Discussion Boinc: GoofyGrid: Trojan Detection

archeye

Aug 30, 2019
Now the image I post here is from a while ago I and I realise that but I would still like to know how other people would handle this situation.

I had several of the events detected that I show in the image below.

When I questioned this on the GoofyGrid forum the answer was I should exclude Boinc directory from scans.

Personally I thought that was a terrible thing to do and so I did not and instead I have not run any further tasks from the Goofy project.

As I see it all of the volunteer supporters of Distributed Projects allow many executables to be downloaded onto their computing device(s) and for me I want to know these are safe for my computing environment so I consider it mandatory that all incoming applications, executables, etc are scanned.

Supporting Distributed Projects is something Iam happy to do but this is a secondary role I consider for my PC, others may bump this up to a primary role. As a secondary role I want to protect my primary role which is just the normal correspondence, watch something, podcasts, a bit of gaming, or just messing around with google searches.

So I would appreciate you thoughts on this as a general point for any Distributed Project.

Trojan Detected.JPG

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I had Windows 10 Defender report "miniZ.exe" and "Zenemy.exe" miners as trojans in Nicehash 1.9.2.19. Nasties are out there!

(And I'm not talking about being identified as a "Bitcoin miner trojan", I mean, a full-on RAT - remote access trojan.)

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Goofyxgrid has been one of the most stupid projects. I think the original project was to simulate "infinite monkeys". As in the idea that infinite monkeys typing will eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare.

I don't know if they're working on anything useful but I doubt it.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
My ISP bugged me for weeks when I ran Distributed Hardware Evolution, about Trojan/virus activity from my address. Fortunately I was only running it on one machine, I haven't run it since, and only a OS re-install stopped my ISP's emails, although triple suites of security software said the PC was clean.

archeye

Aug 30, 2019
This for me is very interesting to read of other instances of virus related issues for distributed computing.
I will certainly be more careful in the future but even that does not mean I will be wise enough to not choose a bad project.
I use Malwarebytes as my prime block and windows security of course as its built in but I am not even clear if Malwarebytes scans all downloads such as those from distributed projects as it was windows security that picked up the one i posted in the starting message. I guess I need to check this out in more detail.
Anyway, thanks for your comments all, much appreciated.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Goofyxgrid has been one of the most stupid projects. I think the original project was to simulate "infinite monkeys". As in the idea that infinite monkeys typing will eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare.

I don't know if they're working on anything useful but I doubt it.

That's basically what it does. It's an NCI project though so you can run it along side other projects and it wont have any kind of impact on them. (NCI = Non-CPU intensive). So if you have a 20 core CPU and running 20 WCG tasks you can also run the 4 GxG tasks and it wont negatively impact the 20 WCG running. (So you'd have 24 tasks running; 20 WCG and 4 GxG)

It's not much different than running the Math Projects.