BOINC Games- Live for Alpha Testing

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
boincgames.PNG

Some of you may be aware that there has been a project underway for some time by @Skillz (with assistance from the rest of the TeAm) to create a new BOINC competition called BOINC Games. This is a brand new competition that is unlike any other, and will run year round. It aims to be a fun and fair competition that all participants and teams are welcome to join. There are some unique things about BOINC Games that should keep things fun and interesting-

1. Each user needs to register and when registering has to change their BOINC name on a single project to a randomly generated string. This allows BOINC Games to validate that the person that registered is the owner of that BOINC account. This also means that it requires active participation from team members that want to be a part of BOINC Games.

2. The teams on BOINC Games are not associated in any way with your actual BOINC team affiliation. This will allow people to create sub teams or join up with other teams, etc. without actually changing the BOINC team affiliation. This change can only happen once per year, though, to avoid team hopping during the competition.

3. There will be practice sprints to ensure that all projects that are used for sprints are capable of running them.

Please join us for alpha testing BOINC Games by registering at the following link - https://www.boincgames.com/register.php You will need your cross project identifier when registering, which can be found on any BOINC project by logging in, going to 'Your Account' --> Computing --> Cross project statistics and it will be listed there. If you have any questions please post here, and if members from any other teams see this post please feel free to join us in alpha testing.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
If you guys have trouble registering or any other issues please let me know so I can look into it. Site is very new, so there will be issues early on. Hopefully I can get all the problems ironed out before the start of 2022.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
@Markfw you gonna join the team here?
I can't find CPID when I login to Rosetta for example. I see this, but not marked as CPID

"User ID
Used in community functions" (a 6 character number)

I also somewhere found "weak account key" (a 232 character alpha-numeric key)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
It's called Cross-project ID: on rosetta@home. It's right under the Computing and credit section of your profile.

Your CPID is: 1e3c717b1e6f89ceea3861f0a42a28dd
That does not match my weak account key, but I will use it.

And it wants me to change by BOINC name to some wierd string.. Then I can't see what I am doing. Its markfw in WCG and Mark_F_Williams in Rosetta.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
That does not match my weak account key, but I will use it.

And it wants me to change by BOINC name to some wierd string.. Then I can't see what I am doing. Its markfw in WCG and Mark_F_Williams in Rosetta.

Your weak account key is a substitute of your password. Not the same thing as the CPID.

Yes, pick a project either WCG or Rosetta (Since those are the only two you run lol) and change your name to that string of characters. Then wait up to 48 hours for the CPID to be verified. Once it's verified you can change it back to your regular name.

You'll be the first, to my knowledge, to use WCG or Rosetta@home to confirm your CPID so please let me know here if it doesn't work in 2 days.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Your weak account key is a substitute of your password. Not the same thing as the CPID.

Yes, pick a project either WCG or Rosetta (Since those are the only two you run lol) and change your name to that string of characters. Then wait up to 48 hours for the CPID to be verified. Once it's verified you can change it back to your regular name.

You'll be the first, to my knowledge, to use WCG or Rosetta@home to confirm your CPID so please let me know here if it doesn't work in 2 days.
OK, updated. I can change it back in 2 days ?

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
OK, updated. I can change it back in 2 days ?

Keep checking your account on BOINC Games. Once your CPID is validated you can change it back. This could take, in normal conditions, up to 48 hours. Since you're the first one using WCG or Rosetta@home to do this, I need to ensure the stats are pulling for those. So far, I've made a couple mistakes in the URLs for WCG.

If your CPID isn't validated within' 48 hours reply here or send me a PM directly so I can look into it, please.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Keep checking your account on BOINC Games. Once your CPID is validated you can change it back. This could take, in normal conditions, up to 48 hours. Since you're the first one using WCG or Rosetta@home to do this, I need to ensure the stats are pulling for those. So far, I've made a couple mistakes in the URLs for WCG.

If your CPID isn't validated within' 48 hours reply here or send me a PM directly so I can look into it, please.
Its Rosetta. Since its not my standard markfw, hoping I can standardize that after validated.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Registered. Now, waiting for the CPID to get verified.

Looking at the member list on boincstats.com I see your CPID still hasn't validated.

I then checked your name on free-dc for both WCG and Rosetta, since I know you crunch both of those projects and your name hasn't been changed to a random string of characters.

So I did some more digging and found that you did change your name at SiDock@Home; which wont work. SiDock@home hasn't been added to BOINCGames.com yet and I am not going to add it until AFTER this challenge is over because connecting to the site is well... impossible most of the time.

You'll need to use one of the Marathon projects that have already been added to the system. A list of them can be found at the bottom of your profile page or by going here: https://www.boincgames.com/marathons.php

I understand it's a bit confusing at first. Soon as I figure out what page I need to edit to display some helpful information on how to do this I will write it up.

Reactions: voodoo5_6k

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I think I have registered under WCG and changed my WCG name until being validated.

Which it does not appear to have happed yet after TWO minutes.

I guess I will wait some.

Let the Games Begin!

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
Looking at the member list on boincstats.com I see your CPID still hasn't validated.

I then checked your name on free-dc for both WCG and Rosetta, since I know you crunch both of those projects and your name hasn't been changed to a random string of characters.

So I did some more digging and found that you did change your name at SiDock@Home; which wont work. SiDock@home hasn't been added to BOINCGames.com yet and I am not going to add it until AFTER this challenge is over because connecting to the site is well... impossible most of the time.

You'll need to use one of the Marathon projects that have already been added to the system. A list of them can be found at the bottom of your profile page or by going here: https://www.boincgames.com/marathons.php

I understand it's a bit confusing at first. Soon as I figure out what page I need to edit to display some helpful information on how to do this I will write it up.
Thanks :) Yeah, I was almost sure, that I'll have to pick something from the list on the site after it didn't get validated after a day, but wanted to give it some time as almost everything is still under construction, and maybe the list of projects there was just outdated. Then, of course, I forgot to check again :D I now picked Einstein@Home. Let's see how that goes.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Free-DC stats for Rosetta now show my new name.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
b-games should confirm your CPID next time it pulls the stats for rosetta@home. Sometime tomorrow.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I don't get it, 2 full days of stats, and I am still not verified.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
I don't get it, 2 full days of stats, and I am still not verified.

Something is wrong with Rosetta@Home stats and I am not sure what. Been looking around to see if I can figure it out, but I'm gonna have to most likely wait till the programmer is back at work Monday morning so he can take a look at it for me and see what the issue is.

Please be patient. We will get it sorted out.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Something is wrong with Rosetta@Home stats and I am not sure what. Been looking around to see if I can figure it out, but I'm gonna have to most likely wait till the programmer is back at work Monday morning so he can take a look at it for me and see what the issue is.

Please be patient. We will get it sorted out.
Well, it recognized my CPID, so I am back to markfw !

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Yes, seems the issue was Rosetta's file size was so large (over 400MB) that it wasn't finishing before timing out. Still not sure it's completely fixed, as the development team is still looking into it.