonus day today and came visiting here for Pentathlon news...
200% Bonus now for Universe if you can get anything uploaded.
Okay.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
we do not know what the Obstacle will consist of.
Since this is Universe@home: The obstacle will be the server struggling with file uploads on the obstacle days.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am surprised about an obstacle day being called so early though. Some if not all in the organizers group don't like speculative bunkering. While the bonus day on May 6 is not as ideal as May 5 for those who bunkered speculatively, it is still quite OK regarding the timing.

And it's a 200% (x3) day even, which makes it all so much weirder.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
I am surprised about an obstacle day being called so early though. Some if not all in the organizers group don't like speculative bunkering. While the bonus day on May 6 is not as ideal as May 5 for those who bunkered speculatively, it is still quite OK regarding the timing.

And it's a 200% (x3) day even, which makes it all so much weirder.

I was also surprised a 3x day happened this early.